MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

SBW-Sibu,Sarawak

2011 is here,and for SBW,the terminal expansion project is currently underway.The open field where i used to spot is now closed as it had became part of the new terminal complex building.

Anyhow,managed to spot some traffic movement; however no photos were snapped.

* 2 ATR 72-500 of MASwings

* 2 Airbus A320-200 of AirAsia

* Cessna Citation X (9M-ATM)

* Beechcraft King Air (9M-WSB;revised livery)

* Eurocopter EC-135 helicopter

Sorry for unable to snap any photos; but i've managed to find a small open spot (which overlooks the general aviation apron)next to the previous open field.

Thanks for posting the 1st photo on this thread;Micheal. From which location did you snap the ATR?

Anyhow,did you notice an small open field at the far end of the former open spotting field? I think that's the new spot for us to spot.

Nice pic, Michael. Hopefully I can get some good shots of the MasWings ATR in KCH or SBW soon (will be riding in one).

Im nt sure. This picture i take from the apron i landed from BKI. So mostly the picture i taken is when I go for trip lols :rolleyes:

Nice pic, Michael. Hopefully I can get some good shots of the MasWings ATR in KCH or SBW soon (will be riding in one).

Thx Attan. Currently Im not in Sibu. :( So cant spot with you. But for ur info, you can take as many as you like because the ground staff there not as strict as other airports ;) And on the contary, you have to wait for baggage carried from aircraft as well :lol:

Here's the photo of the former open field;which is now closed for the construction.However,at the end of it,there's an small field (of what's left of it).However,be prepare to get dirty as it was muddy (from what i've seen).

5449339485_a85f627bd1_z.jpg

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

When will SBW be completed? Can't wait to see the new terminal.

Hmmm,estimated to be completed by next year,if i'm not mistaken,Cikgu.

Here's the photo of the former open field;which is now closed for the construction.However,at the end of it,there's an small field (of what's left of it).However,be prepare to get dirty as it was muddy (from what i've seen).

You will need to cross the (maybe) muddy road, but there is some grass next to the fence.

You will need to cross the (maybe) muddy road, but there is some grass next to the fence.

Thanks for the word,Capt; looks like my Crocs will became handy later on.

Starting August 1st,FY is flying to SBW.And here's the timetable:

KUL-SBW

FY660 (ETD:0710,ETA:0905)

FY664 (ETD:1745,ETA:1940)

SBW-KUL

FY661 (ETD:0935,ETA:11:25)

FY665 (ETD:2010,ETA:22:00)

Aircraft(s): B738 (Boeing 737-800)

Let's hope MH flight (KUL-SBW,KUL-KCH-SBW) to be upgraded to B738.

I think the change of 734 to 738 for MH, we might see soon. So Let's start shooting of normal livery before all new liveries comes in :p

Latest photos from SBW.Unfortunately aircraft spotting is now limited to departure hall as the remaining open areas are now cordoned off for the construction project.

Pardon for the quality of the photos.

5711714797_64f93887fa_z.jpg

5712279256_e99c443503_z.jpg

5712283306_9bf2ac74d7_z.jpg

5712286654_837cc8de41_z.jpg

Thank you for viewing; Will try to share more photos of the development project when going to the airport this sat to pick off my cousin from her AK flight from KCH.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Sarikei+Soon+Bee+II+sank+11+Jan+2011+x.jpg

I don't know where to post this, so I'll just post it here, since the ship plied the Kuching-Sibu route regularly prior to its sinking. That is an F50 fuselage in the picture above. Anybody knows any further story on this?

BTW, the ship was MV Soon Bee II, built in 1970 and plied the route until early this year when it capsized on 11th January.

Source

Something is not right about the caption. It can't be the early 70s as the MAS livery on the Fokker fuselage is only dated from the late 80s. Anyway AFAIK all the Fokkers were flown to Malaysia in assembled state before entry into service, and none were dissembled afterward while still in Sabah or Sarawak.

Could it be the fuselage of MGH that crashed in TWU?

Something is not right about the caption. It can't be the early 70s as the MAS livery on the Fokker fuselage is only dated from the late 80s. Anyway AFAIK all the Fokkers were flown to Malaysia in assembled state before entry into service, and none were dissembled afterward while still in Sabah or Sarawak.

Could it be the fuselage of MGH that crashed in TWU?

The ship was built in the 70s, not the picture. Maybe it was the TWU crash aircraft, but I thought the fuselage was burnt in most parts?

It say there

Soon Bee II, a 1368-dwt (dead weight tonnage) 56-metre freighter, was built in 1970. It began losing passengers to road and then air transport in the mid 1980s to 2000s.

Wasnt there a F50 that suffered a landing incident at Sibu in early 90's? Maybe it dismantled and then was shipped (literally!) to KCH for repairs?

Wasnt there a F50 that suffered a landing incident at Sibu in early 90's? Maybe it dismantled and then was shipped (literally!) to KCH for repairs?

The Fokker F50 on board MV Soon Bee II is 9M-MGG. The left main gear collasped during landing and the aircraft then left the runway and ran into some bushes on 2 September 1992. The aircraft was recovered from the site and subsequently the fuselage and wings were dismantled and the fuselage shipped to Kuching and stored at Kuching Airport before it was send for repairs. This aircraft is believed to have been scraped.

The aircraft that crashed at Tawau airport is 9M-MGH and the accident occurred on 15 September 1995.

The Fokker F50 on board MV Soon Bee II is 9M-MGG. The left main gear collasped during landing and the aircraft then left the runway and ran into some bushes on 2 September 1992. The aircraft was recovered from the site and subsequently the fuselage and wings were dismantled and the fuselage shipped to Kuching and stored at Kuching Airport before it was send for repairs. This aircraft is believed to have been scraped.

The aircraft that crashed at Tawau airport is 9M-MGH and the accident occurred on 15 September 1995.

Ah, thanks for that. I remembered that incident at the old SBW site. I always thought before this that the frame was repaired on-site.

the aircraft has never been scrapped. it was repaired in kch. till today the fuselage support trestles are still kept at kuching airport.

Edited by T. AHMAD

So KCH has developed some expertise in crippled aircraft restoration it seem :)

What is the latest count then ?

Crippled F50 from SBW

Crippled MH 734 from KCH's gate

Crippled AK 320 from KCH's runway

:)

So KCH has developed some expertise in crippled aircraft restoration it seem :)

What is the latest count then ?

Crippled F50 from SBW

Crippled MH 734 from KCH's gate

Crippled AK 320 from KCH's runway

:)

you can say that, 3 different manufacturer. normally rescue team frm base will work together with AOG team frm manufacturer. guess that AK 320 still on zero stress support till today.