MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X makes Rafidah board chairman, eyes quicker expansion

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 27 — AirAsia X is to name former trade minister Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz as board chairman this week, a move seen to help boost the long-haul budget carrier's bid for more international routes.

The carrier, which counts British airline tycoon Sir Richard Branson among its shareholders, has not grown as fast as founder Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes expected following the success of short-haul routes operated by the AirAsia Group.

"The board has decided to invite her to take the post and she has agreed," an AirAsia X source told The Malaysian Insider.

An airline shareholder confirmed that Rafidah will replace current chairman Datuk Kamaruddin Meranun, who is Fernandes' main partner in the AirAsia group which includes units in Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines.

The country's longest-serving trade minister until 2008 is a feisty politician who has negotiated and got her way with counterparts across the world, helping Malaysia become one of the top trading nations of the world.

She defended the Kuala Kangsar federal seat in 2008 but did not return to the Cabinet despite investigations that cleared her over claims that approved permits to import cars went to cronies. Despite the furore, the government is keeping the system until 2015.

The 68-year-old avid golfer is now the patron and advisor to the Malaysia-Europe Forum (MEF) and her latest appointment could help the low-cost carrier win quicker approvals for routes such as those to the United States and the Middle-East.

The airline just began flying to Paris-Orly airport this month and Tokyo's Haneda airport in December with 11 airplanes in its stable. It also flies to Darwin, Perth, Gold Coast and Melbourne in Australia, Christchurch in New Zealand, London's Stansted Airport in the United Kingdom, Iran's Khomeini airport and Seoul's Incheon but scrapped flights to Abu Dhabi due to poor response.

All AirAsia X flights use rights assigned to the Malaysian government, most of it won during Rafidah's tenure as trade minister when countries went for open skies pacts and expanded beyond fifth freedom rights. Most of the rights were given to state flag carrier Malaysia Airlines which has cut back on some routes over the past few years.

AirAsia X is eyeing a public listing in the second half of 2011, depending on market conditions and has completed a RM 100 million rights issue exercise to achieve financial independence and fund its continued growth.

The airline launched its first flight in November 2007 to Gold Coast.

As of 14 February 2008, 48 per cent of AirAsia X is owned by Aero Ventures; a venture of Fernandes and other local partners. Branson's Virgin Group own 16 per cent while Bahrain-based Manara Consortium, and Japan-based Orix Corp have taken a 20 per cent stake in AirAsia X for RM250 million.

AirAsia owns the remainder 16 per cent of its sister airline. It also plans to list its Thai and Indonesian units.

AirAsia said last week net profit hit a record RM1.07 billion in 2010, bolstered by a strong performance in the fourth quarter despite rising fuel costs.

It reported on Thursday that profit for the three months through December soared to RM317 million from RM34 million a year earlier.

Revenue for the quarter was up 33 percent to RM1.19 billion amid strong growth in passenger numbers and rising income from the sale of products and services.

Last year, the group carried 25.7 million passengers, up 13 percent from 2009.

Source: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/airasia-x-makes-rafidah-board-chairman-eyes-quicker-expansion/

Great choice. I have great admiration for her as she is a person who can get things done. :good:

and a barf inducing one as well. but the way tony has been buddy buddying naza, its only a matter of time until naza's 'aunty' gets a piece of the pie.

and a barf inducing one as well. but the way tony has been buddy buddying naza, its only a matter of time until naza's 'aunty' gets a piece of the pie.

hahaha, good point!

Isn't Abdullah Ahmad Badawi a board member for MH???

He's the adviser but for the life of me I have no idea what advice he has given MH so far.

He's the adviser but for the life of me I have no idea what advice he has given MH so far.

Being a politician, perhaps the best advice is no advice :p

i guess he is advising on some new flats beds lol

I reckon he's got lots to say about the on-board-munchies.

Hmmmm.... I always feel tired after I eat so much.

i guess he is advising on some new flats beds lol

:rofl:

If the AP queen were to be made board chairman of MAS, people will scream cronyism.. But people seem more accepting since it's with Air Asia.

Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz's impending appointment as a non-executive independent chairman of AirAsia X is to help in its future growth plans which involve more route and aircraft expansion as well as negotiations with the government.

"We can be seen as being pushy ... so we feel that (having) someone (full time) who understands the workings of the government, at the same time who works with the company and understands the workings of the company ... it comes in a good package," AirAsia X outgoing chairman Datuk Kamarudin Meranun told reporters after the signing ceremony of the purchase of three A330-200 aircraft by AirAsia X from Airbus.

"The board decided to approach Tan Sri (Rafidah) and she has accepted the offer," he said.

The AirAsia X board will meet this Thursday to formalise the appointment.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/pax2/Article/index_html

Getting New Routes Is Rafidah's Priority As AirAsia's New Indie Chairman

SEPANG, March 3 (Bernama) -- Getting new routes such as Sydney and Jeddah will be the main agenda for Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz as the new, independent and non executive chairman of AirAsia X.

Describing her appointment as one that would not just revolve around attending board meetings without knowing the directions of the company, Rafidah said she would be able to contribute much to the team.

