MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Wilson Kook

The Prediction Game

Let's do something fun. I'm gonna start a little game. Each person is to list down 5 new airlines, that they expect to see at KLIA this year. You are to list only airlines which are not currently flying into Kuala Lumpur. For instance:

1. ABC Airlines

2. 123 Airways

3. ""

4. ""

5. ""

At the end of the year, the person with the most accurate prediction shall be declared the "Prediction Game Champion of 2011." I know there's no physical reward, but at least there's some pride and virtual fame at stake. May the best man win :pardon:

You have until 31st March, 2011 to send in your entries.

Ps: You are welcome to justify your selections. For example, if you wish to explain why you expect ABC Airlines to start visiting KUL, by all means, do so.

Just to get the ball rolling, here are my 5 entries. Please note that I'm merely doing this for fun, and I'm not entitled to win this game. I'm only breaking some ice here, nothing more. So here goes!

1. All Nippon Airways

2. Kingfisher Airlines

3. Turkish Airlines

4. Hainan Airlines

5. Virgin Atlantic

NH & TK is currently on code-share agreement with MH;while VS has an partnership agreement with MH since June 1995,which is called 'Asia Pacific Partnership'.Other member of the partnership is now-defunct Ansett Australian Airlines.

Heard that TK is considering KUL as their latest destination,but let's just wait and see.

And here's my selection:

1.Asiana Airlines- They only flew to BKI;and cargo flights to KUL and PEN.Currently only MH,D7 and KE operates KUL-ICN route.

2.Philippine Airlines- used to fly to KUL and BKI,but now they're on code-sharing agreement with MH.Hope to see the return of oldest Asian flag carrier operating under the original name to KUL in the future.

So far,only these 2 airline in my head for the moment;will add up remaining 3 later on.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

My list:

1 AirAsia Philippines

2 ANA

3 Jetstar (might revive the KUL-SYD flights)

4 Turkish

5 Kingfisher/Jet Airways (a new airline from India)

isnt that Jet Airways already flying to KUL?

Ooops! Of course they do! I kept thinking that they only code share with MH! ;)

Anyway, I am just predicting the entry of a new airline from India. So Kingfisher will do! :)

BTW, the first new airline is already serving KUL...

1 Firefly

Since I don't know much about what's going on within the airline industry and how MAHB works, I'll go with what I would like to see at KLIA. If any of the following airlines do come to KLIA it would be a double bonus for me!

- Aeroflot

- Air Koryo

- South African Airlines

- Hainan Airlines (chance for us to try the new 5* airlines perhaps?)

- V Australia (maybe they can tag KCH/BKI with PER too) :p

I think, this year will see more low-cost carriers flying into KLIA, as well as a few Full service carriers. So my bet for this year are :-

1. Thai Tiger Airways

2. AirPhil Express

3. Air Arabia

4. Philippines AirAsia

5. Air New Zealand

1.Asiana Airlines- They only flew to BKI;and cargo flights to KUL and PEN.Currently only MH,D7 and KE operates KUL-ICN route.

2.Philippine Airlines- used to fly to KUL and BKI,but now they're on code-sharing agreement with MH.Hope to see the return of oldest Asian flag carrier operating under the original name to KUL in the future.

I'm adding 3 more to the list above:

3.Aeroflot-If i'm not mistaken,they used to fly to KUL during the SZB heyday (using Il-62 aircraft;pardon me if i'm wrong here).Hope that SU could consider KUL as their destination,after Transaero terminated the DME-BKK-KUL route.

4.Austrian-Once served by OS,but later terminated in March 2007 alongside their flight to SYD and MEL,ending their 'Kangaroo Route' operations.

5.Swiss- I'm not sure about it,but hope they could considering about it as well.

KUL has so much potential, surprised it's not as busy as BKK or SIN already. Even SGN has a pretty good selection of Quality carriers.

1. Asiana Airlines - Shocker! Should be flying to KUL along time ago

2. British Airways - Start LHR-KUL-MEL perhaps?

3. Kingfisher Airlines - The Malaysian Market is big enough for 1 more

4. AirPhilExpress - Would most probably operate on behalf of PR, with all the new LCC entrance

5. AirAsia Philippines - Has to fly to parents HUB

6. Virgin Atlantic - I would love them to extend to MEL also

My 2p worth:

1. BA

2. TK

3. OZ (i find it shocking too!)

4. NH (also another shocker)

5. Kingfisher (god knows what the code is)

AY was supposed to fly to KUL in 2007 but instead stopped flights to SIN, cancelled KUL flights (which didn't even start) and concentrated on BKK and HKG.

I hope they will reconsider their decision.

