MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Radzi

Not so good news for new pilots

From the Star

ABOUT 500 pilots earned their wings and aimed for the sky – only to see their dreams come crashing. The reality is that there are few openings and the job shortage has hit them hard.

Most of these pilots, who graduated from the eight flying schools in the country, have been without a job for between one and two years.

Some more link from the same source:

Flying dreams a pie in the sky.

Sometimes, it’s a long wait in the wings.

Ensure pilots meet the standards, says MAS.

I have a friend in this situation, he graduated last year from the flying school in Ipoh. Wonder why MH & AirAsia don't just take the cadets? Surely their training costs would be lower since they don't have to pay for the cadets' PPL.

maybe someone started flying schools yo make a quick buck. Maybe need more regulation on flying schools, just like setting up an airline.

And even worse for aspiring pilot...like me

"Last year, the country’s two major airlines – Malaysia Airlines Bhd and AirAsia – each hired only an average of 100 graduates each for their airline pilot training programme."

As I know, only one batch of 16 lucky people were sent by MAS to HMA last year.

This is rather confusing. One minute, it was shortage of pilots in this region. And now, we have buffers of them waiting around, and no airlines to go to.

It was reported somewhere back in Nov last year that, the Asian region will be experiencing an acute shortage of commercial airlines pilots due to the fact that the economies over here is booming and air travel is perceived to grow tremendously. Especially with the booming Chinese economies, where businessmen are expected to fly in and out of China with ferocious speed, and where wealthy Chinese tourist are more willingly to travel abroad for holidays.

Many airlines are rushing to get additional planes to cater to the surge, and this situation have attracted many expatriates to flock in to this region's airlines.

And now, there's a glut of airline pilots?? Hm...which is which?

Shortage of 'experience' pilot?? - YES

Certainly not freshies ..........

Just like any other jobs, there plenty of unis in Malaysia and not less than 50 000 JOBLESS newly grads (as of 2009 stat) flooded the market .......

Who's fault? Should the gov closes down some of the unis?

This is a 'normal' situation and this is where parents should think carefully and advise/channel their children accordingly.

Doctors, sailors and LAEs (just to name a few) are highly demanded and our country never have enough of them. Why aren't many students keen to explore that fields?

Not glamourous enough? Too difficult to pass? Poor command of english? etc .......

Just a thought

:hi:

Perhaps patience will pay off

Absolutely agree 110%! Those with passion to fly, this news should not douse any of your flying desire! :good:

Doctors, sailors and LAEs (just to name a few) are highly demanded and our country never have enough of them. Why aren't many students keen to explore that fields?

Not too sure about the doctor part..

this is why if you are in it just for the money , you are going to be utterly disappointed

but heck , even those that are in the airline , are complaining ? hahaha .. they are in a world of their own .

Can probably answer about the occupation in bold. Why they are not keen? Because training takes AGES, collecting experience takes another AGE, passing ALL the exams in one go takes a few ages. By that time everyone's already down mentally and morally, and decide to venture into other things. B-but, many have done it in probably 4 years? :sorry:

IMHO, in terms of LAEs & Sailors, I don't think there's much knowledge and exposure to the general public about those two occupation. And if I'm not mistaken, LAE is a well paying job. My former neighbour is a LAE in PEN and he's doing very well. As for sailors, my cousin and a school friend works for MISC and is making good money, almost pilot-like, but because they give it in one lump sum, you have to be careful spending it.

On the subject of doctors, I'm not sure. Maybe it's all the bad press about the long & hard working hours in the hospital, or the fact that Biology is a rather boring subject (for me at least).

Agree. School leavers should consider the many career opportunities out there that can pay well. My cousin is in his late 40s and already the Master (or Captain) of MISC's LNG supertanker Seri Ayu. He seems to enjoy his career, despite having to transport a very dangerous, highly inflammable cargo :blink:

Even though I'm not relly convinced by the statement from DCA, I just hope it could be true.... :sorry:

From Twitter:

"RT: @tonyfernandes: Many many asking me about being a pilot. Next in febraury. There are 700 applicants for 20 jobs. So competition is tough."

also read this in the papers a couple weeks ago :(

for those affected ,never have doubt and just keep ur heads up..

im sure some solution for this matter would be sorted out...hmm..

Sign in to follow this