MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

More Air Asia fee increases

Direct debit did not incur convenience fee. I can confirm that because I paid the booking which was made yesterday via direct debit and no convenience fee was charged. :yahoo:

That another story for credit card, though :sorry:

Edited by Azrin A

Direct debit did not incur convenience fee. I can confirm that because I paid the booking which was made yesterday via direct debit and no convenience fee was charged. :yahoo:

That another story for credit card, though :sorry:

Yup..confirm that.. maybe too many people complain about the daylight robbery of charging convenience fee to direct debit..

I think most people are not against the payment "convenience" charge. However, it is the manner in which AirAsia has imposed it that is so BN government like! That is what most people are bitching about. Most would agree it should be a transaction charge rather than a per pax per sector charge. This sounds more like an Admin Fee. That is why we felt that AirAsia is bullshitting! :(

How about this eh?

From The Star: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/11/9/business/5071427&sec=business

Merchants can’t impose fees on users of credit cards

PETALING JAYA: Credit-card users who are told to pay extra if they use their cards instead of cash should be aware that merchants are not allowed to impose merchant fees on users as stipulated in the card associations’ operating regulations.

“Under the Bank Negara credit-card guidelines, banks are required to display prominently on the credit-card application forms their fees and charges table,” said Association of Banks in Malaysia (ABM) executive director Chuah Mei Lin. “Banks are also required to print on the monthly billing statements to credit-card holders information on the various charges imposed on the oustanding balances and method of computation of such charges.’’

A comparison of rates charged by banks can be obtained from the bankinginfo.com website.

RHB Bank head of retail banking, Renzo Viegas, said banks would act on complaints from cardholders on “unacceptable practices by merchants’’.

“For example, cardholders should not accept any imposition of surchange, report such incident to the bank or go to other merchants that do not impose surcharge,’’ Viegas said.

At Malayan Banking Bhd (Maybank), merchant activities are continuously monitored to curb incidences of surcharge.

“Appropriate action is taken on merchants who flout the rules,’’ said Lim Hong Tat, Maybank’s senior executive vice-president and head of consumer banking.

On leakage of customer information, Chuah said: “We wish to reiterate that member banks treat customer information with the greatest confidentiality and not sell or use information indiscriminately outside the confines of the banker-customer relationship.

“Banks will not hesitate to take disciplinary action and report employees who breach laws, regulations and policies.’’

In fact, members of the public are encouraged to contact the ABM in respect of any suspected breach of confidentiality on the part of member banks, Chuah said.

Education in card acceptance procedures is especially important in cases where merchants face high staff turnover. There is inhouse training and continuous education on adhering to charges and security issues. — By YAP LENG KUEN

Interesting on what happens next...

IIRC certain merchants are already charging extra for credit card use. You pay more if you pay by credit card. However, merchants can also introduce discounts for cash payments, no? Some merchant also specified that credit card payment can only be made if value of transaction is higher than RM50 for example. Wonder if this is legal.

This should be interesting because I heard of customers threatening to bring merchant to court if they impose charges for credit card use.

So today Air Asia announced another promotion but they also had some other news they chose not to share.

The dreaded fees that we all love so much have increased by quite a high % amount. A sample of the increases on a KUL-BKK sector is:

Hot Seat: RM25 to RM30 = 20% rise

Convenience Fee RM6 to RM8 = RM33% rise

Supersize Regular - International (up to 15kg) RM 30 to RM 35 = 17% rise

Supersize Medium - International (up to 20kg) RM 35 to RM 40 = 14% rise

I'm sure that there are many more increases but I haven't got the information to make the comparison. I really don't like the way they try and bury the bad news.

Edited by Robert

Yes, very sneaky - they always do these things quietly. So it is always better to look at the bottom line net fares rather than their sales promo headline fares.

Yes, very sneaky - they always do these things quietly. So it is always better to look at the bottom line net fares rather than their sales promo headline fares.

