MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

MAS aims to be Asia's No.1

MALAYSIA Airlines (MAS), which is now in its transformation phase, is halfway towards becoming Asia's champion in terms of product offering and quality service.

Chairman Tan Sri Dr Mohamed Munir Abdul Majid said the national carrier is already Asia's best airline in terms of service and having the world's best cabin crew.

"Our target is to become the number one airline in Asia, with an average fleet age of 5.2 years," he told reporters from selected local media groups in Subang, Selangor, yesterday.

Munir said the airline now has a good balance sheet, cash position and a team led by a chief executive officer (Tengku Azmil Zahruddin) who is professional, passionate, knows the business well, sound financial management and makes strategic decisions.

He said although the rising oil price is a challenge, MAS now has "a stamina" to expand.

The airline is expecting delivery of more aircraft including Boeing 738, Boeing 737-800 and Airbus A330-800.

"MAS is in a good position today. We can take on competition," he said.

Munir also said that subsidiary Firefly will will take over MAS' domestic routes.

"But don't ask me when. It depends on market dynamics," he added.

Domestic and short-haul routes previously bled MAS as they were deemed unprofitable.

He said MAS is not competing directly with the country's low-cost airline, AirAsia Bhd, but "Firefly is supporting MAS in the low-cost segment to maintain the group's passenger load factor".

According to Munir, market dynamics of supply, demand and price will determine whether MAS will continue to provide domestic full-service flights or reduce its frequency.

"People would still want premium service on some routes," he said, pointing out that MASwings, which operates turbo-prop aircraft like Firefly, has a business class.

He said MAS will also focus on the maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) business. MAS is currently the world's fifth largest provider of third-party MRO.

Munir also rubbished claims that as a government-linked corporation, MAS receives special treatment from the government.

"We don't have a seat at the high table as we are a professional lot," he added.

AirAsia X, the long-haul operations of AirAsia, has been seeking rights to routes like Sydney and Jeddah but has not received approval to do so from the government.

Munir said MAS' contribution to the country's social and economic development should not be forgotten.

The national carrier has also trained and exported many experts in the aviation and MRO industries, he added.

He likened MAS as the first wife, whose contribution to the family has been forgotten, while the AirAsia as the second, younger wife.

Describing AirAsia as "a youthful success", Munir said: "They (AirAsia) are wearing red and sitting pretty, while people forget the first wife, who helped raise the children, sending them to school."

On AirAsia X's newly-appointed chairman Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz, he said: "I consider her as a friend. But we have to protect our interests."

Last night, Munir, who has been in the corporate sector for about 33 years, received the Brand Laureate Personality Award 2011. - By Hamisah Hamid

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/23WIFE/Article/

...He likened MAS as the first wife, whose contribution to the family has been forgotten, while the AirAsia as the second, younger wife.

Describing AirAsia as "a youthful success", Munir said: "They (AirAsia) are wearing red and sitting pretty, while people forget the first wife, who helped raise the children, sending them to school."

Someone of high position as Chairman of a nat'l airline expressly insinuating: "MH is 1st wife - take care of kids, etc. AK is wife no.2 - red-skirted, pretty one"

Edited by Denny Yen

First wife has monopoly profits, subsidies for domestic and RAS routes, govt. bailouts and asset unbundling, etc.

Second wife has to compete for attention! ;)

Are they in the process to get rid of the rest of the B744 and older B772 as well in order to achieve the average fleet age of 5.2 years? Let the speculations begin.

This fella is encouraging people to take first and second and third wife aka Polygamy <_ so shallow minded and can even use a better example to explain himself>

First wife has monopoly profits, subsidies for domestic and RAS routes, govt. bailouts and asset unbundling, etc.

Second wife has to compete for attention! ;)

Let me sum it up for you,First wife has no money and keeps begging money from Husband to run her so called luxury business. Second wife is richer than the husband, buys all new and expensive equipment to run her own business. Second wife looks more brainny and capable in earning money while first wife's is pretty much dependent on husband power :lol:

Edited by Ignatius

Gunning for No. 1 position in highly-competitive Asia is a very lofty objective ... with airlines such as Cathay Pacific Airways, Thai Airways International, Korean Air, ANA, Asiana, Singapore Airlines, Garuda Indonesia and Vietnam Airlines all having a very clear head-start.

Hope the management does take too long to decide when to put its plans to hand over domestic services to Firefly (and MASwings) into action ... sound strategic thinking would dictate that MAS should have by now worked this out before even announcing it. Now AirAsia knows what is on the the cards ...

And one begins to wonder about the competency of those involved when aircraft types such as Boeing 738, B737-800 and Airbus A330-800 are mentioned.

This new direction that MAS is taking deserves a lot of attention going forward and tracking its progress would be very interesting indeed.

