MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Victor A.

LIMA 2011

whoaaa..first time seeing the gripen and eurofighters live for me! will be there from wednesday to sunday..expect to have bad sunburns! :)

Hello from Scotland - I hope you are enjoying seeing our Typhoons! Hope the weather is better over in Malaysia than it is here in Scotland! Anyone got any photos?

Thanks

Gill

1126.jpg

TartanTyphoon.jpg

Hello from Scotland - I hope you are enjoying seeing our Typhoons! Hope the weather is better over in Malaysia than it is here in Scotland! Anyone got any photos?

Thanks

Gill

Welcome to MalaysianWings, Gill. :)

The RAF Typhoons are operating from the RMAF base in Butterworth.

Please check out the photos here!

PICTURES: Hornets, Typhoons join Malaysian exercise

Eurofighter Typhoons from the Royal Air Force's 6 Sqn have joined aircraft from four other nations in Malaysia for exercise "Bersama Lima 2011".

The Royal Australian Air Force sent Boeing F/A-18A fighters and a 737-based Wedgetail airborne early warning and control system aircraft to participate in the manoeuvres that are being conducted from Butterworth air base in Penang.

The UK is leading efforts to promote the Typhoon to Kuala Lumpur, which has identified a need to replace its MiG-29s that have become increasingly expensive to support.

The topic is likely to be high on the agenda at the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace exhibition, which will take place in early December. Other candidates could include the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/...xercise-363986/

They will be here until LIMA? That's about 1 more month away.

They will be here until LIMA? That's about 1 more month away.

Two Typhoons will remain for LIMA 2011.

Is anyone lookin for someone to share the accommodation + transportation?

I am thinking of visiting the Airshow during 7 -9 Dec. This going to be my 1st trip to Langkawi. I am from Malacca.

Thanx. ;)

Emm to my surprise that nobody interested to see RAAF's KC-30A (A330 MRTT)? :blink: even as static display. Third RAAF MRTT just delivered somewhere last Wednesday, IINM.

I still searching and waiting confirmation but this what I found from twitter.

RT @winglets747: Heading to Langkawi airshow next month? A KC-30A (A330 MRTT) from the RAAF will be present

winglets747 Will Horton

I love aviation and I love writing about it. I write for the Centre for Aviation and the Airline Passenger Experience Association.

Other than that. Boeing F18 Super Hornet, Thai Gripen, French Rafale then US C-17.

Not that "WoW!" as 1st edition of LIMA, but I see it more attractive than previous edition.

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

with the gripen,rafale,eurofighter,superhornet and our very own Su-30MkM, we will have almost all the 4th Gen aircrafts in one airshow!getting more and more excited already! :yahoo:

Kris Sakti team sets to blaze Langkawi skies

121111 (Sat)

By ADRIAN DAVID

LANGKAWI

news@nst.com.my

Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) pilots will fly four German-made, single-engine, propellor aeroplanes as the national aerobatics team during the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace (Lima) 2011 exhibition next month.

Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the Extra 300L monoplanes would be in action as the Kris Sakti, a joint initiative between the private sector and the government, for the Dec 6-10 event at the Langkawi International Airport here.

The Extra 300L was designed in 1987 by Walter Extra, an award-winning German aerobatic pilot and built by Extra Flugzeugbau.

In previous Lima editions, the RMAF put up aerobatic teams like the Taming Sari, comprising Pilatus PC-7 turboprops and others, involving the MiG-29N Fulcrum air superiority and Sukhoi Su-30MKM Flanker jet fighters.

Zahid said the RMAF would also showcase its Boeing F/A-18D strike fighters and the Su-30MKM this year.

Others scheduled to perform aerial displays include the BAE Systems Eurofighter Typhoon, France's Dassault Aviation's Rafale and Sweden's Saab JAS-39 Gripen.

Zahid added other prominent aerospace segment displays included the C-17 Globemaster III, the Eurocopter Tiger, Sikorsky S-92 and AgustaWestland AW149 helicopters.

For the maritime segment, Zahid said the Royal Malaysian Navy's (RMN) KD Tun Razak Scorpene submarine would be present, along with the United States destroyer USS Curtis Wilbur, Korea's ROKS Gang Gamchan, Singapore's RSS Supreme, Australia's HMAS Glenelg and India's INS Kora.

