MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin Lau

Kuching International Airport Low Cost Carrier Terminal (Kuching LCCT)

Maybe with an LCCT, Cebu Pacific and Air Korea (Korean LCC) will fly to KCH??

It might happen if our tourism ministers do their homework, and do some project assignments(just like good students) .. to lure lucrative tourist to spend their peso's and won here.. but with our govt inner attitude.. fat chance bro... it wont happen till my next life maybe <_>

They should make that monkey pay for every stupid and baseless statement he makes just to create a stir in the media ..

Alot of ' blowing water '

He want ? Make him pay ..

They should make that monkey pay for every stupid and baseless statement he makes just to create a stir in the media ..

Alot of ' blowing water '

He want ? Make him pay ..

i agree. You want, you pay lah! MAB could lease the land to AK and they finance it themselves and work out some kind of split for the airport tax. Since AK is soooo concerned about it's pax, maybe don't charge airport tax if it's their own building!

Yalah, TF u can create a simple building lo ..

Create a simple building like a bus stop ..

Sure, u dont have to charge any airport tax

this TF sure is very ambitious, he wants all major airport in Bolehland to have LCCT. maybe he should proposed to the Gahmen another LCCT in Miri, Kuala Terenganu, Kuantan, Labuan, Ipoh and maybe in Bario (that should be a good idea). for this, he kept on hassling MAHB and the Gahmen to build him those LCCT or else he start to threaten the Gahmen for not supporting the people. in his so call 'helping the people to travel by air', he's actually killing the people by using their tax money to build all this LCCT and on top of that charging 'cheap' airport tax on pax.

KIA main terminal will be white elephant ..

But for sure, again billions of taxpayer money will be use

I will support this idea if TF use his own money ..

Well BKI T1 is almost a white elephant now...

Well BKI T1 is almost a white elephant now...

i hope it will not. :)

another LCCT. good. :pardon: sooner our country will have 13-20 international airport, 13-20 LCCT. thanks a lot to our TPK and TF. kudos... :drinks:

Next time no need to do major renovation to the airport in Malaysia ..

Just do a simple2 one ..

Update for LCCT Kuching ..

Sarawak Gov't puzzled over AirAsia's decision

By : Desmond Davidson

2008/11/04

KUCHING, SARAWAK:

THE state government is puzzled over AirAsia’s decision not to reinstate the Kuching-Macau direct flight in two to three months time as agreed earlier.

State Tourism Minister Datuk Michael Manyin said the carrier's group chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes had agreed to reinstate the flight in two to three months time during a meeting on Oct 8.

However, in a recent letter to Manyin, Fernandes said the route would now only be reinstated after the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) at the Kuching International Airport is completed.

"I was taken aback by the letter," Manyin said at the lobby of the state legislative assembly here yesterday.

"Air Asia had not stated when they are going to start building the LCCT. So there is no certainty when the route would be reinstated."

The state government had already allocated a piece of land at the airport for the terminal, estimated to cost between RM100 million and RM150 million.

AirAsia will be building the LCCT at its own expense — the first time the government had allowed such an arrangement.

Edited by Nizam

The letter by TF to Manyin sounds like blackmail to me...it's more like:

No LCCT = No Macau/International flights <_<

AK has already the lowest ASK in the world and yet they continue to complain about high airport taxes. By right they should be paying the same as everyone else.

KCH is so empty at times and is horrendously under-utilized for its size. If MAB did want them to use the terminal building then they should implement a KLIA-type incentive, like free parking, etc.

AK already screwed Sarawak with FAX. In addition, the State government should not allow TF and AK to walk all over them again.

I dont think KCH needs a LCCT at this present moment....

True. Don't waste money on building another building when the existing one is under ultilized.

plus, if its raining/got disable pax can use aerobridge..

er how much does the usage cost anyway? i recall someone posted the MAB's ground charges here somewhere..

after reading today's Borneo Post about the setting up of an lcct, i agree that there is no need for lcct in east malaysia as a whole. both KIA and KKIA are 2 very modern airports, and they are able to cater for both MH and AK and other international airlines. why the need to waste money to build lcct, if both the modern infrastructures are not being fully utilised. those precious money should be directed to other more beneficial developments of both Sarawak and Sabah. If Mr. Tony is dropping those Macau and Bali flights, why good will the LCCT be then. creating more white elephants.

Give S’wak special ‘sky’ treatment: Manyin

KUCHING: Sarawak and Sabah can benefit from the open sky policy if the two states are treated in such a manner that their capitals, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu, are made separate entities away from Kuala Lumpur, said Urban Development and Tourism Minister Datuk Michael Manyin.

Manyin said under the present arrangement, direct flights into the country could only land at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) because the normal practice in the open sky policy is that international flights connect only capital cities of nations, in the case of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.

Sarawak and Sabah could not reap the maximum out of the open sky policy because they are only states within Malaysia, therefore, Kuching International Airport (KIA) and Kota Kinabalu International Airport do not enjoy KLIA’s status.

“Normally open sky policy only applies to capital city to capital city (of countries). But hopefully Sabah and Sarawak will be treated differently so that we can engage open sky policy by 2009,” he told a press conference here after receiving passengers from AirAsia’s inaugural Singapore-Kuching flight Saturday night.

Manyin said the state government had made such request to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and the Ministry of Transport and hoped that the federal government would meet the request.

Open sky policy could only boost the state’s tourism if KIA was allowed to link directly with foreign destinations, he said, adding that Sarawak was striving to do more in the way of attracting tourists, including doubling the number of hotel rooms by end of next year.

He said the government was currently working on to have AirAsia to fly between Miri and Singapore.

