MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin Lau

Kuching International Airport Low Cost Carrier Terminal (Kuching LCCT)

Maybe KCH-KUL might not be so golden if there were more direct flights from KCH to international destinations?

Maybe too... but still this route is not mainly tackle international transit... else KCH would have gained a lot of international routes... You do see a lot of blonde heads when you fly KUL - LGK back and forth, but definitely not on KUL - KCH route.

Maybe too... but still this route is not mainly tackle international transit... else KCH would have gained a lot of international routes... You do see a lot of blonde heads when you fly KUL - LGK back and forth, but definitely not on KUL - KCH route.

I suspect a bit of stereotyped assumption has been worked into your observation, that international pax = blonde heads mainly ? :p

I suspect a bit of stereotyped assumption has been worked into your observation, that international pax = blonde heads mainly ? :p

Well, I think it's quite true... :)

AK is unlikely to own or build the KCH LCCT, very likely the contract will be given to a TM company.

Given the amount of money spent at BKI T1 and KLIA2, building airport terminal is a gold mine for politicians. Like KLIA2, won’t be surprise that the KCH LCCT will be more luxurious than the current terminal.

Given the amount of money spent at BKI T1 and KLIA2, building airport terminal is a gold mine for politicians. Like KLIA2, won’t be surprise that the KCH LCCT will be more luxurious than the current terminal.

Very perceptive ! :p

Well, if a precedence is to be established at KCH, what is there to stop AK/D7/QZ/FD and all the associates, to start demanding for LCCT's operated by them or their 'preferred partner' ? Based on we have been fed thus far, MAB certainly would not fall under 'preferred partner' category :D

So, you'll run risk of KLIA2 eventually ending up as another sleepy hollow :D

current KIA is not over utilised. i would say it just nice. no aerobridge issue, tax issue is politicised highly due to state election coming soon. I agree with Kenneth, how many international flight we had? PNK, SIN and BWN? 3 destination and the minister would complaint it is too much. i bet KCH has the highes route dropped since new KIA was build. MH- PER, PNK, AK- DPS, CGK, MFM. and now we expect to reinstate DPS and DRW? akai inai, very ambitious. Just to share, during the inaugural flight from DPS-KCH, I manage to secure seat from KCH-DPS 1st flight. to my suprise, there's only 8 pax from DPS-KCH. true enough our speculation came true as the route axed within 2 month. what more to have a LCCT in KCH? stop wasting publics money.

further more, the state gov offering land, could it be the land just acquired by TM adjacent to the airport? It was across the newly open airport-stutong road? how the aircraft to cross the new road? Aerobridge? muah ha ha ha. wastage.

The justification to set up a LCCT in Sarawak was because the airport tax of RM51 imposed at KIA was considered too high by travellers.

Oh dear, what a lame justification! The airport tax for both LCCT's at KUL and BKI is RM25, so we are only talking about a difference of ... RM27?! :blink:

And out of the three international destinations served from KCH, only SIN attracts an airport tax of RM51. BWN and PNK bound flights have a reduced airport tax of RM26.

Oh dear, what a lame justification! The airport tax for both LCCT's at KUL and BKI is RM25, so we are only talking about a difference of ... RM27?! :blink:

And out of the three international destinations served from KCH, only SIN attracts an airport tax of RM51. BWN and PNK bound flights have a reduced airport tax of RM26.

This is a red herring - but if AirAsia is indeed given the land to build an LCCT, the economics change dramatically. Not only do they not need to charge airport tax and pay airport charges to MAHB, they also gain a lot of extra income from retail outlet, etc. As we all know the KUL LCCT is a goldmine for MAHB right now.

This could dramatically turn "uneconomic" operations into a prosperous Borneo hub for them. We have seen KCH falter many times as so many routes have been axed due to insufficient pax demand. So if AirAsia and the state tourism and business councils sit together they may be able to come up with a plan that can boost air travel to and from KCH beyond what they have now. We do need some stimulus and I don't see how a reduction of airport tax alone can help.

Edited by flee

Build LCCT here to attract more direct flights — Chamber

Posted on June 12, 2011, Sunday

KUCHING: Kuching Chinese General Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCGCCI) has called on the government to build a low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) here to pave the way for more direct flights.

Comparing the situation here with Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu, the chamber felt that tourism development here was way behind, citing the lack of an LCCT here as part of the reason.

“With an LCCT, more direct flights can be established and subsequently boost tourism development and ensure economic progress.