KC Sim

Are they in the process to get rid of the rest of the B744 and older B772 as well in order to achieve the average fleet age of 5.2 years? Let the speculations begin.

Get rid of old A330, the 744s and 734, add new 738, A330 & A380. Voila, average fleet age goes down to 5.2 years!

Get rid of old A330, the 744s and 734, add new 738, A330 & A380. Voila, average fleet age goes down to 5.2 years!

Close airline, average goes to 0.00. :)

Chairman thumping his chest in self proclaimed excellence (finesse evidently lacking)...

I thot he was a juvenile. :)

And one begins to wonder about the competency of those involved when aircraft types such as Boeing 738, B737-800 and Airbus A330-800 are mentioned.

I think this is the fault of the journo rather than the airline.

And after so many years, they haven't decided on the replacement for 77E which is really their core long-haul operation.

And after so many years, they haven't decided on the replacement for 77E which is really their core long-haul operation.

Believe it is the B744 which are the fuel suckers for MH. They haven't even nominated the replacement as yet!

Wouldn't it be good to convert them into BCF or BDSF and transfer across to MASKargo? Place some orders for the B777-300ER to replace the existing B744. Anyway my $0.01

Believe it is the B744 which are the fuel suckers for MH. They haven't even nominated the replacement as yet!

Wouldn't it be good to convert them into BCF or BDSF and transfer across to MASKargo? Place some orders for the B777-300ER to replace the existing B744. Anyway my $0.01

744's replacement is the A380.

I believe MH prefers to lease B747 capacity while its own regional cargo will be carried by the new and fuel efficient A332F. The A380 will replace the B744.

I think the main reason why MH is holding back any new orders for B772 replacement is because they really don't know if they need to order more A380s, B77W, A350 or B787. I think that once the new A333 and A380 operations settle down, they will be in a better position to decide. Afterall, the B772 is newer and less of a fuel guzzler - so it still has some useful life left in it.

They have a long way to go to beat SQ and CX, so I don't know what they meant when said halfway. And what?! FY taking over the domestic routes? Is there a more specific explanation?

I believe MH prefers to lease B747 capacity while its own regional cargo will be carried by the new and fuel efficient A332F. The A380 will replace the B744.

I think the main reason why MH is holding back any new orders for B772 replacement is because they really don't know if they need to order more A380s, B77W, A350 or B787. I think that once the new A333 and A380 operations settle down, they will be in a better position to decide. Afterall, the B772 is newer and less of a fuel guzzler - so it still has some useful life left in it.

True, but I hope they won't wait until the 772s begin to rot.

Just like A330. They wait this aircraft to be outdated before they ordered new ones.

747 and 777 economy are also long overdue.

Just like A330. They wait this aircraft to be outdated before they ordered new ones.

747 and 777 economy are also long overdue.

Won't call it overdue. It has AVOD, decent legroom and recline, though it could do with legrests. What's overdue are their premium products. SQ's new J is even comparable to their F!

Its official now - FY will take over from MH on the domestic routes...

It's a good target and aims by MH to be Asia's No.1 but I think a bad decision if their plan FY to take over MH domestic routes.

MH should to be No.1 in Malaysia (domestic routes) first before they go for Asia's No.1.

The "polygamy" comparison is very Malaysian indeed.

Unless SQ and CX are not based in Asia, the possibility of MAS becoming Asia's No.1 is zero.

MAS, keep half of the domestic routes, at least.

MH had a few makeover in the last 10 years and were mostly under delivered. Talk is easy, until the talk is walked, not going to expect much.

:drinks:

The use of polygamy as a comparison shows how shallow some of the CEOs of GLCs are. Excuse you, this is serious business, how can someone be comparing their business with others like wives? Even if it is meant as a joke, there are better examples or words to be use.

Back to the topic, to be honest, MH can be Asia's #1 if they really strive hard, plan and execute their plan properly and effectively. Like what KK lee has stated, MH had a few makeover over the past decade. The overall result are mixed. IJ's era returned MH to profit but at a cost as well (the mealbox...). They should not behave like a cry-baby, crying over spilt milk.

While most airlines renew their fleet periodically without wearing out their current planes, MH seems to be doing the opposite. Not to forget, most players now have PTV with AVOD in most of their aircrafts (except short haul maybe), MH has none on their regional A332 and A333. Their new B738 is hit-and-miss opportunity. This portrays a bad image on MH. Spinning World's Best Crew continuously is also tacky. Remember seasoned consumers care about hard products as much as soft products. Plus MH has lost the title to Asiana Airlines long ago....MH come on...wake up!

While barring all these issues, hopefully when the new A333 comes on board, MH will roll out standardised products for all class and all aircraft. If there is any difference, there should only be minor ones. And WITH NEXT GENERATION AVOD.....not the hand-me-down technology. :rolleyes: <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_clapping.gif" alt=":clapping:">

Sign in to follow this