MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
zeqa

Brunei International Airport

Apart from Brunei, PAL, Thai and Garuda also used to fly to BKI and KCH back in early 90s. Now no more. BTW, that ABC 747, looks like Antonov when seen in split seconds. :D

i see. I was looking at airlines website BSB gallery & really impress with the some airlines that lands in Brunei- Thai uses their A310, PAL uses their A340 plane & even SQ uses wide-body aircraft in Brunei. We even get a charter from Saudia 747 for Haj in 1999. Yes- My friend said the 747 cargo was there for like 3-4 hours then it flew off.

Now the red army connects BKI with CGK and DPS in Indonesia, and also BKI with MNL and CEB in the Philippines.

It seems the only international airlines is MAS, Air asia, Cebu pacific, Maswings ATR planes (Borneo route) & SQ (Operated by A320 silk air plane). Mostly all small planes :D

Apart from Brunei, PAL, Thai and Garuda also used to fly to BKI and KCH back in early 90s. Now no more. BTW, that ABC 747, looks like Antonov when seen in split seconds. :D

It seems the only international airlines is MAS, Air asia, Cebu pacific, Maswings ATR planes (Borneo route) & SQ (Operated by A320 silk air plane). Mostly all small planes :D

Let's see MH vs AK from BKI :-

AK operates to TPE, HKG, MNL, CEB, SIN, CGK, DPS.

MH operates to NRT, TPE, HKG, PER, BWN (operated by Maswings ATR72)

Occasionally (like now) we get OZ A333. It's just one of 3 Korean airlines plying Seoul - Kota Kinabalu. OZ normally operated by A321.

Wonder if D7 would give ICN - BKI a try. :p

Not sure if there will be sufficient load. But they could start with 3x or 4x weekly.

If they operate KUL-ICN-BKI-ICN-KUL, they can also add frequency to the KUL-ICN route. Or they might want to base one A333 at BKI to operate a variety of regional routes like BKI-MEL, BKI-SYD, BKI-PEK...

Would be interesting to know the load on MH BKI - NRT route. This 6hrs route for MH remains while some other like BKI - SIN or even BKI - ICN were axed. Just last month when MH was running the promotion BKI - NRT promo fare was available until the very last day at RM1,378 all in. Some dates may even be cheaper than the AK/D7 combo via KUL.

If AK is to do BKI - Seoul they could try Gimpo instead of ICN. Eastar flies from Gimpo. Perhaps what's stopping them is the 4 hours guideline whereby those less than 4 hours would be operated by AK's A320.

BKI ICN vs BKI NRT taake almost same time, MH can donit with b737 why ak cant do it w A320?

Their business model says to A320s fly routes up to 4 hrs while A333s fly those above 4 hrs. AK has further added that routes of around 3 hours are their sweet spot, in terms of operational economics. D7 has a sweet spot at around 7 hours.

So, if AK is watching the bottom line carefully, it would have as many of its flights around the 3 hour mark!

That is the thing when aa is using d7 for kul tpe while ak for kul hkg...such a waste... i bet cdu also cun cun 4 hr flt could be done using ak instead of d7. Ak shud look into other exotic destintions like cts or harbin...

Let's see MH vs AK from BKI :-

AK operates to TPE, HKG, MNL, CEB, SIN, CGK, DPS.

MH operates to NRT, TPE, HKG, PER, BWN (operated by Maswings ATR72)

Occasionally (like now) we get OZ A333. It's just one of 3 Korean airlines plying Seoul - Kota Kinabalu. OZ normally operated by A321.

I see- Well with KK development & many new shopping Malls in KK- I'm not even suprise the traffic at the KKIA is busy compares to brunei.

So I guess Korean air operates KK route but been taken over by Korean Jeju airlines? Dragon wings still lands in KK? If only KK can beat Bali one day in terms of beach, club & resort? QR & Emirates lands in Bali.

BTW It seems that the Brunei airport is currently improving but the planes lands at BWN is mostly like municipal type aircraft :lol:

BKI ICN vs BKI NRT taake almost same time, MH can donit with b737 why ak cant do it w A320?

Makes me wonder if MH still operates Narita to KL via BKI stopover? I recall some member did a field report on it. MH usually use the 777 plane.

Would be interesting to know the load on MH BKI - NRT route. This 6hrs route for MH remains while some other like BKI - SIN or even BKI - ICN were axed. Just last month when MH was running the promotion BKI - NRT promo fare was available until the very last day at RM1,378 all in. Some dates may even be cheaper than the AK/D7 combo via KUL.

