MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Zamir

AirAsia A320 Engines

Hello,can I know what type of Engine does the AirAsia A320 operate?Sometimes I find that AirAsia operate all CFM engines

Edited by Zamir

Aircraft reggos 9M-AFA to 9M-AFF (A320-214) use the CFM56-5B4/P. Aircraft delivered since 9M-AFG (A320-216) have the CFM56-5B6/P.

More information on the CFM56 engine variants here

9M-AFA is now a -5B6. Anyways not much of a problem as the -5B4 engines with higher thrust ratings (27k) have been reduced to an all fleet rating of 23.5k pounds. :drinks:

Can the thrust rating of the 5B4 be increased by the flight crew to the original 27k rating if necessary? In comparison MH B738 CFM56 engines can be rated at 26, 24 or 22k as needed, just by some selection on the FMC, depending on the need.

Reduced thrust = less maintenance = longer engine life.

Can the thrust rating of the 5B4 be increased by the flight crew to the original 27k rating if necessary? In comparison MH B738 CFM56 engines can be rated at 26, 24 or 22k as needed, just by some selection on the FMC, depending on the need.

Capt, I don't think they can select anything above the 23.5 as it has already been pin programmed to provide a max of 23.5. I will check and revert to you when I have more information. :drinks:

Capt, I don't think they can select anything above the 23.5 as it has already been pin programmed to provide a max of 23.5. I will check and revert to you when I have more information. :drinks:

if you say it is pin programmed then it is just as the same as the 737 classic where there's no such thing as EEC and HMU like 737 NG, only MEC and PMC and a direct thrust control cable from the throttle lever to the MEC.

if you say it is pin programmed then it is just as the same as the 737 classic where there's no such thing as EEC and HMU like 737 NG, only MEC and PMC and a direct thrust control cable from the throttle lever to the MEC.

Sorry for the choice of words, but I believe it was already programmed in the ECU. I stand corrected anyways. :drinks:

Capt,unlike Boeings,the Airbus planes cant derate their engines,but they use derate thrust for takeoff,which they call "Flex" take off(using an assume temp higher than ambient OAT"provided certain criterias are met.The A330 NG can derate their thrust setting to either D1 or D2 depending on company SOP.Having flown the classic B737,A320 and now A330 NG,the Airbus planes have done a lot of improvements to their airplanes.The engines are the same as for the 5B4 or 5B6,its a computer setting which cannot be reset by the flight crew that changes the engine rating.

Sign in to follow this