“Without such an airport, low-cost airlines will not be able to expand their routes both domestic and international,” said a resolution adopted during its annual general meeting at Wisma Chamber here yesterday.

The chamber would write to Tourism Ministry, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd and AirAsia Berhad to voice its concern. Another resolution urged the government to reduce renewal premium for industrial land as members felt it would be fair for the government to do so following the announcement to reduce renewal premium for residential and agriculture land in May last year.

“Reasonable review of the renewal rates for industrial land will help relieve the financial burden of industry players,” reasoned the resolution.

The chamber has thus resolved to send a formal request to Chief Minister Pehin Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud, Planning and Resource Management Ministry and Land and Survey Department.

To help bridge the gap between the government and the corporate sector, a resolution requested the government to consider appointing representatives of the chamber as members of the board of various government agencies.

“This is to make sure that opinions and needs of businessmen are effectively conveyed to address different issues,” it said, adding that a letter would be delivered to Taib and state secretary Datuk Amar Mohd Morshidi Abdul Ghani.

In view of the global oil price hike, the chamber wanted the relevant authorities to ensure direct supply of natural gas in the state as a means to reduce operational costs of industry players. It pointed out that being a gas-producing state its corporate sector should get to enjoy natural gas at a reasonable price.

“Natural gas is cheaper than petrol and more importantly, it helps bring down air pollution.”

We have been through this, if this project is on, I think it's a waste of money. Do you really need a LCCT to attract airlines? Not unless you have the ambition to develop KCH has a regional hub, else, the reason an airlines serving a city is solely due to what the city can offer.

Invest first and talk later. I wonder what's the numbers to justify such move?

.....Do you really need a LCCT to attract airlines? Not unless you have the ambition to develop KCH has a regional hub .....

If I recall correctly, one of the justifications offered for spending vast sums of money in redoing KCH to what it is nowadays was so that it can realize her ambition to be a regional 'hab'

Apparently the (perceived) requirement now has been refined to point that it has to specifically cater for 'low cost carriers'

However, there is nothing that says that the terminal that is to be built to cater for such 'low cost carriers' has to be 'low cost' in construction costs

:D

Invest first and talk later. I wonder what's the numbers to justify such move?

Acid test may be to see if those advocating LCCT constructions (all round our nation) are willing to personally share in risks of such investments ;)

Hey it may well end up like Labuan! Soon after the new terminal was completed MH cut its' frequency. Subsequently AK ended their BKI - LBU route. They did try to revive it but failed again. Now the ATRs don't even need the aero-bridge installed there, so exclusively for MH's B734 from KUL. :(

Wonder which genius thinks that by building an LCCT will boost tourist arrivals... FIX THE TOURIST ATTRACTIONS FIRST! :wacko: :fool: ::8P:: :lazy: :help: :sorry: :search: :finger:

Just make the current terminal more LCCT like, charge carriers cheaper fees, and cheaper tax. In return attract more flights more travellers, tourist (blonde heads if u so wish).....bam bam what a magic. Economics 101. Its not that the current terminal has reached its capacity.......People really like to talk cock

Just make the current terminal more LCCT like, charge carriers cheaper fees, and cheaper tax. In return attract more flights more travellers, tourist (blonde heads if u so wish).....bam bam what a magic. Economics 101. Its not that the current terminal has reached its capacity.......People really like to talk cock

Well, just don't think this is right. Premium service must be remained all the time.

We seem to have this LCCT mania here in Malaysia. I see AK using the main terminal buildings of BKK and SIN without complaining. They go on using the main terminal buildings of many other airports as well, and those airports are still attracting heaps of traffic. Why is Malaysia so caught up with a dedicated LCCT?

Why is Malaysia so caught up with a dedicated LCCT?

Projek, projek, projek - correct, correct, correct ? :p

Projek, projek, projek - correct, correct, correct ? :p

BC,

I wud like to edit

Projek, projek, projek, mega duit, mega duit, mega duit :good: Ha baru betulllll

If possible all states must have at least 1 LCC airport. <_<

BC,

I wud like to edit

Projek, projek, projek, mega duit, mega duit, mega duit :good: Ha baru betulllll

If possible all states must have at least 1 LCC airport. <_>

i think BC tam refers to one politician's quotation

Better I distance myself from your assumptions

It may seem what I am referring to, it may seem who I am referring to, but it is NOT :p

More to "korek" (dig). :angry:

Anyhow, AK has already sought after the Govt to provide a piece of land for them to build the LCCT. Datuk TF also mentioned AK would bear the cost some more. I remember I read from the news some years ago.