If AK is to do BKI - Seoul they could try Gimpo instead of ICN. Eastar flies from Gimpo. Perhaps what's stopping them is the 4 hours guideline whereby those less than 4 hours would be operated by AK's A320.

Their business model says to A320s fly routes up to 4 hrs while A333s fly those above 4 hrs. AK has further added that routes of around 3 hours are their sweet spot, in terms of operational economics. D7 has a sweet spot at around 7 hours.

So, if AK is watching the bottom line carefully, it would have as many of its flights around the 3 hour mark!

That is the thing when aa is using d7 for kul tpe while ak for kul hkg...such a waste... i bet cdu also cun cun 4 hr flt could be done using ak instead of d7. Ak shud look into other exotic destintions like cts or harbin...

I see- Well with KK development & many new shopping Malls in KK- I'm not even suprise the traffic at the KKIA is busy compares to brunei.

Yes, loads of shopping mall in KK now and in development. The only traffic is in the mall's parking lot! :p Plenty of private hospitals too. I guess they are trying to offer alternative to getting treatment in Singapore. Anyway doubt it would be cheap in KK since the goods must arrive in KL before sending to KK. I guess KK to Bruneian is probably the same as JB is to Singaporean.

So I guess Korean air operates KK route but been taken over by Korean Jeju airlines? Dragon wings still lands in KK? If only KK can beat Bali one day in terms of beach, club & resort? QR & Emirates lands in Bali.

Korean Air has been replaced by Jin Air, using the B738.

BTW It seems that the Brunei airport is currently improving but the planes lands at BWN is mostly like municipal type aircraft :lol:

Believe me once upon a time BI only target MH. Whenever MH run their promo BI will follow suit a week later. offering even cheaper pricing. Of course things have changed now with AK in the picture.

Makes me wonder if MH still operates Narita to KL via BKI stopover? I recall some member did a field report on it. MH usually use the 777 plane.

Ah yes, if not mistaken MH80 KUL - BKI - NRT but no more already. I used to take this flight from KUL back to BKI when it was available.

Edited by Waiping

I guess KK to Bruneian is probably the same as JB is to Singaporean.

I believe this isn't exactly true, coz it takes up to 6hrs to go frm Brunei to KK if I remember correctly, when there is a shorter 2hrs alternative in Miri, which is approximately the time you travel frm JB to Singapore.

On a side note, even Miri (non-international) Airport has more traffic when compared to BWN, which has only one international MYY-SIN route opreated by AK.

The only traffic is in the mall's parking lot! :p

Let me guess, you kena teruk the Imago curse as well ? :p

Edited by BC Tam

If only KK can beat Bali one day in terms of beach, club & resort?

I don't think that is going to happen, not unless something catastrophic akin to Bali island sinking into the sea or something miraculous like FOC holidays for every visitor to Sabah, happen :)

It's way, way OT btw :)

Yes, loads of shopping mall in KK now and in development. The only traffic is in the mall's parking lot! :p Plenty of private hospitals too. I guess they are trying to offer alternative to getting treatment in Singapore. Anyway doubt it would be cheap in KK since the goods must arrive in KL before sending to KK. I guess KK to Bruneian is probably the same as JB is to Singaporean.

Korean Air has been replaced by Jin Air, using the B738.

Believe me once upon a time BI only target MH. Whenever MH run their promo BI will follow suit a week later. offering even cheaper pricing. Of course things have changed now with AK in the picture.

Ah yes, if not mistaken MH80 KUL - BKI - NRT but no more already. I used to take this flight from KUL back to BKI when it was available.

I see. This also explains why postal to & out from Brunei is really expensive & bit longer. :p No Direct flight. You know I think Miri is a weekend getaway for most Bruneians as it nearer & just one passport control. But Miri shopping is not that good as KK.KK have many international brands like those you can find in KL. Maybe one day once the Bridge project from Muara to Temburong district done( 2018-2019 estimated done). KK trip will be cut by 4 hours(no need to bypass Limbang & less passport control.)

I used Mas twice from Brunei that is from BWN -KUL -AMS and back & BWN- KUL and Vancouver Canada via Tpe.. I recall I use the 747 from KL to canada.

I believe this isn't exactly true, coz it takes up to 6hrs to go frm Brunei to KK if I remember correctly, when there is a shorter 2hrs alternative in Miri, which is approximately the time you travel frm JB to Singapore.

