MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin Lau

Kuching International Airport Low Cost Carrier Terminal (Kuching LCCT)

For the trip Kuching to Perth,do they use the A320 or AirAsiaX

Fernandes pointed out that AirAsia’s success in establishing the Miri-Singapore route would not have been possible if the airport tax in Miri had not been reduced to RM25 from RM51.

So last time they cut off the route just because the airport tax too exp? :D

Fernandes pointed out that AirAsia’s success in establishing the Miri-Singapore route would not have been possible if the airport tax in Miri had not been reduced to RM25 from RM51.

So last time they cut off the route just because the airport tax too exp? :D

Maybe ? :D

A late entry to the 'borneo' hub race?

Sorry Kuching-ites. KCH is inferior to BKI in all terms tourism figures, interesting tourist spots, pax traffic and even population. The only thing Tony would gain creating a hub there is political mileage.

Tho, one should never underestimate the 'benefits' of political mileage :)

Sorry Kuching-ites. KCH is inferior to BKI in all terms tourism figures, interesting tourist spots, pax traffic and even population.

I absolutely agree.

I absolutely agree.

I won't use the word of inferior to compare between Kuching and KK as both have different spots and attractions but I would say Kuching or Sarawak's tourism marketing might be inferior if were to compare with Sabah's....

Datu Patinggi Tony Fernandez maybe?

And he shall need an LCC to be built in KCH near future!

How sure can Dato Tony F. develop Kuching airport as a LCCT Hub if a LCCT is built? I won't really agree with the LCCT concept in Kuching... KIA must just be turned into a white elephant... just nego with MAHB to offer lower cost for airlines tagged with LCCT then...

What would be the expected pax on KCH - PER?

Hardly any Australians know about Kuching.. If they go ahead, they will plenty of stamina to sustain the flight..

Hardly any Australians know about Kuching.. If they go ahead, they will plenty of stamina to sustain the flight..

Australians may dunno much about Kuching but residents of Perth know Kuching better, there are a lot of Kuchingites staying and growing up in Perth and obtaining the PR there... Just like the Blog Writer Kenny Sia is one of the Kuchingite who stayed and grew up in Perth...

KUCHING, March 4 (Bernama) -- The Sarawak government is offering a piece of land, adjacent to the Kuching International Airport, to AirAsia Bhd to build a dedicated low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT), said Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr George Chan.

He said the establishment of the LCCT will not only draw more air travellers to the state but also boost the state's tourism industry and double revenue.

"The state government has offered land to AirAsia to set up a LCCT here. Now, AirAsia just need's to build the terminal.

"They (AirAsia and state government) are talking seriously," said Dr Chan, who is also the state's Tourism and Heritage Minister, in an interview with Bernama today.

AirAsia, the region's largest low cost carrier, planned to build a low cost carrier at the Kuching International Airport to turn Sarawak into a low-cost air travel hub with extensive domestic and international connections.

The justification to set up a LCCT in Sarawak was because the airport tax of RM51 imposed at KIA was considered too high by travellers.

Dr Chan urged Malaysia Airport Berhad to seriously consider reducing the airport tax and charges at the low-cost carrier terminal to develop new traffic and to further promote the state's tourism industry.

He said the high airport tax had hindered AirAsia from increasing flight frquency and introducing new routes in the state.

"It is a chicken and egg situation. MAB should seriously consider lowering the airport tax or charging a minimum rate. It is better than having none, especially when the Miri, Sibu and Bintulu airports are not very busy.

"The state government has written to the Transport Ministry asking them to help especially in opening up new destinations," he said.

Gee...what a waste of money, it is not as if KCH is congested...let's see...I can more or less memorize the cities served directly from KCH, how is that we need a LCCT?

Domestic - KUL, JHB, PEN, MYY, BTU, SBW, MZV, MKM, TGC, BKI

International - BWN, SIN and PNK....what else? ICN and HKG are via BKI hardly a direct non-stop service!

I bet I can list down all the daily schedule by all the airlines....don't get me started!

I mean, I would love to see more routes and increase in frequency and all, but....LCCT? Nah!

Guess General Election IS near....

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Ya, because Sarawak state election is this year, right?

This has to be some ground breaking first :blink:

Notice offer of land is to Air Asia Berhad, a private entity

Not to the Ministry of Transport, not to the DCA, not to MAHB

(certainly not to the Penans - sorry, couldn't resist ! :pardon: )

Generous or what ?!

So, we'll wait and see which direction Dato TF will oscillate this time

Remember there was Labu International Airport, AK being all keen to jump into bed with Sime Darby then ?

Then with Ipoh, it's 'we're not in the business of operating airports'

So how ah ? :pardon:

But wait, if one read further down, there is the appeal by the good doctor for MAB to reduce charges for AK at the LCCT. If the land is given to AK and AK is going to build the LCCT, what right has MAB to collect anything from anyone in that territory ? :)

Tettttt Boring.. Next!! <_>

•  
  • Can it be the replacement if AirAsia do not transfer from BKI's low cost terminal to Main Terminal of Kota Kinabalu?
  • Assuming KCH will be the Borneo's next hub to fly to more destinations of the range of their A320's maybe with KCH-DPS or KCH-DRW?

I can't imagine this... a nostalgia feeling towards this.. it;s a win win situation...

AK does propose to government to build a LCCT in KCH but not LBU... and says the Gov really builds one for AK, does AK really going to utilise the LCCT to build KCH as a hub?

The only reason KCH can be the top three busiest airport in Malaysia, literally beating PEN, is due to its domestic route! Esp KUL - KCH route, I would say this is the most golden route ever for any domestic route in Malaysia...

The only reason KCH can be the top three busiest airport in Malaysia, literally beating PEN, is due to its domestic route! Esp KUL - KCH route, I would say this is the most golden route ever for any domestic route in Malaysia...

Maybe KCH-KUL might not be so golden if there were more direct flights from KCH to international destinations?