"We will invite all members of Parliament inside our submarine to judge for themselves if the vessel's purchase is worth it," Zahid told newsmen after chairing a Cabinet Committee Meeting on Lima 2011 at the Langkawi Development Authority headquarters in Kuah on Thursday.

Zahid said the organisers expected 38,000 trade visitors and 45,000 civilians for the event, which was expected to bring in RM150 million in tourism revenue.

A total of 403 companies, including Boeing, Airbus, DCNS, Daewoo, Blohm and Voss, Embraer, Sikorsky, Gulfstream, AgustaWestland, Fincantieri, Saab, Eurofighter Typhoon, Sukhoi and Navantia -- from 35 countries have confirmed as exhibitors, a 25 per cent increase from the previous event, two years ago.

There will also be 404 delegations from 57 countries. Zahid added that there would be 26 aircraft exhibits this year as compared with 11 for 2009.

He added that there would be 12 ship exhibits as compared with 10 for the previous event.

http://www.nst.com.my/local/general/kris-sakti-team-sets-to-blaze-langkawi-skies-1.4595

Edited by xtemujin

What a shame that A400M is not coming to LIMA.... :sorry:

I've booked my flights for LIMA, arriving late afternoon on the 8th and

back to KUL on last MH flight on the 10th....

got myself (and the family) a cheap homestay near the airport... :yahoo:

Hope to see u there on Saturday, Kip Dawson... :)

I will also be there on the 10/12 day trip, having booked my ticket way back in Feb. Hope to see some of you guys there. :D

Hi guys,

Does anyone who if you can get a cab from the terminal and ask them to drop you just the opposite of the MIEC/airport for morning spotting during LIMA?

I'm not sure how far away you want to go but MIEC is a 15 minutes walk from Langkawi airport.

I'll also be there at LIMA and hope to meet some of the MW members.

Edited by xtemujin

Hi guys,

Does anyone who if you can get a cab from the terminal and ask them to drop you just the opposite of the MIEC/airport for morning spotting during LIMA?

yup, like xtemujin mentioned, the MIEC is just withni walking distance from the airport..you dont want to take the risk of being taken advantage of by the local cab drivers..they WILL charge you with exorbitant fees..

for spotting, i did a simple guide on good locations to get pictures in this thread

LIMA spotting

will be there from the 7th onwards up to 11th..hope to see you there :)

Edited by iwan

Sorry to be OT but is/was there an airshow in subang or something? I remember watching news of it, being the 100th year anniversary of aviation in Malaysia?

Thanks

Sorry to be OT but is/was there an airshow in subang or something? I remember watching news of it, being the 100th year anniversary of aviation in Malaysia?

Thanks

Malaysia Air Festival, CLICK HERE :)

Edited by MIR

Malaysia Air Festival, CLICK HERE :)

Hi all,

Are you guys renting any transportation? I will be staying at Kuah town.

Not sure either there is any chance for transportation sharing, else anyone can let me know the rate/contact during the peak season?

Thanx a bunch.

Malaysia's defence minister has said the Typhoon is best for the nation

Malaysia has a commanding position astride two of the world's most strategic waterways, the Straits of Malacca and the South China Sea. The importance of these sea lines of communication to major powers such as China, Japan and South Korea cannot be overstated. Through these waters flows the lifeblood of their economies. From the west flows oil from the Middle East and from the east flows finished goods bound for Europe.

Although Malaysia and its neighbours have been at peace for decades, it is worth remembering that in 1941 Japan mounted a major campaign on the peninsula with the objective of securing Singapore and establishing a springboard to the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia. Although a major conflict in the region seems unlikely today, in any such contingency Malaysia will be a factor in the minds of strategic planners.

The country also faces a unique challenge in that it is divided between two distinct land masses, peninsular Malaysia and the island of Borneo, with the large, resource-rich states of Sabah and Sarawak. Malaysia also has a claim to the Spratly Islands, which are subject to competing claims by Indonesia, Brunei, the Philippines and China. Indeed, China claims the greater part of the South China Sea and is adding the military capabilities to back it up. This is arguably the single most vexing foreign policy issue facing southeast Asia's leaders.

In this context, the Royal Malaysian Air Force faces key decisions about the future of its combat fleet. The main combat strength of the RMAF is a hodgepodge of five types from the USA, the UK and Russia, that offer little or no commonality. It operates eight McDonnell Douglas F/A-18D Hornets, 10 Northrop e_SFlbF/RF-5Es, 14 BAE Systems Hawk 208s, 10 Mikoyan MiG-29s, and 18 Sukhoi Su-30MKMs. The future composition of this force will be the salient element of the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA) 2011 to be held in mid-December.