On a side note, even Miri (non-international) Airport has more traffic when compared to BWN, which has only one international MYY-SIN route opreated by AK.

True- So any term holiday or long weekend. You will see jam for 6-7 hrs at the passport control & hired bus of Bruneians tourist will vist KK. For me- I visit KK only 2 times so far via RBA. Waiping did shot a pics of the RBA 777 landing BKI in 2012 that I was in :p Wanted to try to use car one day.. I see using a car in KK is more convenient. You know what I notice is Labuan registered cars can be seen in Brunei more since there is a ferry service operated from Labuan to Brunei. I see they just bypass Brunei just to go to Miri.

I don't think that is going to happen, not unless something catastrophic akin to Bali island sinking into the sea or something miraculous like FOC holidays for every visitor to Sabah, happen :)

It's way, way OT btw :)

I see. hahaha. Yeah Bali have lots of ozzie tourist & others. I think KK will concentrate Brunei tourist the most :p . I know it OT but this topic is not that active as we don't have Brunei plane spotters or not interested into the hobby. In Doha- they have a group but was chase by the police everytime they try to take from the highway. So they need to take from the parking lot only. hahaha.

I have some relatives living in Brunei, and they have been visiting us twice in just over 12 months (all trips by land). Yet, from our (Malaysian) side, we are yet to exchange our visit to their home in Brunei. Plane trips are costly even for 30 min flight. But, trip by land is longer. I hope the completion of 4 lane Pan-Borneo Highway will expedite travel.

BTW, missing those BI 757s landing at BKI back in 1990s.

I have some relatives living in Brunei, and they have been visiting us twice in just over 12 months (all trips by land). Yet, from our (Malaysian) side, we are yet to exchange our visit to their home in Brunei. Plane trips are costly even for 30 min flight. But, trip by land is longer. I hope the completion of 4 lane Pan-Borneo Highway will expedite travel.

BTW, missing those BI 757s landing at BKI back in 1990s.

very true- The price of RBA ticket. Just top it up a bit more- You can go to KL or Singapore. The Pan Borneo highway-I think Brunei has done most part except for the Telesai- Lumut part( 80% is done). But our highway if compare to other country like Dubai. It's only a commuter road.

Progress of the Lumut -Telesai highway

280215-AAK-TelisaiHighway.jpg?itok=phNmh

Bridge 17 that connects to Tutong highway from Lumut- Telesai highway

Tutong Highway - All the way to Lebuhraya Hasannal Bolkiah in Bandar Seri Begawan- 4 lane highway( 2 lane each way)

11119180_10154066844964572_991140149_n_z

Anywheres back to topic:

BSP aviation recently retrofit one of thier passenger Helicopter for Search & rescue purposes. The first SAR helicopter for the whole of Brunei. Base at Anduki Airport.

p14-3_20150301.jpg

Retrofit in Australia V8 -SAR (taken at the Anduki Airport hangar in Seria.)

This is the BSP helicopter taken at Longreach Australia in 2013 to have the Search & rescue equipment retrofitted Plane registration change from V8-SHL to V8 SAR . It flew from Brunei to Australia with many stops I heard.

V8-SHL2.jpg

Edited by zeqa

The Brunei highway photos you showed really are a world higher from the ones we have now in Sabah & Sarawak. By the looks of it, it is similar to highways in West Malaysia for sure. I expect that Pan-Borneo highway project announced by PM Najib will come out on par with Brunei and West Malaysia, toll or no toll. Definitely interesting to see the impact the highway has towards air movements in Sabah & Sarawak ones the whole section of the highway completed.

The Brunei highway photos you showed really are a world higher from the ones we have now in Sabah & Sarawak. By the looks of it, it is similar to highways in West Malaysia for sure. I expect that Pan-Borneo highway project announced by PM Najib will come out on par with Brunei and West Malaysia, toll or no toll. Definitely interesting to see the impact the highway has towards air movements in Sabah & Sarawak ones the whole section of the highway completed.

Alif- I've seen the city road itself at KK - The roads are nice. Some flyovers. etc.. but I never seen the roads outside of KK. I've been to bintulu from Brunei with a car long ago- The roads are like never ending I recall. Single land road. Maybe if there is a dual lane highway. The journey to Bintulu will be a lot faster.

