MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Cire

Low flying jets

sigh... as with most folks in the USJ area, we often lamented the noise of commercial jets flying over our roofs but of late, it appears that the noise is much more louder than usual. It could be due to low clouds but it appears to be the same loud noise every night about the same time..9ish.pm..

It is true that on certain time of the year, aircrafts would be flying from north-south direction, and on the other, a south-north direction?

Any ideas?

sigh... as with most folks in the USJ area, we often lamented the noise of commercial jets flying over our roofs but of late, it appears that the noise is much more louder than usual. It could be due to low clouds but it appears to be the same loud noise every night about the same time..9ish.pm..

It is true that on certain time of the year, aircrafts would be flying from north-south direction, and on the other, a south-north direction?

Any ideas?

For some reason, I think the Transmile B727 have been flying quite often lately, especially at night. I've noticed it too recently. Regarding your question on the flying directions, I think it depends mostly on the wind direction. Anyone care to enlighten us further? :)

oh... a Transmile? The fleet was recently sold to FedEx. Probably doing a night flight test?

oh... a Transmile? The fleet was recently sold to FedEx. Probably doing a night flight test?

Perhaps you mean their former MD-11Fs;which had been sold to FedEx recently.

4 MD-11's were sold. The 727's are still in service.

low bypass engines produce very loud sound compare to newer modern engines..such example are old B727s and B737s..some countries such in Europe banned this kind of aircraft from landing in airports that fitted with such engines

I noticed that the tri-engined aircrafts like the MDs were louder than B737s..

Low flying B737s of MAS and AAsia when approaching KLIA has quite low noise and it is negligible so much so that sometimes you didn't notice the noise. But whenever a tri-engined jets flies in or out of KLIA, the noise is especially thunderous and blaring. You can't even listen to the TV program.

Not a complain as it only last a couple of seconds (at least for me, can't say the same for my neighbors) but to me, it is much more of out of curiosity to know why is it that only during certain time of the year that most aircrafts will fly in/out from a certain direction.

I noticed that the tri-engined aircrafts like the MDs were louder than B737s..

These older B737-200 and B727-200 are equipped with Pratt & Whitney JT8D family engines and are much noisier due to the low bypass ratio.

More info: http://www.pw.utc.com/vgn-ext-templating/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=93cd34890cb06110VgnVCM1000004601000aRCRD

Low flying B737s of MAS and AAsia when approaching KLIA has quite low noise and it is negligible so much so that sometimes you didn't notice the noise.

The Boeing 737-400, 737-800 (MAS) and Airbus A320-200 (AirAsia) aircraft are more modern and use the CFM-56 family engines. These are higher bypass ratio turbofans and are more modern, hence the lower noise: http://www.cfm56.com/products

Not a complain as it only last a couple of seconds (at least for me, can't say the same for my neighbors) but to me, it is much more of out of curiosity to know why is it that only during certain time of the year that most aircrafts will fly in/out from a certain direction.

Prevailing weather conditions and change in wind direction will dictate which runways are used. The monsoon seasons may force planes to fly around the bad weather too. Some flights are seasonal, e.g. Formula 1 cargo only comes around in March. During year end, logistics companies like DHL and others may also be busier.

Edited by flee

Transmile has the following flights TH541 departing 0320hrs to KCH, TH317 at 0505 to BKI, TH545 at 0545 to KCH and TH3508 from HKG arriving 0705hrs. These could be the culprits in the morning and there is a TH flight to HKG departing at 2115hrs could be the loud plane around "9 ish..pm" by Cire. All operated by B72F.

even with the hush kit?

Malaysian airports do not have noise abatement rules. This Westar B732 does not have a hush kit. I think hush kits are not popular due to the performance penalties imposed.

In the EU and US, planes that do not conform to noise regulations are not allowed at their airports. That is why the only way to see classic jet aircraft is to go to third world countries!

Everyone loves to live near the airport but hate the noise of jets ......... <_<

How do you explain that? .... :help:

:hi:

I think its fine by me.. Whenever I have time, I'll go to nearby aieport, stop at the roadside (just before threshold) and wait for those jets to come...

So relaxing...

Transmile has the following flights TH541 departing 0320hrs to KCH, TH317 at 0505 to BKI, TH545 at 0545 to KCH and TH3508 from HKG arriving 0705hrs. These could be the culprits in the morning and there is a TH flight to HKG departing at 2115hrs could be the loud plane around "9 ish..pm" by Cire. All operated by B72F.

hey...that's right.. The loud roars usually cracks in around 9.35pm... hahhaa...wah, detailed. tks...

..and the runway in use in WMSA is also dictated by the runway in use in WMKK.. ;)

Not necessarily so as runway 15 is preferred no matter what runway is in used at WMKK. That is unless the the weather especially the tailwind component necessitates a runway change.

go nearby airport is not equivalent to stay nearby. <_<

Haha!! Silly me hehe..

the old 732s and 727s are very very noisy as they uses the JT9 engines - probably almost 3 times the noise footprint of a A320 or 738

pardon me it's jt8. jt9 fitted to jurassic 747s...

Transmile's 4 MD-11F were sold to Fedex... 2 of them already departed to Singapore for C check by 2 Fedex Test Captains.

They did flight test in the afternoon at Training area and climbed to FL300++ and then descent all the way to Singapore.

First one departed on 17th and 2nd one on 19th of January. Another 2 still waiting for spare parts to arrive.

Transmile's 4 MD-11F were sold to Fedex... 2 of them already departed to Singapore for C check by 2 Fedex Test Captains.

They did flight test in the afternoon at Training area and climbed to FL300++ and then descent all the way to Singapore.

First one departed on 17th and 2nd one on 19th of January. Another 2 still waiting for spare parts to arrive.

Yes, it was caught on arrival in SIN here: http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4108&view=findpost&p=272077

Unfortunately, SZB spotters did not have information on its departure. Hopefully we will have some news of when the other two are scheduled for departure from SZB.