"The biggest strategic challenges facing the RMAF is how it can project airpower over the territorial waters of Malaysia, particularly into the South China Sea," said Richard Bitzinger, senior fellow at the Military Transformations programme at Singapore's Rajaratnam School of International Studies. "This is where the Malaysians perhaps face their greatest potential threats [from China]. On the operational side, the RMAF seriously needs to build a 'holistic' force, including AEW aircraft, AAR, and centralised command and control."

The RMAF's most advanced type is the e_SFlbSu-30MKM, obtained under a 2003 deal. Its other fighters face serious sustainment issues. The F-5s are increasingly expensive to operate and while the RMAF is apparently satisfied with its F-18s, these 1980s-era aircraft are also increasingly expensive to maintain and operate - not to mention being increasingly dated against the threats Malaysia is likely to face.

The highest priority for the RMAF, however, is the replacement of its MiG-29s. These ageing aircraft have reportedly suffered a number of maintenance issues since their acquisition in the 1990s, with several industry sources claiming the fleet is often grounded. The replacement will be addressed by a long-running 18 aircraft requirement that is unfulfilled - and likely to remain so until after Malaysia's next election, expected in 2012 or 2013.

Contenders for the requirement include the Boeing F/A-18 E/F, Eurofighter Typhoon, and Saab Gripen. The Dassault Rafale may also mount a challenge. An industry source confirmed the French company opened a sales office for the Rafale in Kuala Lumpur earlier this year.

As for the timing of a decision, one industry source calls this the "$64 million question". A request for information was issued in April 2010, and a request for proposals in February this year. Given that Malaysia hopes to field the fighters by 2015-2016, a decision could be announced at LIMA in 2013. As for the aircraft itself, Malaysia is calling for a multi-role aircraft for the aerial supremacy, ground attack, and maritime attack roles.

The F/A-18 E/F, Typhoon, and Gripen will all be present at this year's show. The Gripens will come from the Thai Air Force, which has ordered 12 of the Swedish type. Two UK Royal Air Force Typhoons will be stationed at Butterworth air base to perform a flying display. A full-sized Eurofighter mock-up will be at the show, as will a Eurofighter simulator.

Bitzinger suggests Boeing still has the best shot at winning. "The RMAF already operates older F-18s. Also, the Malaysians may wish to reach out to the USA strategically, to complement its recent purchase of Russian fighters. If not the Super Hornet, the Gripen might make a wiser choice as it is cheaper to buy and operate but, then again, countries don't always buy military equipment for their military rationales."

Despite industry consensus there will be no decision until after the next election, Boeing hopes the winner will be announced soon. "By the time LIMA occurs, the RMAF will have done a thorough evaluation of the major competitors," says the airframer. "The RMAF and the minister of defence should be in a position to make a recommendation to the prime minister for the MRCA [multi-role combat aircraft] programme."

Boeing offers a number of reasons for a Super Hornet buy. "The RMAF can expect significantly improved tactical relevancy for their Hornets when operated alongside Super Hornet aircraft. There are cost and efficiency benefits associated with embedded Super Hornet training, support and operations."

Boeing points out that Malaysia has bought and paid for US-built weapons, which can be easily integrated with the Super Hornet platform. The RMAF is familiar with the type's capabilities owing to the near constant presence of US aircraft carrier battle groups in the region. A source in Malaysia says US Navy pilots flying Super Hornets often conduct dissimilar training against RMAF Sukhoi Su-30s.

Malaysia's ties to the UK, which is leading the Eurofighter campaign in Malaysia, also run deep. In early November, the Royal Air Force sent four Eurofighters to Singapore to participate in a Five Powers Defence Arrangements exercise between the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and Singapore. Two of these aircraft remained in Malaysia for the month leading up to LIMA.

Of the competitors, the Eurofighter is perhaps the best aircraft for the air-to-air combat role, as this was the primary driver behind its design. The company's campaign director for Malaysia, Ian Malin, says the aircraft has yet to be cleared for a maritime attack weapon since this is not an RAF requirement, but given the timeframes involved in the competition this should not be an issue.

Earlier this year, Eurofighter appeared to receive a boost when Malaysian defence minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi was quoted as saying the Eurofighter was the best aircraft for the country. Some industry sources, however, have said his comments may have been politically motivated and not based on an objective assessment of the aircraft.

