MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Wilber Tan

Kuching Intl' Airport (KCH - WBGG) Year 2011

Main reason for the cancellation is because SQ was not permitted to fly daily from the 2wice weekly service.

My understanding was that both SQ's SIN-KCH and SIN-BKI vv were scrapped due to collapse in pax numbers due to either the avain flu pandemic or financial meltdown of the era (apologies, cannot recall history too well)

It was also about the time when Silkair was emerging, so might also have been a good excuse to hive off these to the less glamorous sibling :)

My understanding was that both SQ's SIN-KCH and SIN-BKI vv were scrapped due to collapse in pax numbers due to either the avain flu pandemic or financial meltdown of the era (apologies, cannot recall history too well)

It was also about the time when Silkair was emerging, so might also have been a good excuse to hive off these to the less glamorous sibling :)

main reason was declining in passenger numbers due to the September 11 attack. isnt it?

main reason was declining in passenger numbers due to the September 11 attack. isnt it?

I heard they were breaking even and requested extra slots, which was rejected. I think it happened way before Sept 11. Don't think MI took care of the route immediately after SQ gave up. Just my 2 cents.

SQ's scheduled aircraft is the A310-300. Started on March 1991 and ended December 2001. During peak season (school holidays), it would be upgraded to A340-300E or B777-200.

Main reason for the cancellation is because SQ was not permitted to fly daily from the 2wice weekly service.

Ben Lau?? You are the Ben that I know right? Ben's dad was with SQ in Kuching for the longest time...too bad SQ closed their office in Kuching. Even my aunt was with KA...KA and SQ had their office just a few steps from each other...How are you Ben? I will always remember how you got me interested in planes!!! Take care mate!

SQ's scheduled aircraft is the A310-300. Started on March 1991 and ended December 2001. During peak season (school holidays), it would be upgraded to A340-300E or B777-200.

Thanks for the info. I flew this route with SQ in December 2001.

It's interesting to find out that they considered flying daily.

Edited by jackch747

Hey guys, so sorry to go way out of topic here but can you guys give feedback on some HDR pictures I took? I don't think anyone would respond to that thread for quite some time so I'm using this thread to 'get attention'. Really sorry :p

My link

Nothing interesting, just normal traffic... :pardon:

Nice rego, Papa Kilo Delta Papa Delta

DSC_3988-2.jpg

Came for a short stop to pick up someone and then off to SYD

DSC_3964-2.jpg

It's that time of the year again, Hajj season

DSC_4103-1.jpg

and

DSC_4007.jpg

TBC :lol:

Nothing interesting, just normal traffic... :pardon:

Nice rego, Papa Kilo Delta Papa Delta

DSC_3988-2.jpg

Came for a short stop to pick up someone and then off to SYD

DSC_3964-2.jpg

It's that time of the year again, Hajj season

DSC_4103-1.jpg

and

DSC_4007.jpg

TBC :lol:

Nice catch of the 747 and A330F :good:

Edited by Zamir

The final installment of 9M-MUA-HAHAHAHAHA... B) :p

DSC_4025.jpg

DSC_4049-2.jpg

DSC_4076-2.jpg

Thanks for viewing... :drinks:

Edited by rayner

The only shot i've snapped while waiting for my flight (23/10):

6279381858_baf98d9737_z.jpg

The outcome looks good; It was snapped using my mobile phone.

This Saturday (29 October), three of us from Singapore - Vernon LOH, Jerrold Wu and I - will be making a day-trip to Kuching ... our final attempt to take a flight on a Firefly B737-800 before it is gone. We will be flying :

Tiger Airways TR2494 from SIN-KCH and arriving at 0840hrs.

Firefly FY607 from KCH-KUL departing at 1400hrs and arriving at 1540hrs.

Jetstar Asia 3K690 FROM KUL-SIN departing at 2340hrs and arriving 0040+1

From sometime past 0840hrs till 1400hrs, we hope to squeeze in a bit of photography ... does anyone have any pointers on how we could get about doing this given that we will have to rely on our two legs to get to any spot for photography? There seems to be quite a nice variety of angles to photograph planes landing and taking off and approaching ... this is a first time spotting trip to KCH for all three of us.

KC Sim

This Saturday (29 October), three of us from Singapore - Vernon LOH, Jerrold Wu and I - will be making a day-trip to Kuching ... our final attempt to take a flight on a Firefly B737-800 before it is gone. We will be flying :

Tiger Airways TR2494 from SIN-KCH and arriving at 0840hrs.

Firefly FY607 from KCH-KUL departing at 1400hrs and arriving at 1540hrs.

Jetstar Asia 3K690 FROM KUL-SIN departing at 2340hrs and arriving 0040+1

From sometime past 0840hrs till 1400hrs, we hope to squeeze in a bit of photography ... does anyone have any pointers on how we could get about doing this given that we will have to rely on our two legs to get to any spot for photography? There seems to be quite a nice variety of angles to photograph planes landing and taking off and approaching ... this is a first time spotting trip to KCH for all three of us.

KC Sim

Perhaps our KCH members can help you out;Anyhow,to all 3 of you:

"Selamat datai ka Sarawak" (Welcome to Sarawak) :hi:

Thanks and we have received very kind offer of assistance from Rayner and Kenneth ... and you cannot imagine how excited we are about it.

We are very grateful for the offer and look forward to adding some East Malaysian subjects to our image collection. And it would be great to add a couple more faces to those we have met here in Mwings.

Thanks for the advance welcome Tamizi Hj Thamby. We could feel that warm welcome even before setting off!

KC Sim

I am very excited about this :clapping:

I am pretty much madly in love with Firefly and their 737s.I look forward to meeting the KCH MWingers on this daylong adventure. See you all soon!

Enjoy your day, guys ;)

Hope the weather cooperates... :pardon:

Thanks and we have received very kind offer of assistance from Rayner and Kenneth ... and you cannot imagine how excited we are about it.

We are very grateful for the offer and look forward to adding some East Malaysian subjects to our image collection. And it would be great to add a couple more faces to those we have met here in Mwings.

Thanks for the advance welcome Tamizi Hj Thamby. We could feel that warm welcome even before setting off!

KC Sim

You're most welcome KC; Hope that you will enjoy your stay in Sarawak (and to snap lots of photos as well)!

I am very excited about this :clapping:

I am pretty much madly in love with Firefly and their 737s.I look forward to meeting the KCH MWingers on this daylong adventure. See you all soon!

Don't forget to order Nasi Lemak!

All the best for joining the final moment for Firefly last flight out of KCH; 3 sectors in a day, sounds real cool...looking forward for the coverage...xD...