MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Waiping

Fernandes: Illogical to move us to KKIA

I still think it is beneficial to move to T1, for the sake of the foreigners traveling to KK and locals alike.

..typical of the Msian business scene where bully tactics are employed for the "benefit of others".

I doubt this would happen if the companies belonged to some cronies or relative of some big shots..sigh..

Where do you get off?

It makes a lot of sense and it is good especially for the Passengers if AK moves to T1.

Edited by Tim Lee

Where do you get off?

It makes a lot of sense and it is good especially for the Passengers if AK moves to T1.

Yes I agree that the move is good for passengers as a whole.

However, I suspect that we don't know the full story of what problems there are behind the scenes. MAHB and AirAsia aren't exactly the best of friends!

Yes I agree that the move is good for passengers as a whole.

However, I suspect that we don't know the full story of what problems there are behind the scenes. MAHB and AirAsia aren't exactly the best of friends!

I agree and I certainly dont know the full story and dont assume to know. I therefore dont cast aspersions.

I can only evaluate it based on what I see.

Source: http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=77671

MAB: AirAsia can check into T1 anytime

Kota Kinabalu: Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) is all set for low cost carrier AirAsia to move its operations to Terminal 1.

Malaysia Airports Sdn Bhd (MAB) General Manager, Zainol Mohd Isa, said there is nothing much he can comment on the matter, except for the fact that they are ready to welcome AirAsia to commence their business there.

"As to whether AirAsia wants to come in or not, I cannot say anything about that. We'll just leave all the final decisions to the relevant Ministry," he said, after officiating the Safety, Health and Environment campaign organised by the airport, Monday.

At the event, the KKIA management was urged to improve and ensure the safety and health of employees, apart from taking care of the environment.

Zainol reminded that employees are a company's or establishment's most important assets and need to be given attention and focus.

"It is important that their comfort and welfare are taken care of, especially while performing their duties so that we can expect better quality of performance," he said.

He said campaigns such as these have to be made into a culture and that everyone needs to play their part in making sure the main objective of such campaigns are achieved.

"It takes time, effort and cooperation from all to make a new practice or implementation into a culture.

"When we have a healthy working environment, with healthy employees, the products and services provided will also definitely be satisfying and of good standard," Zainol stated.

In this regard, KKIA Senior Manager, Kamaruzzaman Razali said the campaign which ends today (April 12) is a good way to create more awareness on the issue and to instil good work attitudes and environment for both workers and visitors.

Various departments and agencies such as the police force, Fire and Rescue Department, City Hall as well as Immigration Department put up exhibitions in conjunction with campaign.

Also on the agenda are a safety gotong-royong, blood donation campaign as well as lucky draws for all staff of the airport.

Fernandes had said that AirAsia had been given until June 1, 2011 by the Transport Ministry to shift to Terminal 1

01 June come and gone - more deadlines and ultimatums maybe ?

No big deal, we've already had huge helpings of missed targets, delays, extended deadlines, deferred ultimatums, ignored warnings etc with this KKIA redevelopment over past few years :lol:

01 June come and gone - more deadlines and ultimatums maybe ?

No big deal, we've already had huge helpings of missed targets, delays, extended deadlines, deferred ultimatums, ignored warnings etc with this KKIA redevelopment over past few years :lol:

Yeah! Yeah! How come 'no sound no air'? :huh:

Six months ago, T/S TF wanted to convince us that AK's traffic will be so disastrously affected by extra airport tax to be borne by passengers, should they relocate from BKI's T2 to T1

Now this MAHB pandai pandai on their own go raise the charges at T2 anyway - AK at BKI sure die lah :p

Maybe can use that huge pile of cash collected 'for and on behalf of Rakyat Malaysia' in form of unremitted airport tax to offset Rakyat's burden ? ;)

Its bad for AirAsia actually - all that prepaid A/T is at the old rate. When he finally pays up to MAHB, it will be at the new and higher rate.

Last time they delayed payment, they argued that MAHB overcharged them as the A/T was reduced and MAHB charged them at the old full rate. This time, I am sure they will attempt to delay payment again. So this increase will be used as another excuse to delay payment.

Maybe next is share swap between AK & MAHB :pardon:

During MH/AK share swap, TF met with the PM a number of times, AK issue with MAHB was raised. We can expect changes at MAHB.

Last time they delayed payment, they argued that MAHB overcharged them as the A/T was reduced and MAHB charged them at the old full rate. This time, I am sure they will attempt to delay payment again. So this increase will be used as another excuse to delay payment.

The last episode concluded with a very big and warm 'thank you very much for services rendered to nation' handshake amounting to hundreds of millions, if memory serves me right

Suppose we can expect more of same again this time round ? :D

Khazanah is now looking to revamp MAHB. So maybe T2 will survive as a LCCT - to me, unlike the present KLIA LCCT, it is too well built to turn into a cargo complex. Maybe they can build an aerotrain to link the two terminals?