Flee - I always do especially as I'm rather price sensitive at the moment LOL

Little impact on me: never choose seat, pay with maybank2u, cabin backpack all the time. :)

Edited by Naim

Little impact on me: never choose seat, pay with debit card, cabin backpack all the time. smile.gif

How do you get away with very few clothes and no toiletries?

How do you get away with very few clothes and no toiletries?

hotel laundry, basic toiletries, undies/socks can self-wash. my record was a 2-week trip to north america & europe with just one cabin bag. :)

hotel laundry, basic toiletries, undies/socks can self-wash. my record was a 2-week trip to north america & europe with just one cabin bag. smile.gif

Wow thats some record.

hotel laundry, basic toiletries, undies/socks can self-wash. my record was a 2-week trip to north america & europe with just one cabin bag. smile.gif

wow...care to show us how the cabin bag looks like....do u turn the undies in n out to reuse.....rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

hotel laundry, basic toiletries, undies/socks can self-wash. my record was a 2-week trip to north america & europe with just one cabin bag. :)

Eeekk, i'd go "undieless" (got some flexibility :pardon: ) rather than do my own laundry/self wash.

My tips,

sleep in your birthday suit

instead of wearing shorts, use g-strings or thongs or better still go to clothes optional beaches. B) Can show your abs, biceps etc

plan your travel in summer only (for leisure trip only la)

bring a very small amount of toiletries, and bring miniature perfumes

lastly, buy disposable undies.

for gifts, buy fridge magnets (only).

You can pack max 5kg in your carry on and save a lot.

wow...care to show us how the cabin bag looks like....do u turn the undies in n out to reuse.....rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

hey, i wash my undie/socks every night whenever i travel. always fresh set every day, lol! hotel room aircon can dry clothes very fast overnight.

get the light fabric case bag. you already wear one set of clothes, so just carry another set in the bag. add shorts, t-shirts, sarong, and you're done. basic toiletries/medicines. no need to carry too much stuff. the art of traveling light.

Edited by Naim

hey, i wash my undie/socks every night whenever i travel. always fresh set every day, lol! hotel room aircon can dry clothes very fast overnight.

get the light fabric case bag. you already wear one set of clothes, so just carry another set in the bag. add shorts, t-shirts, sarong, and you're done. basic toiletries/medicines. no need to carry too much stuff. the art of traveling light.

well said sir.....done this in all my travelling days......

well said sir.....done this in all my travelling days......

hehehe, if winter travel, get those light, thin, but very warm cashmere wool jumpers. overcoat can always carry by hand. gloves, cap, longjohns no issue. all can still fit in cabin bag ... and yes, a small netbook too. :-)

airasia topic sucks. can we change this topic to "sideswapping undies and travelling light"?

another tip. large overcoat have large pockets. in those pockets can go many misc items (as long as legal) that will save u space in the 'case

"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money."

~ Susan Heller

LOL!

From Ak's FB page.

AirAsia

hi all, there is indeed an increase of fees which you can refer at http://www.airasia.com/my/en/flightinfo/feeschedule.page?

The decision was made to cope with escalating oil price. Nevertheless, we decided to only revise optional charges i...nstead of the basic fare. These charges are therefore only applicable to guests who wishes to purchase additional services.

We also want to point out that we’re still holding on to our pledge of not imposing the fuel surcharge in order to keep our fares low for the benefit of our Guests. Compare to other airlline, our charges are of industry standard if not lower.

"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money."

~ Susan Heller

LOL!

That's a good one!

If you don't mind some wrinkles, you could always try putting clothes in a strong plastic bag and suck all the air out of it with a vacuum cleaner.

Just been reading the Air Asia facebook page - seems that their booking infrastrcuture is totally overloaded. This isnt really a surprise because even the minor promotions seem to cause the busy page to appear.

I think some serious investment is needed here.

Sign in to follow this