My 2p worth:

1. BA

2. TK

3. OZ (i find it shocking too!)

4. NH (also another shocker)

5. Kingfisher (god knows what the code is)

AY was supposed to fly to KUL in 2007 but instead stopped flights to SIN, cancelled KUL flights (which didn't even start) and concentrated on BKK and HKG.

I hope they will reconsider their decision.

Kingfisher's IATA code is IT. AY was bleeding money few years back so they decided to cut routes and consolidates its Asian routes to only BKK and HK. OS did the same.

I personally would like to all those routes you guys have suggested to fly in. Lets see what MAHB dangles for them to 'eat'. fingers crossed. TK will come soon I think, since they are opening up routes like every single month last year. NH and OZ would be good additions.

Edited by JuliusWong

BTW, the first new airline is already serving KUL...

1 Firefly

And so does the 2nd airline - Air Koryo. MAHB mentioned that 2 more airlines will be serving KUL after the announcement of Air Koryo.

Since I don't know much about what's going on within the airline industry and how MAHB works, I'll go with what I would like to see at KLIA. If any of the following airlines do come to KLIA it would be a double bonus for me!

- Air Koryo

- V Australia (maybe they can tag KCH/BKI with PER too)

Bull's eye with the Air Koryo, Waiping!

Wish(-ful thinking) list of mine...

1. Virgin Blue/V Australia.

I also think Virgin Australia will serve KUL.

Recent analyst reports have mentioned several times that following its impressive growth in 2010 where KUL was ranked 32nd in the world by passengers traffic (KUL is currently at no. 27 as of January 2011), the airport is 'a must have and international airlines will be “obliged” to serve it in the near future as it is a major handicap not having a big international hub gateway – i.e KLIA, in their network.'

So we are in for a good time.

I heard there's a tiff going on between SQ and NZ, resulting in NZ stop operating into SIN (don't blame me if it wasn't true :(). Maybe NZ can fly to KUL as a transit to European routes.

Wowow, looks like Air NZ has indeed stop flying to Singapore. It's not a destination on their booking engine and neither is Air NZ listed on the airlines serving Changi. Hopefully MAHB can capitalise on this.

Recent analyst reports have mentioned several times that following its impressive growth in 2010 where KUL was ranked 32nd in the world by passengers traffic (KUL is currently at no. 27 as of January 2011), the airport is 'a must have and international airlines will be “obliged” to serve it in the near future as it is a major handicap not having a big international hub gateway – i.e KLIA, in their network.'

Believe about half of KUL pax volume are contributed by AK, D7, etc LCC. Not sure legacy airlines are interested in this market segment.

If I pull out the numbers from the statistic thread:

KLIA Passenger Traffic 2010

Domestic

MTB - 4.3 million passengers (-1.5%)

LCCT - 6 million pasengers (+6.9%)

TOTAL - 10.3 million passengers (+3.2%)

International

MTB - 14.4 million passengers (+14.4%)

LCCT - 9.4 million passengers (+25%)

TOTAL - 23.8 million passengers (+20.8%)

Total passengers in 2010 = 34.1 million passengers (+14.8%)

International Market

10 LARGEST AIRLINES IN KLIA

Ranking - Passengers - Market Share%

1. Malaysia Airlines - 7,804,797 - 32.8%

2. AirAsia - 5,924,743 - 24.9%

3. AirAsia X - 1,821,207 - 7.7%

4. Indonesia AirAsia - 961,665 - 4.0%

5. Cathay Pacific Airways - 671,127 - 2.8%

6. Emirates - 648,244 - 2.7%

7. Silk Air - 422,082 - 1.8%

8. KLM - 399,692 - 1.7%

9. Thai Airways - 387,960 - 1.6%

10. Singapore Airlines - 379,094 - 1.6%

So total passengers traffic handled at MTB only (all legacy airlines passengers) are:

= 4.3 million (domestic) + 14.4 million (international)

= 18.7 million passengers

This amount represents 54.8% of total passengers in KUL in 2010.

waiping, spot on - air koryo indeed!

9M-MAR, thank you for your constant calculations and analysis! very insightful

If I pull out the numbers from the statistic thread:

So total passengers traffic handled at MTB only (all legacy airlines passengers) are:

= 4.3 million (domestic) + 14.4 million (international)

= 18.7 million passengers

This amount represents 54.8% of total passengers in KUL in 2010.

Salam MAR,

you are great, you should be PAID for your contribution :pardon: , these 'freebies' would be snapped and be copied/plagiarised/used by other parties.

Any corporate headhunters lurking around? :)

LOL, thanks Arzman. There was an interesting offer before, but it did not materialised. Well, lets hope for the best.

waiping, spot on - air koryo indeed!

9M-MAR, thank you for your constant calculations and analysis! very insightful

:p I hope they stay for awhile now.