MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Waiping

Fernandes: Illogical to move us to KKIA

Better not, just as reminder to all of us of what goes on before the move.

He still has a bone to pick with MAHB...

Keep looking at this and thinking why doesnt Malaysian airports listen to us. Strange

CU8vruQVEAA6T8r.jpg

And no love for MAHB for their new hub at LGK...

Tony Fernandes@tonyfernandes Nov 29

8 years of fighting for a low priced deal we finally got to grow langkawi. Credit should be give to PM @NajibRazak

AirAsia: Let us go back to KK's Terminal Two, it's a win-win

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/07/19/airasia-let-us-go-back-to-kk-terminal-two/

They have overhaul the entire terminal and expand the building size by the double. The current amount of frequency they operate out of bki if they were to return to terminal 2 there would insufficient parking bays for the aircrafts and even space for passengers. State gov has to buyout the hostel school adjacent the terminal to facilitate expansion.

then T1 will back to the leisure mode, especially the arrival hall 3. but except midnight time for the Korean traffics. but good for spotters, as we could have some close-up

if AK to be move back to T2 will be voices of complain by TF stating not enough parking for his aircrafts, i remember there's one time i'm flying AK from T2 in July 2013, and flights are deferred due to stormy weather earlier on, after the weather iis cleared, it end up whole apron choked up and one or two aircraft on holding at taxiway for their parking at apron. departure hall is packed to the brim that time, toilet is really dire condition, the immiaigration line is choked up.

Bringing back T2 to operational state is one thing, to upgrade the terminal to sustain AK's passenger volume growth is another, to handle sudden surge of volume will be another headache issue.

Probably make T2 as the spot for their long haul ops if they really sincere in expanding their ops in KKIA. If they are sincere in growing KKIA T2, then let's talk further. It is all chicken and egg talk afterall.

imho, moving RAS to T2 sound more pratical, as they can spare some bay for AK use. BUT, it will be a hard time for Aerodarat (ground handling, and pax transfer from MasWings to MH/BI, or Vise versa.

Tan Sri TF hasn't given up on T2.

I am quite surprised that despite being empty for almost 3 years now, MAHB still has not done anything (physical works) on T2. From time to time, I passed by the building and I still see check-in counters bearing AirAsia's logos. T2 itself is still standing intact and cleanly maintained as if it was left abandoned just yesterday.

actually the terminal still in function for some charter flight or private jets movements, beside of the cargo.

imho, moving RAS to T2 sound more pratical, as they can spare some bay for AK use. BUT, it will be a hard time for Aerodarat (ground handling, and pax transfer from MasWings to MH/BI, or Vise versa.

this is a good idea, spare the ATR/Vikings space for AK jets, a space or 2 will help at times.

The cynical me say Tan Sri TF will get his way and T2 will again be painted red
But not before the place is done up big time, another multi billion ticket, likely ending up beyond scope he wants - just get a page out of KLIA rule book :)
Money ? Of course you need to spend to keep it circulating, and there is always the Chinese tap on hand too
Space ? TAED is now at best gonna be scaled down, maybe even scrapped - lots of adjoining land already acquired and needing to be found a new use for

Seem like groundwork already being laid :)
Liew: Upgrades must be done before KKIA Terminal 2 reopens
from: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/07/21/liew-upgrades-must-be-done-before-kkia-terminal-2-reopens/#horDtklFdgxxY8uF.99

On one hand it would probably put a dent on TAED, but the school's time may be numbered, again.

actually the terminal still in function for some charter flight or private jets movements, beside of the cargo.

Thanks for clarify, but I still think the overall space in T2 is not utilised as it used to be.

I think this latest scenario speaks volume of perhaps airport management in the country can be altered as aviation sector grows and evolves. In JFK, terminals are run by an airline or a consortium of airlines. e.g. Terminal 7 is operated by British Airways, and the terminal is in the process of upgrading and renovation, all paid for by the airline. In the UK, Willie Walsh is advocating for airport terminals be run by separate corporate entities, arguing that it will make UK airports (especially LHR) more competitive. But, of course there are always pros and cons about it.

Even few years back, the previous government was toying an idea of ending MAHB monopoly of local airports operations (http://www.therakyatpost.com/business/2015/10/30/end-to-mahb-monopoly-on-local-airport-operations/). But, never heard the progress ever since.