Khazanah is now looking to revamp MAHB. So maybe T2 will survive as a LCCT - to me, unlike the present KLIA LCCT, it is too well built to turn into a cargo complex. Maybe they can build an aerotrain to link the two terminals?

Maybe, but all LCCT in Malaysia were not built with capacity in mind. So we may be looking at another KKIA LCCT2 project soon. Not to mention a few more fly-over to ease the jam that can only become worst & worst.

Aside from this, the tie-up will also help us build more LCCTs around the country – Penang and Kuching while we are now allowed to remain in Kota Kinabalu Terminal 2. We don’t harbour hopes of running our own LCCT but giving us the right airport charges is extremely important.

From flee's post #248 here

Mission accomplished, one more white elephant (it's actually more greyish) to add on to KK's list

Next on agenda will likely be BKI T2's mega expansion - do stay tuned :p

A year has passed. Anyone has updates on this situation?

I suppose that with cargo traffic on a downturn, there isn't much urgency for increased cargo handling capacity at BKI. So MAHB is sweeping the issue under the carpet...

Everyone is busy with upcoming general election. They are quite happy with the extension works at the moment.

What an opportune coincidence that this thread has been revived :)

Dunno about cargo throughput at BKI, but it sure is getting congested with pax at T2. Pics from last week

IMG_0302.jpg

departure

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

queue(s?) spilling out unto apron - thank goodness it wasn't raining

IMG_1295.jpg

mini sized immigration hall

IMG_1297.jpg

baggage reclaim

Compare that with serene desolate quietness of (underutilized) white elephant on other side of BKI's runway

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03257.jpg

DSC03249.jpg

Well ok, pics of said white elephant was from chinese new year eve, but I have no reason to believe things have gone any livelier since (certainly not when I was there last month)

So Tan Sri, how about reconsider your stubborn refusal to shift operations to BKI's T1 ?

Go on, do it for rakyat and negara :D

Edited by BC Tam

Cebu Pacific Air set to operate from Terminal 1 at KK airport

KUALA LUMPUR: Cebu Pacific Air will transfer its operation from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 of the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) effective tomorrow, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) said.

MAHB said that for AirAsia, its operation would only be transferred from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 of KKIA after the completion of its office renovation. — Bernama

More at: http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2015/01/02/Cebu-Pacific-Air-set-to-operate-from-Terminal-1-at-KK-airport/?style=biz

Looks like BKI T1 will be a busier terminal in 2015!

A bus shuttle service between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 of KKIA would be provided to minimise inconvenience among passengers on the days Cebu Pacific Air operates, it said.

Heh ? What is happening ?! :)

AirAsia to continue operations at KKIA Terminal 2

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Bhd remains with its decision to not move to Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) Terminal 1, despite a ministerial order to do so, says Group CEO Tan Sri Tony Fernandes.

He said moving to Terminal 1 from Terminal 2 would create heavy congestion at the airport while the airport tax, which would be increased by RM35, could kill Sabah's tourism industry.
"We know what we're doing in the airline business and we made it very clear to the Ministry of Transport (MoT) that we are not going to move to Terminal 1 because it doesn't make any sense.
"So we will stay in KKIA Terminal 2," he told reporters after announcing the company's new global ambassador here on Wednesday.
Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi said yesterday all airline companies, including AirAsia, must move to KKIA Terminal 1 in the near future to accommodate more passengers, both domestic and international.
He said the airlines had been given a directive to move to Terminal 1 on Aug 1.
Fernandes said should the airport impose a higher tax, the local airline industry could be dampened given the tremendous competition in the region.
"We have done a fantastic job, support us.
"We haven't had our airport upgraded in Terminal 2, it's badly maintained and the air-conditioner doesnt work. We're almost being forced out," he said.
He said local airport operator Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) should work together with the airline to create jobs, citing the example of airport operators and transport ministers in Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Singapore.
"We don't want to fight. The ringgit is falling down.
"Wouldn't it make more sense for MAHB and AirAsia to sit down and see how we can grow tourism, create more jobs, make the number of tourists to Sabah increase, and make KLIA a hub like Dubai?" he said.
The weakening ringgit is actually helping the low-cost carrier to attract more foreign tourists to Malaysia, he pointed out.
"Sales are very strong actually, local outbound seems very strong at the moment," he added.- Bernama

"We haven't had our airport upgraded in Terminal 2, it's badly maintained and the air-conditioner doesnt work. We're almost being forced out," he said.

Landlord already serve eviction notice and you still expect money to be poured in for renovation works ? :)

Notice the language used - "our" airport :D

Edited by BC Tam

Sign in to follow this