MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

MAS aims to be Asia's No.1

You guys probably need to lighten up. Its just an analogy. When tony fernandes put out the ad in singapore saying "there's a new girl in town,twice the fun, half the price"...there is an obvious innuendo towards prostitution but nobody jump maa. lighten up lar. we're not talking about presidents or heads of states here. its just businessmen :drinks:

Unless you consider tony's act as 'very malaysian' as well lah, then i have nothing to say. or if you say its okay to say in in advertising, but not okay to say in press conference. in which case, i also rest my case.

but hey, good luck to MH on their quest. With planned fleet and product upgrades, people have every reason to be optimistic.

Reading this aim gives me a good laugh and does not require rocket scientist to make them one :-)

All they need is good financial support to ...

1 Ensure that the fares remains as attractive as others.

2 Products should be better thn others , esp. the likes of EK/SQ/CX...etc with progressive improvements to stay ahead. They hv to think beyond the norm. Say can ...36' EYCL pitch across the fleet? or individual fridge in Business and First long haul ? or perhaps 3D entertainment system ?

3 Aircraft consistently new. Y 5 and not 3 years average fleet ? once all 738 arrived, start replacing with ....

4 be generous interms of meals, amenities and comfort for passengers and not forgetting good enrich programme.

and Government and the "owner's" support is also essential ... the very least is to enforce it's executives, associates and ( foreign and local) consultants to travel on MH premier cabins and not limited to certain higher level only. Similar arrangements are done in other countries.

On another note; transferring some routes to FY sounds good as long as similar products are offered. I.e. Business Class, FQTV , meals... should b at least like SQ-MI and QF-JQ , only better service of course!

I believe MH prefers to lease B747 capacity while its own regional cargo will be carried by the new and fuel efficient A332F. The A380 will replace the B744.

I think the main reason why MH is holding back any new orders for B772 replacement is because they really don't know if they need to order more A380s, B77W, A350 or B787. I think that once the new A333 and A380 operations settle down, they will be in a better position to decide. Afterall, the B772 is newer and less of a fuel guzzler - so it still has some useful life left in it.

Flee, if what u say is right, one wonders why MH until now does not know which aircraft will suit their needs more....after all they r in this business and their competitors have already made known which aircraft will bring suit their different needs...after all its just a couple of handful of different aircraft to choose from....ain't that many.....

Well, VN and GA said the same thing and GA hardware is better than MH. B)

VN just wants to settle for second, they know they couldn't compete against the giant SQ ;)

I've seen vast improvements at VN since they joined SkyTeam, thank god that they did join or their service would have still been mediocre at best. But VN service is nowhere near MH standards, they still have a lot to learn from the smiling and friendly MH flight attendants.

Agree with KK Lee. MH BTPs have always been great on paper, so I'll believe it only when I see it. B)

They are too busy changing the 'livery' and 'crew uniform' instead ....... at least to tell the whole world that they are doing 'something' about it ....... :yahoo:

:hi:

Reading this aim gives me a good laugh and does not require rocket scientist to make them one :-)

All they need is good financial support to ...

1 Ensure that the fares remains as attractive as others.

2 Products should be better thn others , esp. the likes of EK/SQ/CX...etc with progressive improvements to stay ahead. They hv to think beyond the norm. Say can ...36' EYCL pitch across the fleet? or individual fridge in Business and First long haul ? or perhaps 3D entertainment system ?

3 Aircraft consistently new. Y 5 and not 3 years average fleet ? once all 738 arrived, start replacing with ....

4 be generous interms of meals, amenities and comfort for passengers and not forgetting good enrich programme.

and Government and the "owner's" support is also essential ... the very least is to enforce it's executives, associates and ( foreign and local) consultants to travel on MH premier cabins and not limited to certain higher level only. Similar arrangements are done in other countries.

On another note; transferring some routes to FY sounds good as long as similar products are offered. I.e. Business Class, FQTV , meals... should b at least like SQ-MI and QF-JQ , only better service of course!

Actually, reading your post gave me a good laugh. its true what people say about the airline industry : "its like church/mosque/temple - many attend, few understand". I wouldnt say i understand fully either, but i do know this. Its not as easy as you may think :

1) competitive, do you mean as 'low' as others? theres such thing called market leading fare and market follower fare. some are supposed to be higher. some should be low. all airlines practise this.

2)Products - true, but in due time. nobody gets new a/c delivered every single day and mh already have significant order numbers on the books. boeing sky interior is a market leading product, IFE in narrowbodies, when the 744 was introduced with PTVs on every seat they were one of the market leaders to do this, together with SQ and CX. you're right, they may be a bit late sometimes (especially with A330) but nonetheless issue is being tackled. 36' pitch across the board? youre entitled to your opinion, i wont go there.

3) Consistently new a/c means consistent purchasing behaviour, before the ROI of the a/c comes into play (this is a no-no). true one can lease, but with short lease terms come unfavourable lease charges. Again, 3 yrs is something that no one does. fair play for the suggestion though. Maybe if leasing comps can reduce charges by... say.... 90%.

4) The only point you got spot on. but again, everything incurs costs. it has to be a bit of give and take.

Allowing staff and consultants to fly premium class? I dont see how this will significantly improve company accounts.

During inception of SQ-MI, they were not reacting to any significant all Yclass LCCs around. QF-JQ, was formed in response to growing threat from VirgBlue, who does have a premium Y class. Both had a good strategic reason to have a premium cabin. but in the case of FY, it is in response to the lowest CASK full Y airline in the world. They don't have a choice but to go full LCC.