Manyin said the inaugural Kuching-Singapore-Kuching flight received encouraging response with a load of about 85 per cent.

He said the route was important as Sarawak hoped to lure a potential number of tourists from the republic to the state.

Speaking on Singapore’s tourism, Manyin said between January and September this year, the republic registered 7,581,551 arrivals. Of this, 1,155,337 were land arrivals, 972,823 sea arrivals and 5,450,391 air arrivals.

“By air into Singapore, the Asian market tops the list with 3,628,180,” he said adding that this was followed by Europe at about 820,000, Oceania (Australia, New Zealand) about 620,000, America about 320,000 and Africa about 55,000.

He said visitors in Singapore often travelled by land or air to states in Peninsular Malaysia including the capital city of Kuala Lumpur.

“With the direct flight, we will be able to get a certain percentage of foreign tourists (from Singapore) and increase the number of arrivals to Sarawak,” he said.

He said if the flight could continue to have 85 per cent passenger load and higher, the state could have better justification to request for more landing rights from the federal government.

Permanent secretary to the Ministry of Urban Development and Tourism Akit Sebli said the current Kuching-Singapore flights by Malaysian Airlines and Silk Air was one of the best routes.

Taken from SKYSCRAPPERCITY...by kiko

Hi guys...can’t help but think that a RM150 million LCCT in KCH would just be a white elephant...look at BKI...our beloved KK Int Airport serves Korean Air and Asiana Airlines from Korea, Cebu Pacific from the Phillipines, Dragonair and Silkair from Hong Kong and Singapore, MAS has flights to Singapore, Cebu, Davao, Taipei, Kaoshiung, Seoul, also from Osaka and even Narita, Royal Brunei flies at least 2X a day into BKI....and AK flies to Manila, Jakarta, Shenzhen, Penang...and still ALL AK's operation will be moved back to Terminal 1....not to mention those chartered flights….

For KCH...AK only have a 10x daily flight to KUL, 1x daily to SIN, maybe 3X daily to JHB and 1x to PEN, MYY, BTU and SBW, 2X to BKI and 3 times a week to CGK....like that also need LCCT????

Comm'on I hope our State Govt has the right sense of mind to for go such a project...built a theme park or up grade SCV with the money....hello....150million is a lot of money....I agree that our KCH is not fully utilized...missed the old terminal...back then I flew direct from Sydney!!!! Having a LCCT is not the answer to lack of air connectivity.....go figure....there is a hidden mgs here...

And I’m sorry to say, knowing how AK works and D'T.F...he is a strictly "business" minded kind of guy...I don’t think he is so "generous" to spend that money to build a LLCT for KCH...he would rather buy oil reserves now that it is cheaper...I know I would if i own an airline and if I have that kind of money....hehehe...but TF say if KCH have an LCCT...it would be privately financed...

In my opinion it´s wasting money to build a LCCT at KCH now.

To me (as a foreigner) it seems that utilization of the terminal is roughly around 30-40% of it´s capacity ...

A separate LCCT right now would be total "overkill" !

It would make much more sense to offer discounted rates to AK for the time being and adjust a small part of the actual terminal to Ak´s needs. I think it should be possible to "downgrade" a small part of the terminal to justify the reduction in fees against the other airlines who pay the full fees.

At the same time a contract with AK should be made that a separate LCCT will be build as soon as AK generates enough passenger traffic to justify a separate LCCT (stating exactly the number of annual passengers required to do so !)

Both sides need to "swallow the pill" !

As for now, LCC to be built in Kuching is utter stupidity. The economy is heading down the drain and build LCC now means making the journey down the pit a whole lot faster hahaha... stupid govt!

i hope it will not. :)

another LCCT. good. :pardon: sooner our country will have 13-20 international airport, 13-20 LCCT. thanks a lot to our TPK and TF. kudos... :drinks:

Was informed that part of the deal last time was all passengers flights will be operating from T1 and T2 will eventually serves as a cargo center.

That agreement has not change, right?

Don't bother about constructing LCCT in KCH,look at SBW terminal,and my dad even told me that the SBW terminal looks like a 'Kandang Lembu' from the sky <_>

Instead of using allocation for building LCCT in KCH,It's better to use that money to rebuilt SBW airport!

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia has announced plans to reopen Kuching as a hub and to relaunch the Kuching-Perth routh.

Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes, Group CEO of AirAsia Berhad, told reporters that this move was part of their strategy to reestablish Kuching as a regional and international air travel hub and Miri as an alternative to Brunei to make domestic and regional travel more accessible and affordable.

Currently AirAsia, the region’s largest low cost carrier, does not have landing rights in Brunei. Presently, the only direct international flight destination from and to Kuching is Singapore.

He said the move followed the successful launch of its Miri-Singapore route.

Fernandes acknowledged that in the past Kota Kinabalu has received more development but AirAsia is keen to develop Kuching and Miri as well.

He said they were confident that the Kuching-Perth route would receive a good response from the Australian market.

Fernandes also told reporters that the key for developing Kuching as a air travel hub was to have a low-cost terminal as developing new traffic – such as between Kuching and Indonesia – would be crucial for success.

A large part of realising this potential would depend on keeping airport tax and charges low.

The market for air travel is still largely stimulated by lower fares.

Fernandes pointed out that AirAsia’s success in establishing the Miri-Singapore route would not have been possible if the airport tax in Miri had not been reduced to RM25 from RM51.

He also voiced his concern that recent efforts by certain parties to hinder the development of more low cost terminals would lead to East Malaysia not realising its potential to be regional travel hubs.

http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=92861