MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Skidded Off Runway in Kuching - 11 January 2011

TF should appologise to passengers on what happening, not only just tweet on his twitter like this.

“Working hard to remove aircraft. All passengers are home,” Fernandes said in his tweet.

He blamed the rain apparently..just say something like 'hope the passengers are not shaken and am sorry for the incident but it was out of our control'...typical..and dissapointing..

The last time I bought GoInsure, the policy is underwritten by Multi Purpose Insurance - not sure if the same company is still offering the policies. As long as it is covered by the policy T&C, it should not be a problem for passengers to claim. As for other passengers affected by the closure of KCH, I guess they have to check their own insurance policies or they have to take what the airlines can offer to them.

Yup, some of passengers actually not very aware regarding incurance policy. What I'm understanding from the last time happend to me which flight delayed for 2 hours, only if flight delayed more than 6 hours passengers allowed to claim. At least something we can learn and sharing here.

All pax safe does not equal to NO ONE KILLED.

Guys lets be compasionate here.We are talking about peoples life.

Captain did a good job means he brought the a/c to a complete stop without major injuries to pax. Does not mean he is getting promoted.

Sometimes we have to see the lighter side of life. Being serious all the time is not good for the health. I'm sure everyone is thankful that the passengers on the flight got off lightly and this incident didn't turn into something more serious.

Some of the comments made are indeed childish. I expected members of an aviation forum to be more mature when it comes to aviation and incidents like this. This is an example of why I have been not very active any more in MW.

I agree with you Alan.

-meor-

9M-AHH ranked top 5 for A.net today... Should I be proud? :mellow: A bit confused on how should i react.. Great picture though Wilber Tan.. :clapping: I meant the picture alone, not the incident...

Edited by Syukri

Proud of my apprentice.. one that only post top views pics into a.net hahaha :good:

Not sure if this set of sensational photos is widely circulated over the web or not, but I received this from the AK Gossip Division.

General condition of the aircraft

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Close up of the engines and the collapsed front landing gear

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Where the aircraft first veered off the runway and its trail...

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

Looks like a minor slippage off the runway caused this incident.

There seems to be some damages to the engines as well. In the last photo, is that part of the OKU sticker and its panel that fall off to the ground?

Azizul,

These are some super detailed pix! Thanks for sharing them with us! :)

Here is the Flightglobal piece:

An AirAsia Airbus A320 that skidded off the runway while landing at Malaysia's Kuching International Airport last night has been removed from the runway, clearing the way for flights to resume at the airport.

The aircraft was removed at 21:00hr, says AirAsia's group CEO Tony Fernandes.

News reports say heavy rain had made it difficult for workers to move the aircraft, which skidded off the runway last night while landing after a flight from Kuala Lumpur.

Almost all arriving and departing flights were cancelled at the airport today as a result.

Four passengers were sent to the hospital after the incident, but were discharged later on.

AirAsia says it will operate additional flights beginning tonight to clear its backlog of passengers. All AirAsia flights to and from Kuching will operate as per normal tomorrow, it adds.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/01/11/351726/kuching-airport-to-reopen-following-airasia-a320-incident.html

Edited by flee

Azizul,

These are some super detailed pix! Thanks for sharing them with us! :)

No problem flee. It helps to have spies working for you everywhere LOL.

Nice Pix, Azizul.

From the look of the it, the left engine is a toast! Will take some time to repair this bird. Hope insurance co. won't declare it as a write off. but from history most A320 which involved in accident/incident are all scrapped i.e. IB, Vueling, Trans Asia Airways.....

Not sure if this set of sensational photos is widely circulated over the web or not, but I received this from the AK Gossip Division.

Looks like it is the set of 21 pictures that are making their rounds on Facebook.

I think i found one side of a shoe in the mud there.. :yahoo:

Good job by the pilots. Could have been an absolute disaster.

A bit too premature too judge methinks as there are a lot of questions to answer. Just talked an AK pilot friend of mine and he mentioned quite a few interesting stuffs. Hopefully DCA will conduct a thorough investigation so that lesson can be learned no matter how hard TF is trying to downplay the incident.

It will be interesting to know the traffic information during the time of the incident such as if any other traffic had been holding or diverted. There is a general feeling that AK seem to take a bit more risk when landing in bad weather especially during their early days. There were a few incidents that I recalled, BKI and MYY comes to mind but it is also thought that AK has improved safety wise in the past couple of years. Fortunately there was no fatality in this incident and hopefully it will be a warning and lesson to all that landing in bad weather is a very serious matter. Safety must always come before schedule and $$$.

sorry being a bit rude here, if i did. :)

why you only can remember how many incident/accident that AK involved? can you figure out how many safe landings/flights of AK? and calculate out the "statistic". i know that this kind of statistic is not a good method to compare it, but still you can see their performance.

IIRC, they studied how to judge whether land or abort landing on certain types of bad weather. it maybe caused by a sudden strong crosswind that caused the aircraft lost of control, perhaps? no one will know until the report is out, IF someone do it. :)

Some interested news regarding an incident..in Malay paper..

AirAsia tolak bantuan alih pesawat

Oleh Magendran Rajagopal

magendran@bharian.com.my

2011/01/14

Akibat mahu guna kontraktor sendiri KIA ditutup 23 jam

SEPANG: Keputusan AirAsia yang hanya mahu kontraktornya mengalihkan pesawat miliknya yang terbabas dari landasan ketika mendarat di Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuching (KIA) Isnin lalu, antara punca lapangan terbang itu terpaksa ditutup selama 23 jam. Menteri Pengangkutan, Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha, berkata ini menyebabkan kerja mengalihkan pesawat dan pembersihan lewat dilaksanakan. Beliau berkata, selain hujan lebat yang menyukarkan kerja mengalihkan pesawat Airbus A320-200 itu, AirAsia menolak bantuan ditawarkan Malaysia Airport Berhad (MAB) dan syarikat penerbangan lain untuk mempercepatkan kerja pembersihan, sekali gus menyebabkan KIA terpaksa ditutup 23 jam.

“Saya difahamkan, pesawat ini terbabas dan mekanisme pendaratan depan pesawat patah, manakala separuh daripada mekanisme pendaratan belakangnya terbenam dalam lumpur dan memerlukan khidmat pakar serta peralatan khusus bagi mengangkatnya keluar.

“Apabila berlaku kejadian seumpama ini, syarikat bertanggungjawab mengalihkan pesawat dan membersihkan landasan tetapi dalam kes ini, AirAsia mahu gunakan kontraktor sendiri, sedangkan di mana-mana lapangan terbang sekali pun, pihak pengurusan dan syarikat penerbangan lain akan membantu mengalihkan pesawat.

“Ini mungkin antara faktor melewatkan pengalihan pesawat terbabit. Saya sudah arahkan MAB dan Jabatan Penerbangan Awam (DCA) minta penjelasan AirAsia serta menyediakan laporan terperinci,” katanya pada sidang media selepas lawatan ke Akademi Penerbangan Malaysia (MAvA), di sini, semalam.

Source : http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/AirAsiatolakbantuanalihpesawat/Article/index_html

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Some interested news regarding an incident..in Malay paper..

Source : http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/AirAsiatolakbantuanalihpesawat/Article/index_html

RT: @tonyfernandes: Good progress on moving plane. Plane should be cleared in 90 mins. We are trying to ensure everyone who wants to go to kuching will go. Good cooperation from MAB and MAS. Thank you

So AK's own contractor failed to save the aircraft and AK ended up seeking for MH and MAB's help?