"We are still awaiting approvals for several routes that we have applied for such as Sydney and Jeddah," she told reporters here after welcoming former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad who visited AirAsia's office and academy on Thursday.

Rafidah said these routes were important for the country, as they could, besides being a link, bring in foreign investors and tourists from overseas.

"An economic spin-off would take place with the routes. Not only in terms of tourists expenditure but also the promotion of Malaysian products such as its services, hotels, transportation and so on."

Business communities that give importance to low costs will definitely be attracted to using the services of AirAsia when having to travel to the country regularly before deciding on opening up their factory or investing here, she said.

"Not all investors go on first class. You can imagine how many people will come to realise the economic opportunities in Malaysia."

Indeed, AirAsia will make Malaysia the hub for the transit of tourists travelling in the region, said Rafidah who replaces Datuk Kamaruddin Meranun.

"Certainly the new routes will not become profitable and productive overnight but we can build them if we know that there is a market and demand. This will be first agenda because we know there is huge potential," she said.

The former Minister of International Trade and Industry said she took two weeks to decide on the offer made to her to take on the post in AirAsia X.

"I was attracted when offered to be the chairman of AirAsia X. Before making the decision, the management gave me a full briefing and I also visited AirAsia.

"I was impressed with the management style and business model and the measures taken to develop Airasia and AirAsia X. Only after this, did I decide to take on the position."

Rafidah said this was the second posting she had taken up after becoming a board member of one of the subsidiary companies of Johor Corp two years ago.

In my own opinion, adding politicians into this kind of scenario won't help much. Furthermore when it is politicians with baggage ...

What they need is real players in this industry who are veterans and well known in the market and can turn things around....If needed to poach the foreign talent....why not....

I think this is a bad move.....mad.gif mad.gif

when the next GE goes to PR, then it will give big trouble to D7

I dont think so if PR takes over Putrajaya as D7 or AK are private companies not GLC related....

In my own opinion, adding politicians into this kind of scenario won't help much. Furthermore when it is politicians with baggage ...

What they need is real players in this industry who are veterans and well known in the market and can turn things around....If needed to poach the foreign talent....why not....

I think this is a bad move.....mad.gif mad.gif

Just wait and see

I am not sure if it is good or bad to have a politician on board - I guess I am neutral on this.

However, its so coincidental that Dr M's visit to the AirAsia office took place on the same day as the appointment of Rafidah!

We can already see the media is reporting what they are saying. So it may be good that AirAsia X has more than Tony and Azran to articulate their views.

TAN SRI Rafidah Aziz has made getting new routes the main item on her agenda, following her appointment as long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X's (5099) non-executive independent chairman.

"We are still awaiting approval for important routes such as Sydney and Jeddah. These routes are not only important for revenue generation, more importantly, it is to meet the demand that is there for the routes from investors and tourists," she said.

Rafidah's first official day as the chairman had a roaring start, with the maiden visit of her self-professed mentor former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad to Sepang.

"(Mahathir's visit) has made my day, especially considering this is also my first official visit (of AirAsia's operations in Sepang)," she told reporters after accompanying Dr Mahathir during the two-and-a-half-hour tour of its office and academy.

Prior to accepting the chairmanship, Rafidah had had a tour of the airlines' operations. It took her two weeks to decide on accepting the appointment.

"I could have taken other chairmanships, but I'm like that ... unless I feel I can belong to the team I would not accept. I don't want to be a chairman and be kept at a distance and just attend board meetings. I want to know what is ongoing ... this (AirAsia) is something you can see, it's very tangible," Rafidah said.

Sixty-eight-year-old Rafidah left civil service in 2008.

In true candid Rafidah fashion, she also acknowledged that her appointment was due to her vast connections both in the country and abroad.

"I told them (AirAsia X) up front, you are going to use me for my connections ... I mean surely, I'm not a glamour puss, a poster girl ... nothing there. It's okay though. If I can (give my) input and make it grow, why not. It's helping a company that is Malaysian," she said.

Source: New routes top Rafidah agenda http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/pax4/Article/

Few ministers and officials can argue well with Rafidah. By appointing Rafidah, D7 is playing the same lobbying game as MH :pardon:

Few ministers and officials can argue well with Rafidah. By appointing Rafidah, D7 is playing the same lobbying game as MH :pardon:

and AK/D7 mentality will be similar to MAS <_<

Regardless of her controversies, the first hint about her impact is now showing. Now let's count how many day does it takes for the approval of JED and SYD from the date of her inception as D7's BOD Chairman.

AirAsia X awaits Jeddah, Sydney routes nod

Published: 2011/03/30

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20110330190012/Article/index_html

AirAsia X is awaiting government approval to start flights to Jeddah and Sydney, non-executive independent Chairman Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz said.

These routes, which were in high demand, would boost tourism development in the country and enhance the growing economic connection between the countries, she said.

"Additional airline service will help us from losing out in serving these routes compared with neighbour airlines," she told reporters at a skills training certification ceremony for women entreprenuers organised by HSBC and the National Association of Women Entrepreneurs of Malaysia here today. - Bernama

Sign in to follow this