On one hand it would probably put a dent on TAED, but the school's time may be numbered, again.

I was a student at SK Tanjung Aru back in 1990s, my teacher always paused everytime a plane take-off and regard that as iklan. That was the time when air traffic movement was about half of today.

As much as I like the Kimanis proposal, but I would prefer the airport stays where it is for the next 10-20 years. Very convenient.

http://www.theborneopost.com/2018/07/22/airasias-transfer-proposal-to-terminal-2-unwise-fcas/

Diverging opinions are welcomed as this is from end-user side, but it is best that aviation related matters be approached and decided upon by those that are truly in the aviation business - airlines, airport operators and regulators. :)

They should make T2 two levels - one for arrivals and one for departures. They should make it highly automated - like Changi T4. They need to enlarge the departure hall - maybe by 4 or 5 times the floor area. Then it can accomodate more pax.

Ak needs min 6 bays for overnight planes and it seems to clash with Raya airways and westars bays and even rmaf ops private jets sometimes have to switch terminals last minute due to this. If theyre to expand the terminal there is need for 6-8 more parking bays from the current available bays. They can't expand to the South side as it involves Police air unit,SFC, Sabah Air and Layang Layang hangar. They'll have to expand Northside and move out the school nearby. Expanding bays are not enough as well as The entire terminal has to be overhauled with proper f/b outlets and seating area for passengers with at least 2 floor levels to ease movement congestion. Aerobridge is probably not on AirAsia request so it is not needed. The whole process will take at least 1.5years. So for AK to say they are planning in moving back within next year is very unlikely unless they dun mind repeating the LCCT bus stand terminal passenger experience.

Edited by jahur

Ak needs min 6 bays for overnight planes and it seems to clash with Raya airways and westars bays and even rmaf ops private jets sometimes have to switch terminals last minute due to this. If theyre to expand the terminal there is need for 6-8 more parking bays from the current available bays. They can't expand to the South side as it involves Police air unit,SFC, Sabah Air and Layang Layang hangar. They'll have to expand Northside and move out the school nearby. Expanding bays are not enough as well as The entire terminal has to be overhauled with proper f/b outlets and seating area for passengers with at least 2 floor levels to ease movement congestion. Aerobridge is probably not on AirAsia request so it is not needed. The whole process will take at least 1.5years. So for AK to say they are planning in moving back within next year is very unlikely unless they dun mind repeating the LCCT bus stand terminal passenger experience.

Perhaps, a small general aviation airfield should be provided by either gov or private sector to accommodate Sabah Air, PDRM air unit, Layang-Layang and other small operators. A suitable location could be at Tuaran or even Kimanis. If this materialise,it should release a lot of space for T2 expansion. Besides, I saw a plan many years ago about new road connecting T1 and T2 via the edge of the sea on reclaimed land.

Perhaps, a small general aviation airfield should be provided by either gov or private sector to accommodate Sabah Air, PDRM air unit, Layang-Layang and other small operators. A suitable location could be at Tuaran or even Kimanis. If this materialise,it should release a lot of space for T2 expansion. Besides, I saw a plan many years ago about new road connecting T1 and T2 via the edge of the sea on reclaimed land.

pardon my selfishness.. i sincerely wish both of this doesn't come true. as these will completely destroyed most of our spotting location. :p

pardon my selfishness.. i sincerely wish both of this doesn't come true. as these will completely destroyed most of our spotting location. :p

Then, prepare to travel 40km south as government is still intent on new airport at Kimanis.😊 Despite my earlier preference for current airport to be maintained, for our info, Kimanis proposal has become an official state government policy on land use planning and should be implemented in about 15 years time.

Wont serve the Medevec operations for layang layang and Sabah Air ops Kimanis too far from QEH and KPJ. Gleneagles is also using Terminal 2 for Medevec private jets. Offshore oilrig operations for Sazma Aviation and Weststar would be affected too if forced to move. Edited by jahur

Then, prepare to travel 40km south as government is still intent on new airport at Kimanis. Despite my earlier preference for current airport to be maintained, for our info, Kimanis proposal has become an official state government policy on land use planning and should be implemented in about 15 years time.

hehehe... i remember sometime read an article/plans is to claim back the land near ATC, in triangle shape for further expansion. somehow from my memory it looks just find for a new terminal over there, to handle domestic (inter-sabah flights). just my wild imagination

Sign in to follow this