MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JuliusWong

Iberia is a disaster- you have been warned

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Iberia-is-a-disaster-you-have-been-warned

It is my first post on this forum, however it is also my duty to inform all regular travellers of my recent Iberia disaster:

1. my booking through Iberia.com: i booked 2x 1 way tickets in business from MVD to CPH in December. i received an initial email stating that this was a booking but not yet a confirmation but that a second email would follow. A second email did follow and i assumed that was that. the day i was due to fly, i tried to check in online, but my record locator gave me an error. After a call i was informed that the ticket had not been issued. No effort was made by the airline to contact me, no email telling me of a problem, credit card company tells me there was not even an attempt to charge the card. Amazing...but there is better.

2. I reroute through SAO. No, there were no seats on the MVD flight and no, i could not speak to a manager. We arrived in MAD, the connection was tight. We got on the flight but there was no food, our meals had been removed. The pilots and crew were fed but not us. Stewardess took our baggage tags to check with the pilot that they were on board, we were told that they were definitely in the hold

BUT 3. no bags at CPH. I understand that bags do miss connections. However, Iberia baggage team seriously disappointed us-here we are in Denmark, my wife in a summer dress and flip-flops,i am in tshirt and jeans and we have a dinner party that night with a black tie wedding the following. No, they were not able to get our bags on the first flight the next day, no, they would not help, give us an allowance to buy any clothes/make up/cosmetics/medication beyond the e50 per day minimum (BA incidentally paid over £1500 when they lost my ex girlfriends bag on the way to a wedding in Toronto a few years ago) and NO, we could not speak to anyone in authority under any circumstances whatsoever.

My wife was walking around Copenhagen in puddles of slush in her flipflops, i wore a $150 tux to a society wedding, my wife top shop and borrowed cloths

Iberia win the worst airline customer service award of the decade and I will try and avoid them for the rest of my travelling life. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

-END-

It bags me a question: Is Iberia really that bad? I haven't flown with them, but over airliners.net TR and numerous website, Iberia seems to be the last airline on Earth one would take if it is end of the world.....

Any MWings member has any experience with them?

Im sorry to hear that

I had a real bad experience back in 2000 on a flight from San Francisco to New Yk via Chicago Midway.

After tripple checking that the bags would made the transit they didnt. I'm sure that the airline was the now defunct American Trans Air.

At New York the staff had no interest in helping us and only when a crowd of about 20-30 pax started shouting did they listen.

It's been 7 days since I wrote to them about my lost bags and I am still to hear from them.... :help:

Who?

I'm sorry to hear your worst experience!

and yet some of us still complains about TERUK service from our local airlines....

Im sorry to hear that

I had a real bad experience back in 2000 on a flight from San Francisco to New Yk via Chicago Midway.

After tripple checking that the bags would made the transit they didnt. I'm sure that the airline was the now defunct American Trans Air.

At New York the staff had no interest in helping us and only when a crowd of about 20-30 pax started shouting did they listen.

eeh....its not me travelling. I got it off from the Business Traveller mag's website.

Oh my, Robert. Sorry to hear your ordeal. ATA bankrupted anyways......Rest In Pieces... :rolleyes:

I flew MAD-EZE and SCL-MAD last Dec. I knew there wouldn't be PTV on the A340 so I had to entertain myself with my iPod. The vegetarian option was abysmal - mind you I'm not a fussy eater. Booked it via Expedia UK but had to change dates afterwards, no issues there.

I knew what I was getting myself into when I chose to fly with Iberia. This ain't Skytrax 5 star airline, so don't expect anything extraordinary.

That part about the confirmation email but credit card not charged has happened to me before - twice!

Thing is, the first email is only to confirm that you reserved something. You still need an e-ticket which is issued when your credit card is charged.

First time - Swiss International - I booked 2 adult tickets and 2 infant tickets ZRH-PMI. Only when I got to the airport and could not check-in, we realized that something was wrong. So I was sent to the ticket counter. Apparently, my booking was put on hold because they wanted to verify how come 1 family has 2 infants (possibly I was lying about 1 child's age so that I don't have to pay for a seat). Then of course they could see that I have twins. Someone was supposed to contact me to query this, but for some reason it was never done. Luckily they had a few seats left so we managed to get on board anyway.

Second time - I arrived in SIN and after a few days stopover, was checking in to go to Australia (can't remember MEL/BNE or SYD). I could no check in. Had to go to the ticketing desk. Interestingly, my confirmation showed all my flights, but my e-ticket has my Australia bit missing. Of course I have not paid for it and will not pay for it - I was travelling on business!! So a few phone calls ensued, finally my travel agent sorted it out. Again, luckily there were seats available.

So people remember this - make sure you have your e-ticket and that it is correct!

Ok, I did not lose my luggage, so SQ and LX are not as bad as Iberia. Although, SQ also once did not serve anyone any proper meals SIN-ZRH as the on-board fridge was broken.

Ok, I did not lose my luggage, so SQ and LX are not as bad as Iberia. Although, SQ also once did not serve anyone any proper meals SIN-ZRH as the on-board fridge was broken.

OUCH. Did they do anything afterwards to compensate?

OUCH. Did they do anything afterwards to compensate?

They did serve half a meal for late supper (departure was around 1am), and then 5 hours into the 13 hour flight, they woke us up to serve half the breakfast. I think things that needed to be kept chilled they simply did not serve. I did not bother following up, so no idea whether there was compensation. I was in C class though, so I don't know what they did in Y, but I also noticed that they were served at the same time.

Sign in to follow this