MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Victor A.

LIMA 2011

I can seem to find any topic on LIMA 2011, so I guess I start with one. LIMA will be coming to Langkawi again this coming December. Will it be better than LIMA 2009? Lets find out....

LIMA 2011

I can seem to find any topic on LIMA 2011, so I guess I start with one. LIMA will be coming to Langkawi again this coming December. Will it be better than LIMA 2009? Lets find out....

LIMA 2011

My last visit was LIMA 2001, i'm planing for LIMA 2011.

Every coming LIMA show is said to be better than the last. 2009's LIMA was quite pathetic and the government had to resort to calling on our southern neighbors to put in a couple of aircrafts for static display (includes the Apache Longbow attack helicopter).

I remembered on the first LIMA show where both US's Thunderbirds and UK's Red Arrows showed their air superiority over the Langkawi skies.

The next LIMA, the Russian Knights and Red Arrows gave a breath-taking air shows. After that, it fizzles to a couple of fly-pass by the local boys.

Would it be better this coming one?

Like LIMA, the KLIM was said to be better than before. And the result? I think NAZA plaza have better car showcase than this pay for entry exhibitions. The former does not charge anything to view its range of exotic cars.

Yes, LIMA is dead cos it was a political creation of former PM Madhatter. Now that he is no longer in charge, the show is really a waste of time as there is no political will to sustain the show. Not sure if there is a trade association for the aerospace industry here. Normally airshows (and motor shows) are organised by trade associations. Without a trade/profit motive, it is hard to justify costly affairs like LIMA.

When the host country is in the market to purchase some aircrafts, big players will try to woo the country with much as shows and bring in the potential aircrafts for static and flying demonstrations as well.

Singapore would be the best bet to have a great air show whether static or air display.Due to economic reasons etc., big players will only enter air shows that provide maximum impact for them..

However, the last Singapore International motor show was quite a let down indeed. There are not many exotic vehicles on display. Private ownership of exotic vehicles like the Pagani Zondas, Mclaren Mercedes, Lambos etc were aplenty in their owners' homes than this pay to view Koreans, and a couple of conceptual cars.

Bottom line is, we will always be out-shined by our neighbors.

Well based on pictures of the previous China airshow from fellow Mwingers and A.net I think it is something worth visiting. All the aircrafts seems rare.

I think what probably would make an air-show worth the dime spent is like having a F111 stealth, Thunderbolts, Apaches, Typhoon, some WW2 Brit & German aircrafts like Spitsfire, Hurricanes, Junkers, ME109, or even the Japanese Zero-sen.. It's just breath-taking just to hear the radial engine roars.. There are many collectors in the west that regularly service and flies them. I wondered if LIMA will think of this to make the coming show more exciting and unique in this part of the region.

Edited by Cire

I think what probably would make an air-show worth the dime spent is like having a F111 stealth, Thunderbolts, Apaches, Typhoon, some WW2 Brit & German aircrafts like Spitsfire, Hurricanes, Junkers, ME109, or even the Japanese Zero-sen.. It's just breath-taking just to hear the radial engine roars.. There are many collectors in the west that regularly service and flies them. I wondered if LIMA will think of this to make the coming show more exciting and unique in this part of the region.

No sweat! We still have the semi retire MIG-29s. :p

i doubt LIMA organizer would even consider this idea. as LIMA is more focus toward those high-tech & state-of-the-art birds, i mean, its not Bolehland standard to have those WW2 birds on exhibit. thus, resulted in the mediocre LIMA '09...

It will be great to see the Airbus A400M and the Eurocopter EC725 for LIMA 2011.

Well, at least we were able to see the USAF Thunderbirds performing at RMAF Subang in 2009.

The southern neighbour, Singapore airshow also sucks and blows.

Edited by xtemujin

LIMA 2011 will draw greater interest & participitation

credit to Mcwood of Militaryphotos.net

lima2011officialopening.jpg

It'll be great to see that too at LIMA 2011.

Cheers.

perhaps also the Dreamliner.. it really dwarfs the 747-400..

I going to the LIMA 2011 with my family =D

perhaps also the Dreamliner.. it really dwarfs the 747-400..

Does it ?

Or is it the Soviet Dream you're referring to ? :)

Does it ?

Or is it the Soviet Dream you're referring to ? :)

aiyah..apologies.. Not the Dreamliner. Its the Airbus A380.

The unit that I saw was the Singapore Airlines' as it was taxing out of Heathrow.

MAS' "Pangkor" 747s looked so small as the A380 passed it slowly and steadily. Hm, I wondered if it could land/take-off from Langkawi airport?

Perhaps Boeing can send their B787 "Nightmareliner" since they have so many undelievered but completed frames. It will be a privilege for all to see this beauty .... :rolleyes:

aiyah..apologies.. Not the Dreamliner. Its the Airbus A380.

The unit that I saw was the Singapore Airlines' as it was taxing out of Heathrow.

MAS' "Pangkor" 747s looked so small as the A380 passed it slowly and steadily. Hm, I wondered if it could land/take-off from Langkawi airport?

MAS already land a 747 at Terengganu airport and its runway is 2,800m and 9,186 ft.And langkawi airport runway is 3,810m and 12,500ft.Maybe the 747 can land at there and the A380.

MAS already land a 747 at Terengganu airport and its runway is 2,800m and 9,186 ft.And langkawi airport runway is 3,810m and 12,500ft.Maybe the 747 can land at there and the A380.

r u sure the figure is correct??

r u sure the figure is correct??

I search at Wikipedia

i don't think WMKN/TGG rwy is that long..

City: Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia

Name: Sultan Mahmud

ICAO / IATA: WMKN / TGG

Details

Type: Airport (Aerodrome, Airfield)

Latitude: 5°22'58"N (5.382639)

Longitude: 103°06'12"E (103.103360)

Datum: WGS 1984

Elevation: 21 ft (6 m)

Runways: 1

Longest: 6600 × 150 ft (2012 × 45.5 m)

City: Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia

Name: Langkawi International Airport

ICAO / IATA: WMKL / LGK

Details

Type: Airport (Aerodrome, Airfield)

Use: Public/Civil

Latitude: 6°19'47"N (6.329728)

Longitude: 99°43'43"E (99.728667)

Datum: WGS 1984

Elevation: 29 ft (9 m)

Runways: 1

Longest: 12500 × 148 ft (3810 × 45 m)

correct me if I'm wrong...

Edited by Victor A.

i don't think WMKN/TGG rwy is that long..

correct me if I'm wrong...

Maybe Wikipedia wrong :pardon: and you are right

Terengganu airport is still in progress to expand their runway