MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
zeqa

Brunei International Airport

You are welcome Mushrif.

CX's original routing was HK-KK-BWN in the late 80 till early 90's. Later it becomes HK-BWN-KK. till late 97. Then it was suspended to make way for Adelaide if I am not mistaken. Now, BI code share with KA for HK flights. Therefore you can still see BWN listed in CX's website. :rolleyes:

You are welcome Mushrif.

CX's original routing was HK-KK-BWN in the late 80 till early 90's. Later it becomes HK-BWN-KK. till late 97. Then it was suspended to make way for Adelaide if I am not mistaken. Now, BI code share with KA for HK flights. Therefore you can still see BWN listed in CX's website. :rolleyes:

Even KA had a direct flights to BWN until 2008 right?

Even KA had a direct flights to BWN until 2008 right?

No, KA never fly to BWN. All done thru code share only. This explains why HK flight is sometimes upgauged to B777 or previously B767.

I think at that point of time not many people, especially our generation, are interested in aviation.

BCTam, wow!! thats almost most of their fleet in the 70's and 80's. Must be a memorable journey!!

Yes, could well be we were more of social oddballs back then :p

(My wife certainly thought that of me during our courtship days :D )

Certainly don't recall seeing many plane spotters then, even though opportunities were unbelievably good compared to what we can manage nowadays

Lack of pictorial memories also due to fact that was pre-digital camera era - photography was a rather costly affair then :)

Unfortunately, those memories also fading with age nowadays :D

Yes, could well be we were more of social oddballs back then :p

(My wife certainly thought that of me during our courtship days :D )

Certainly don't recall seeing many plane spotters then, even though opportunities were unbelievably good compared to what we can manage nowadays

Lack of pictorial memories also due to fact that was pre-digital camera era - photography was a rather costly affair then :)

Unfortunately, those memories also fading with age nowadays :D

True. My wife still regards me as an oddball as a plane enthusiast!

I can't remember much of the interior of the MH A300 (and PAL A300) and DC-10 which I used to frequent.

Talking of which, PAL also used to do a triangular MNL-BKI-BWN-MNL run (or was it the other way round ?)

Talking of which, PAL also used to do a triangular MNL-BKI-BWN-MNL run (or was it the other way round ?)

I thought it was the other way round..using BAC1-11s and maybe 727s too. (And talking about PAL...fastforward 20+ years, and the PAL logo appears as MH's new livery!)

Edited by Mushrif A

I thought it was the other way round..using BAC1-11s and maybe 727s too. (And talking about PAL...fastforward 20+ years, and the PAL logo appears as MH's new livery!)

PAL original routing is as stated. MNL-BWN-KK-MNL. vv. In the mid 90s, BWN became a direct flight from MNL, dropping KK. Nearing the Asian Financial crisis, it was suspended.

MAS used to fly B737-200Adv between MNL and BKI. I was on one of those during my first trip back from HKG in 1986. Between HKG and MNL I flew PAL's A300B4

CX flights used to do HKG-MNL-BKI-MNL-HKG too, back in the CV880 era I believe

Then there was once we were on a flight (707) to HKG which had originated from Port Moresby ! No idea if it was a regular thing or just one off though

MAS used to fly B737-200Adv between MNL and BKI

I think those were the KUL-BKI-MNL vv runs, lasted well into the 734 era too

I believe there was also a KCH-MNL-TPE service before, did not last very long as far as I recall

(what the heck has this got to do with BWN already ?! :pardon: )

CX flights used to do HKG-MNL-BKI-MNL-HKG too, back in the CV880 era I believe

Then there was once we were on a flight (707) to HKG which had originated from Port Moresby ! No idea if it was a regular thing or just one off though

Whoa... HKG-BKI-Port Moresby, that was unthinkable. Well, what the heck, if MH can do KUL-KCH-BKI-HKG-TPE-NRT (IIRC.. MH60/61) and return with the A300B4, there we many possibilities back then.

I remembered I saw a CX brochure in 1990. CX flew HKG-Port Moresby-Auckland when things were not to bad in Papua New Guinea. I remember it was done with the B742/743 and possibly the L-1011 Tristars assuming PNG was more or less a fuel stop for the old jumbos/ Tristars as the flight time is around 11-12 hours. Port Moresby was pulled from the network after the political turmoil in PNG over many years. Honestly, I don't think the L-1011 was ever utilised for the flights to Auckland.

I think those were the KUL-BKI-MNL vv runs, lasted well into the 734 era too

Correct! It was KUL-BKI-MNL indeed. Are they still flying this route?

Still remember the old international terminal in MNL... it still looks the same today. Sorry way out of topic,

Edited by S V Choong

Correct! It was KUL-BKI-MNL indeed. Are they still flying this route?

