MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
zeqa

Brunei International Airport

it's almost 33 years old! thanks for the sharing the picture, Zega...

the ATC remain the same and IIRC the road is still same like right? until today. except the new fly-over.

Used to frequent BWN back in 70's when CX did their HKG-BWN-BKI-HKG triangular run

Though to be honest, I have no recollection whatsoever of BWN back then :pardon:

I don't recall we were even allowed off the plane during transit - must have been another oven-like experience under the tropical sun :D

^^Cathay ever serve Brunei?? I never knew- What type? 707? I only know BA & Saudia serve Brunei during 70s /80s.

^^Cathay ever serve Brunei?? I never knew- What type? 707? I only know BA & Saudia serve Brunei during 70s /80s.

I can only recall 707 flights on CX

My wife claims to have flown BA from BWN on way to London :)

Special colours IMHO, as normally white/blue, however, this represents the Ukrainian flag/colours better (yellow/blue)...layout very similar to Dnieproavia though...

See the Samba do Brasil picture:

http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=71933

Thanks a lot for sharing !!!

BA used 742s to BWN, from BWN it flew to Perth on the outbound sector. That was a looooong time ago.

Now, even SQ is not daily (I think frequencies were as high as daily by SQ and additional 2 or 3 by Tradewinds on MD87s). TG no longer flies to BWN. PAL is long gone (used BAC-1-11s). Sure, BI now is much larger than what it was then, when the furthest destination was HKG, and then later, DRW. But all in all, it seems that BWN has no really grown when you factor in the disappearance of the foreign carriers.

Pieter,

I see. Hope to see more of it on airliners.net in the future!

Musaraf,

Didn't know Thai & PAL stopped their service to Brunei. So now its MAS, AIR Asia, SQ( mostly by Silk air).

BTW From what i heard the budget allocation for BWN airport expansion will be decided by end of this year & the expansion will be along the BIACC cargo area.

Didn't know Thai & PAL stopped their service to Brunei. So now its MAS, AIR Asia, SQ( mostly by Silk air).

Even AK ceased operating to/from BKI.

Pieter,

I see. Hope to see more of it on airliners.net in the future!

Musaraf,

BTW From what i heard the budget allocation for BWN airport expansion will be decided by end of this year & the expansion will be along the BIACC cargo area.

no no MI, mostly SQ serving BGW route

no no MI, mostly SQ serving BGW route

Put it this way...most of the SQ flights to BWN today are operated by MI aircraft. And these are not codeshare flights with MI. In the past, these MI operated flights would carry SQ inflight magazines, SQ cutleries, meal service ware, etc and even headrest covers were SQ. Not anymore, prob due to cost reasons.

Edited by Mushrif A

Aerosvit B763 UR-AAH (25534 ex V8-RBH) left Brunei on 12/3 on delivery to Kiev. It is the first aircraft to sport the carrier's new scheme.

Mushrif A,

For the record British Airways :- Has never operated any flights to: Perth ex: Brunei or v.v

Regards Greg Wood

OK, maybe Brunei to another Australian city. How far back did you look into the records? I recall the 742s then had those large (& some say arrogant-sounding) "British" titles.

My father said- he recalls hearing the loud roar of the BA planes at Brunei airport.

BTW last Sun- I saw the old airport building.- It's now a printing office for the govt.

So BC, you have flown on the CX B707s. Any photos to share with us? ;)

So BC, you have flown on the CX B707s. Any photos to share with us? ;)

Been on their CV880, B707, L1011, B742, B744 - but not a single pic of those ! :rolleyes:

Sorry

I think at that point of time not many people, especially our generation, are interested in aviation.

BCTam, wow!! thats almost most of their fleet in the 70's and 80's. Must be a memorable journey!!

I remember looking at BA HighLife mag Route Map while I was a Primary School kid (my ex-school library used to keep BA mag), BWN was a tag-on flight from either KUL or BKK. then from BWN to SYD. :)

Edited by JuliusWong

I remember looking at BA HighLife mag Route Map while I was a Primary School kid (my ex-school library used to keep BA mag), BWN was a tag-on flight from either KUL or BKK. then from BWN to SYD. :)

Thanks! So SYD it was. I recall the 742s arriving in BWN at around 10pm or something late like that.