I will not go into the debate whether the reference to polygamy is very Malaysian ... but this is not the first time an airline go down this road.

As earlier mentioned, another airline had used the "twice the fun at half the price" tagline ... but remember that another airline launched flights to Singapore with a reference to "backyard" and has a picture showing the behind of three or four cabin attendants.

So you see, there is indeed a trend of sorts among these airlines to make such references. While one could debate that these are airlines and not governments, these are also business entities that expected to be treated seriously - especially when they have shareholders' interests to take care of. That said, an airline here in Singapore too once made such a reference but quickly swept that under the carpet. It had an ad showing its cabin attendant alongside another cabin attendant from its sister-airline that flies mainly leisure routes. And the promotional tagline was: Come to Singapor with us and you can go on holiday with our sister. Bet you someone got a rap on the knuckles for that. And that kind of promotional tagline was never repeated again.

The line dividing what's clever and witty from that which is deemed crass, inappropriate and sometimes downright insulting is very thin indeed. And remember, perception is real - that every marketer knows. If the person receiving the message perceives it to be in bad taste, it then means that the message could have been better crafted.

I remember when MAS launched its "An Experience Re-defined" campaign - the same time the B744 was painted in Hibiscus livery ... the MH official who was interviewed by the media wanted the airline's yield in premium class to grow 25 percent as a result of that new product. That was something that members of the media gasped in disbelief over and today, I can only say that MH should not attempt to go any lower with its fares - or the meal-box trend will expand further into other aspects of its service. Outside of Malaysia, MH fares are already placed at the bottom of the list of fares from competing carriers. Any lower, it will bring back memories of the "Zero Ringgit" promotion.

I hope that MH sorts out its own place in the whole Malaysian and Asian aviation landscape and make a consistent effort in getting to where it wants to go and staying there. All the catchy names for business turnaround means nothing if they are turbo-charged during their launch, loses steam after a short while when the media forgets about it and then sputter and break down when the first profits are announced (along with sale of big-ticket assets).

KC Sim

I will not go into the debate whether the reference to polygamy is very Malaysian ... but this is not the first time an airline go down this road.

As earlier mentioned, another airline had used the "twice the fun at half the price" tagline ... but remember that another airline launched flights to Singapore with a reference to "backyard" and has a picture showing the behind of three or four cabin attendants.

So you see, there is indeed a trend of sorts among these airlines to make such references. While one could debate that these are airlines and not governments, these are also business entities that expected to be treated seriously - especially when they have shareholders' interests to take care of. That said, an airline here in Singapore too once made such a reference but quickly swept that under the carpet. It had an ad showing its cabin attendant alongside another cabin attendant from its sister-airline that flies mainly leisure routes. And the promotional tagline was: Come to Singapor with us and you can go on holiday with our sister. Bet you someone got a rap on the knuckles for that. And that kind of promotional tagline was never repeated again.

The line dividing what's clever and witty from that which is deemed crass, inappropriate and sometimes downright insulting is very thin indeed. And remember, perception is real - that every marketer knows. If the person receiving the message perceives it to be in bad taste, it then means that the message could have been better crafted.

I remember when MAS launched its "An Experience Re-defined" campaign - the same time the B744 was painted in Hibiscus livery ... the MH official who was interviewed by the media wanted the airline's yield in premium class to grow 25 percent as a result of that new product. That was something that members of the media gasped in disbelief over and today, I can only say that MH should not attempt to go any lower with its fares - or the meal-box trend will expand further into other aspects of its service. Outside of Malaysia, MH fares are already placed at the bottom of the list of fares from competing carriers. Any lower, it will bring back memories of the "Zero Ringgit" promotion.

I hope that MH sorts out its own place in the whole Malaysian and Asian aviation landscape and make a consistent effort in getting to where it wants to go and staying there. All the catchy names for business turnaround means nothing if they are turbo-charged during their launch, loses steam after a short while when the media forgets about it and then sputter and break down when the first profits are announced (along with sale of big-ticket assets).

KC Sim

Very well said, KC!! :clapping: :drinks:

I agree. A lot of people do it. Second wife, prostitution, bums and backside, incest, blows, any insinuation or innuendos to appear catchy and make a point.

I would've thought the reference to prostitution wouldve gotten the most slack but it seems nobody here was angered by it! missed the thread maybe? While references to polygamy is jumped on from the keyboard wielding high horse by the msianwings moral airline police.

http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11849

Just saying, this issue is one to take lightly and laugh about. chill lar :drinks:

I remember on the news, CX never aims to be the biggest/have the newest fleet but they want to provide their customers the best experience and satisfaction. That's why they are one of the most respected airlines in the world.

Flee, if what u say is right, one wonders why MH until now does not know which aircraft will suit their needs more....after all they r in this business and their competitors have already made known which aircraft will bring suit their different needs...after all its just a couple of handful of different aircraft to choose from....ain't that many.....

Well the MH management has always been a confused lot - their legacy is for all to see. A lot of this confusion stems from govt. interference. MH has been asked to do a lot of silly things which would not be commercially viable.

Choice of aircraft for its fleet is one of those things - orders may be placed for political reasons. For instance, Mahathir ordered MH not to buy RR engines when he was having his spat with Margaret Thatcher. MH has to buy Boeing to please the US because we are dependant on their FDIs. So their fleet decisions are never done on merit alone. That is why it is hard for us to understand...

Sign in to follow this