The only toll that we have to pay is the ASEAN Bridge at the Miri border post & the Rasau bridge at Kuala Belait. Once the Pan Borneo is done, I don't think it will effect air travel? Because the journey is too far by car. KK to runei is consider OK in my opinion but Brunei to kuching. WOW..

Alif- I've seen the city road itself at KK - The roads are nice. Some flyovers. etc.. but I never seen the roads outside of KK. I've been to bintulu from Brunei with a car long ago- The roads are like never ending I recall. Single land road. Maybe if there is a dual lane highway. The journey to Bintulu will be a lot faster.

The only toll that we have to pay is the ASEAN Bridge at the Miri border post & the Rasau bridge at Kuala Belait. Once the Pan Borneo is done, I don't think it will effect air travel? Because the journey is too far by car. KK to runei is consider OK in my opinion but Brunei to kuching. WOW..

if u only u experience the road from Miri Border to Lutong, all the wavy road.. for MYY-SBW is 2-4 times wavy.

as for road outskirts of KK is less wavy, but expect for potholes will comeout anytime. especially when u travel on the road leading you to east coast sabah, SDK/TWU/LHD

if u only u experience the road from Miri Border to Lutong, all the wavy road.. for MYY-SBW is 2-4 times wavy.

as for road outskirts of KK is less wavy, but expect for potholes will comeout anytime. especially when u travel on the road leading you to east coast sabah, SDK/TWU/LHD

Hahaha. I see. The wavy roads costs some damage to our car.LOL.. Luckily is just a lost rims caps & small wheel jack cover.

BTW in 2011- China Airlines 747 lands in Brunei.

http://afifs365.blogspot.com/2011/11/year-2-week-46-china-747-400-pay-visit.html

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

^^Ahh my bad.. LOL.

BTW on reddit: Sad review

http://www.reddit.com/r/Brunei/comments/2upufm/brunei_airport_upgrade_would_be_completed_this/

Brunei Airport is dull as, still was being refurbed, but I doubt it will add much. Only had 2 hour stopover, wouldn't want any more

Royal Brunei is a wholly state owned enterprise. Brunei state has introduced Sharia law in 2014 which establishes amputations and stoning as punishment. Torture according to international law. Worth considering before supporting this airline.

I would highly recommend passing through immigration at Brunei airport. The main departures hall is brand new and theres multiple cafes, all of your favourite fast food joints + decent western toilets. The visa on arrival fee is something like $5 and totally worth it IMHO.

Good price, however considering it is owned and run by a government that violates human rights, I would probably think about paying the extra money to fly an airline that doesn't fund an oppressive regime. Personal choice though.

Brunei is boring as bat sh$# but other than the fact the airline is 'dry' I'd recommend RBA.

I flew with them last year, March/May - MEL - LHR - MEL.. it's pretty decent, u cannot get a lower airfare than that..No alcohol, Brunei airport is tiny.. at disgusting.. so yeah keep ur electronic devices handy

Brunei Airport is being redeveloped and has (as of Nov 2015) one coffee shop, a perfume kiosk and a souvenir kiosk. Not much to do except sit around and wait.

Stopovers at Brunei are dull due to the airport being sub par

That is Air China not China Airlines

^^Ahh my bad.. LOL.

BTW on reddit: Sad review

http://www.reddit.com/r/Brunei/comments/2upufm/brunei_airport_upgrade_would_be_completed_this/

Brunei Airport is dull as, still was being refurbed, but I doubt it will add much. Only had 2 hour stopover, wouldn't want any more

Royal Brunei is a wholly state owned enterprise. Brunei state has introduced Sharia law in 2014 which establishes amputations and stoning as punishment. Torture according to international law. Worth considering before supporting this airline.

I would highly recommend passing through immigration at Brunei airport. The main departures hall is brand new and theres multiple cafes, all of your favourite fast food joints + decent western toilets. The visa on arrival fee is something like $5 and totally worth it IMHO.

Good price, however considering it is owned and run by a government that violates human rights, I would probably think about paying the extra money to fly an airline that doesn't fund an oppressive regime. Personal choice though.

Brunei is boring as bat sh$# but other than the fact the airline is 'dry' I'd recommend RBA.

I flew with them last year, March/May - MEL - LHR - MEL.. it's pretty decent, u cannot get a lower airfare than that..No alcohol, Brunei airport is tiny.. at disgusting.. so yeah keep ur electronic devices handy

Brunei Airport is being redeveloped and has (as of Nov 2015) one coffee shop, a perfume kiosk and a souvenir kiosk. Not much to do except sit around and wait.