Perhaps more important than the merits of the aircraft will be the industrial participation rivals are willing to offer. After strong growth in the 1980s and early 1990s, Malaysia has struggled to move up the value chain from manufacturing to true technological innovation and production. Its government is acutely aware the country risks getting stuck in a "middle-income trap", and will look to leverage the MiG-29 replacement programme for maximum industrial benefit at home.

"Boeing continues to support the ongoing growth of Malaysian industry through our partnerships with local industry such as Asian Composites Manufacturing and placement of BCA work packages with other local companies - SME Aerospace and Composites Technology Research Malaysia Aero Composites," says Boeing.

Eurofighter and Saab will also offer attractive offset packages. "Offsets are certainly a major consideration," says Bitzinger. "Who can give the best deal and help the local defence industry with technology and jobs for national industrial development? Next they will look at what buys help with strategic relationships, and here the USA probably has the inside track."

While small compared with other fighter campaigns such as those in India, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates, big defence aerospace companies are committed to slugging it out for Malaysia's 18-aircraft fighter requirement. The contenders will be going all out at this year's LIMA.

Contenders to replace the RMAF's Mig-29s include the Boeing F/A-18 E/F, Eurofighter Typhoon, and Saab Gripen. Thai Gripens will visit Lima.

Greg Waldron supplies rolling commentary on news from the Asian military aviation sector at flightglobal.com/asianskies

Malaysia has struggled to move up the value chain from manufacturing to true technological innovation and production

Source

For a country the size of Malaysia, the RMAF seems to be operating a rather small number of each type ... perhaps diversity is the intention, but rather perculiar a situation. And if chosen, the Typhoon will add not just to the diversity in aircraft types and manufacturers but also country of manufacture. Not that any photographer will quarrel with this diversity ...

KC Sim

If the earlier cost projections for the Typhoon is true, they would be the most expensive Typhoons in the world. Malaysia is very good at paying more and getting less. ;)

30 November 2011 (Wed) - 18H43

Switzerland picks Gripen jets over Rafale, Eurofighter

AFP - The Swiss government said on Wednesday it will purchase 22 Swedish-made Gripen fighter jets to replace its ageing F5 fighter fleet in an estimated 3.1 billion Swiss franc (2.5 billion euro) deal.

"The Federal Council has decided to acquire 22 Saab Gripen fighter planes to replace the obsolete F5 Tiger," a statement said.

The planes were selected over the French Dassault Rafale and the EADS Eurofighter, also being considered for the multi-billion Swiss franc contract.

The candidates had been subjected to a robust evaluation lasting several years, the government said, and by opting for the Gripen had chosen a jet which "fulfils military demands" while being financially sustainable.

The planned purchase will be put to parliament as part of the government's 2012 arms programme.

During its last session the Swiss parliament charged the government with launching the acquisition process for new planes by the end of the year.

"This decision allows us to acquire a high performance plane without compromising other military branches or their essential equipment," said the government.

During a press conference in Bern, Swiss Defence Minister Ueli Maurer described the model as "technically excellent" while estimating the cost of the deal at up to 3.1 billion Swiss francs -- said to be the cheapest of the three options.

Saab shares rose in Stockholm after the announcement, gaining 9.6 percent to 119 kronor (13 euros/17.6 dollars).

The choice came as a relative surprise in Switzerland after media reported several days ago that the Swedish plane had not fully passed technical tests. A Paris-based analyst specialising in the air defence industry said the Rafale option was considerably more expensive and had little chance of winning the contract however.

Saab admitted it made "huge concessions over the price to ensure it got the contract", the analyst said, while adding that the deal could still be put to a referendum if there was sufficient opposition.

Saab said Wednesday it was "proud and delighted" over Switzerland's decision.

"Given that Switzerland is known globally for applying (the) highest procurement standards and requesting state-of-the art technologies, Saab is both proud and delighted that Gripen has been chosen as the Swiss Air Force's future multirole fighter aircraft," Saab said in a statement.

The Swiss selection "confirms that Saab is a market-leader in the defence and security industry and that Gripen is a world-class fighter system that provides the best value for money", Saab CEO and president Haakan Buskhe said.

http://www.france24.com/en/20111130-switzerland-picks-gripen-jets-over-rafale-eurofighter

so whos going on what date?would be great if we can meetup in langkawi :)