No lah, victim of 'rationalisation' and BTP and BTP2 ..... etc :)

I think the choices from BKI nowadays are either with AK to Clark or Cebu Pacific into MNL itself

IIRC i onboard a flight to HKG from BKI via MNL with PAL. middle 90's if not mistaken. :)

Was there a change of planes at MNL ?

I think we did the same round about early 90's on way to London via HKG for my sister's wedding

But the travel agent in all his/her wisdom decided to book us on a CX flight MNL-HKG instead, resulted in a few memorable hours waiting at the very sparsely appointed transit hall :)

(quite infamous too I believe)

Between HKG and MNL I flew PAL's A300B4

Ah, the Lovebus !!! Did it still sport the big two red lips ? :huh:

IIRC i onboard a flight to HKG from BKI via MNL with PAL. middle 90's if not mistaken. :)

Interesting Sam, what was the equipment?

Ah, the Lovebus !!! Did it still sport the big two red lips ? :huh:

Sorry Pieter, it was a normal boring livery, as far as I can recall! Boarded through Kai Tak's aerobridges though, wouldn't have spotted it anyway. This is the livery:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Philippine-Airlines/Airbus-A300B4-203/1426628/&sid=fc1d39b2641549c784bfbd6bc8893b09

Is this the love bus you are referring to?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Philippine-Airlines/Airbus-A300B4-103/0658526/M/

Edited by S V Choong

Was there a change of planes at MNL ?

I think we did the same round about early 90's on way to London via HKG for my sister's wedding

But the travel agent in all his/her wisdom decided to book us on a CX flight MNL-HKG instead, resulted in a few memorable hours waiting at the very sparsely appointed transit hall :)

(quite infamous too I believe)

on BKI-MNL-HKG we stay one night there. :p on HKG-MNL-BKI a few hours transit.

can't really remember on BKI-MNLvv. but on MNL-HKG is a 747 if not mistaken. still remember the seats is like the old school bus. :p

and when approaching KaiTak, the aircraft keep on "swing" left and right.

I think the BKI-MNL would have been on B733 - that was time before PR received their A320's

You did not have to transit at BWN on way back ?

You did not have to transit at BWN on way back ?

I'm glad that question steered the conversations back to topic. Otherwise, we would have to rename this to Manila International Airport or PAL.

And whilst we're back on the topic, I always wondered why during APEC, the two "AF1" 747s were parked at BKI whilst the US president was in Brunei. Was it a specific security issue with BWN or BWN was not able to provide the tarmac space required for the US team?

I'm glad that question steered the conversations back to topic. Otherwise, we would have to rename this to Manila International Airport or PAL.

And whilst we're back on the topic, I always wondered why during APEC, the two "AF1" 747s were parked at BKI whilst the US president was in Brunei. Was it a specific security issue with BWN or BWN was not able to provide the tarmac space required for the US team?

What I heard is- BWN is packed with VIP planes.SO AF 1 have to be parked somewhere. The nearest is KK.

Highways along the rimba to Empire were close for the US secret service team etc. & a US navy ship can be seen along the Brunei coast.

I do recall one Brunei driver bring the US secret service- to the gym- The Bruneian driver followed the secret service instruction of where to drive about in Brunei.

What I heard is- BWN is packed with VIP planes.SO AF 1 have to be parked somewhere. The nearest is KK.

Highways along the rimba to Empire were close for the US secret service team etc. & a US navy ship can be seen along the Brunei coast.

I do recall one Brunei driver bring the US secret service- to the gym- The Bruneian driver followed the secret service instruction of where to drive about in Brunei.

Yes, Bill Clinton arrived the day before the event. The last to arrive. On the night he arrived, China B747, Russia batallion of airplanes two IL-96, two IL-62M, two An 124, few Tupolevs , Australia B707, and some other Head of States arrived in a space of few minutes if not hours only.

Both AF1 had to park in BKI since there is no more space in Brunei International Airport.

It was the most amazing moment for aviation enthusiasts in Brunei...:)

Edited by JuliusWong

Yes, Bill Clinton arrived the day before the event. The last to arrive. On the night he arrived, China B747, Russia batallion of airplanes two IL-96, two IL-62M, two An 124, few Tupolevs , Australia B707, and some other Head of States arrived in a space of few minutes if not hours only.

Both AF1 had to park in BKI since there is no more space in Brunei International Airport.

It was the most amazing moment for aviation enthusiasts in Brunei...:)

Not to mention the big one spent a night at BKI also. :)

Off-Topic:

Indeed... ;)

Miri is definately nearer than BKI i believed but less space to park compared to BKI