MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia: Suspension of Kuala Lumpur – Haikou & Penang - Macau flights

Too bad AK couldn't make KL-Haikou work. I had plans to go to Haikou with my grandparents while they are still with me, now it seems I have to go the long way (via Guangzhou or HK)...

Too bad AK couldn't make KL-Haikou work. I had plans to go to Haikou with my grandparents while they are still with me, now it seems I have to go the long way (via Guangzhou or HK)...

Or try KUL-SIN-HAK on Jetstar Asia or Tiger Airways?

Well AK is not taking any new aircraft this year - so they are now optimising their fleet to give maximum yield from the capacity constrained LCCT. As such, routes that are not performing are given the axe.

But then you'll never have AK/D7 ceeding to 'non-performance' of any route they decide to drop :D

It's always been 'operational matters' or 'unavoidable circumstances' ... etc

So, any truth in it that AK is to reinstate KCH-MFM, BKI-MFM and BKI-SBW ?

For affected guests, we kindly suggest the following options:

Option 1

Refund

Option 2

Change of destination (re-routing) allowed, penalty will be waived but fare difference (if any) will apply. Please note that there will be no refund if the new flight sector is of a lower fare amount.

Option 3

Credit Shell can be applied and strictly valid for three (3) months only.

If we choose option 1, is it no processing fee chargeable and ensure will get full amount? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Well AK is not taking any new aircraft this year - so they are now optimising their fleet to give maximum yield from the capacity constrained LCCT. As such, routes that are not performing are given the axe.

Yes. This suspension is in line with the company's (AK) 2011 business plan.

MALAYSIA

Strengthening Domestic Operations

‐ Ramping up frequencies on key East Malaysian routes performing well

‐ Increasing domestic market share of 58% in 2010

‐ International market share of 37% in 2010

Focus on optimizing load factor

Increased frequencies on routes that is popular with AirAsia X traffic. AirAsia X acts as a feeder for AirAsia network.

To maintain discipline cost management across the organization

Reduce average stage length and focus on shorter routes within 3.5 hours (i.e. Indian sub‐continents)

believed its more bec of commercial reasons ie not commercially viable to operate these routes. Alternative to Haikou is via SIN by TIger n Jetstar Asia which have pretty good loads on this sector.

Although Haikou is out, Harbin is making an appearance in the booking engine. KUL-HRB is 3,305 miles. Will it be D7's newest route or just a one off charter flight?

After Harbin, now Nanning makes an appearance in AK's booking engine.

Nanning is capital of Guangxi province. AK already flies to Guilin, so now 2 destinations in Guangxi alone. I first visited Nanning in '93, but I'd prefer Kunming.

Harbin is on my must-visit place - to see the ice festival, maybe Jan 2012. :)

Heard KUL-HAK suspension will now in April instead of March

believed its more bec of commercial reasons ie not commercially viable to operate these routes. Alternative to Haikou is via SIN by TIger n Jetstar Asia which have pretty good loads on this sector.

After scrutinizing the MAHB Annual Report 2010, I think I have to agree with leon t. The route is not doing well based on the passengers traffic numbers. Since AK suspended HAK in March/April 2011, its service covered throughout the whole full year of 2010. In 2010, AK's passengers traffic to/from HAK dropped a massive 28% to only 42,785 passengers from 59,424 passengers in 2009. Assuming AK maintained a fixed frequency throughout the whole year of 2010, it is the 5th worst performer in KUL out of only 14 routes which recorded a decline in passengers traffic in 2010.

I don't have the traffic data for PEN-MFM, but KUL-MFM is also recorded a decline in passengers traffic of 6.6% to 269,105 passengers in 2010 versus 288,221 passengers in 2009. MFM is the 24th largest destination in KUL in 2010.

Sign in to follow this