MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mike P

KLIA Runway to close from 11PM till 12PM

Hey, I noticed this notification on MH Facebook. Anyone got the source?

Sorry, it's actually to be closed from 11AM till 12PM...

3 to 4 AM should be still okay... since the flights won't be busy, but MH mentioned during noon time, 11AM till 12PM... that's kinda busy ...

In BKI, the announcer keep trumpeting KLIA runway closedown from 11am to 12pm.

Pax bound to KUL must check with their respective airliners.

I'm hearing live atc feed from Changi. They mentioned KLIA runway closed from 0300-0400. :blink:

Same thing.

Thats the equivalent of 11am - 12pm GMT+8.

Prob related to the new LCC-T construction.

And 11am - 12pm is usually a slow period at KUL.

Official NOTAM:

A444/11

RWY 14L/32R AND RWY 14R/32L CLSD DUE TO DEMOLITION WORKS.

FROM 03 020700 TO 03 020800

So now it would appear the closure is BOTH runways from 0700-0800Z (or 1500-1600LT)

That kinda blows... plus no mention too if a runway can be made available in case of emergency, albeit I would imagine so.

Official NOTAM:

A444/11

So now it would appear the closure is BOTH runways from 0700-0800Z (or 1500-1600LT)

That kinda blows... plus no mention too if a runway can be made available in case of emergency, albeit I would imagine so.

Tony Fernandes

World war 2 bomb found at new low cost terminal. Has been patially blown up. Will be cleat at 3 o clock. Runway closed so a few delays.

I got this from FB

BKI announce further delay on all flights to KUL up to 4.30pm..

They said this is due to security measurement..

If they found one, what are the chances of others remaining hidden underneath the earth or the tarmac of the new LCC-T?

High Chances indeed :mellow:

I'm hearing live atc feed from Changi. They mentioned KLIA runway closed from 0300-0400. blink.gif

How to get the Changi feed?

Official NOTAM:

A444/11

RWY 14L/32R is at least 2km away from the new LCCT :sorry:

In fact, if youre anywhere in the cities raided by the japs, theres a good chance there could be one underneath your porch. Landmines too. Not everyone is a staunch follower of the geneva convention..

RWY 14L/32R is at least 2km away from the new LCCT :sorry:

An explosion can be felt from that distance - there are invisible shock waves too. That may upset the attitude of an approaching aircraft. So yes, it is a safety precaution to close the runways.

saw this from malaysia airlines page

Due to operational safety reasons, the runways at KLIA will be closed to all flight operations from 3pm to 4pm today. As MAS flights are expected to be affected, passengers are urged to check their flight status before proceeding to the airport.

How to get the Changi feed?

www.liveatc.net Search for "SIN"

Just a question. When the runways close, where will the oncoming planes land? Will they circle around or just divert to somewhere else?

TEMPORARY INTERRUPTION TO FLIGHTS AT KLIA ON 2 MARCH 2011

SEPANG - Flights landing and taking off at KL International Airport (KLIA) between 11am to 12pm as well as from 3pm to 4pm were rescheduled due to operational reasons.

Both runways at KLIA were closed during this period to allow for a recovery operation caused by the discovery of a post World War 2 bomb at the KLIA 2 construction site.

The Royal Malaysia Police had secured the area and worked closely with the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) and Malaysia Airports to manage the situation. The authorities had decided to detonate the bomb on site and, as a precautionary measure, had advised Malaysia Airports to close both runways during these periods.

A total of 45 arrivals and 46 departures were affected during this staggered two-hour runway closure. Airlines that were affected include Malaysia Airlines (MAS), AirAsia, AirAsia X, Firefly, Garuda, Iran Air, Silk Air, AirAsia Indonesia, Thai AirAsia, Thai Airways, Tiger Airways, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Xiamen Airlines, Pakistan Airlines and Eva Air.

All these airlines were notified accordingly in order for them to advise their passengers on the flight retiming. Malaysia Airports worked closely with the authorities to ensure the safety of the passengers which remains our top priority.

Both runways resumed normal operations by 3.26pm today, which was earlier than scheduled.

http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=195&catid=46

This is interesting... Pardon my ignorance, but did this happen today or yesterday? This is because I saw an AirAsia X A330 into Rwy 22 at WMKP at 4.10 pm local time today March 2nd and as far as I know there isn't a scheduled flight into WMKP for AirAsia X... Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

This is interesting... Pardon my ignorance, but did this happen today or yesterday? This is because I saw an AirAsia X A330 into Rwy 22 at WMKP at 4.10 pm local time today March 2nd and as far as I know there isn't a scheduled flight into WMKP for AirAsia X... Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Confirmed that one A330 diverted to PEN (XXA). Most of the flights departing to KUL from other places would have been informed by delivery regarding this matter and it's solely up to the pilots/company on whether to carry on. If they have enough fuel to just circle around the area until they get clearance to land, believe they would have or else just divert to the nearest possible where they can refuel. Maybe Capt. Radzi and the gang of pilots can further enlighten us on this matter.