MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Skidded Off Runway in Kuching - 11 January 2011

That will be needing at least 30 MH's Boeing 747-400s to ferry them all.

Quick Captain Nik, Dato' TF need your help :rofl:

"RT @tonyfernandes U2. I have spoken to bono many times but he wants to bring whole stage. That's 7 jumbo jets. Cost would be huge."

TF must bring bono and his band U2 now. At least he can fully utilize the 7 jumbo jets. :rofl:

Tony's tweet 2 hours ago:

Good news. Aircraft out of the grass. Airport should be reopen soon. Airasia will mount extra flights to try get everyone home today

about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

List of MH flights cancelled today. 27 flights by MH. http://updates.malaysiaairlines.com/

And the same from the red team. 40 AK flights are cancelled due to the incident. http://www.airasia.com/my/en/latestnews/kuchingflightcancelled.page

In total 67 flights are cancelled!

So possibly (27 x 144 + 40 x 180) = 11,408 passengers are affected by the incident.

Just curious, how about status of first Firefly inaugural flight KUL-KCH on this Saturday due to airport closure?

My guess is that there should be no effect. I am sure that MH (and even AK) might use wide bodies to clear the backlog of pax.

My guess is that there should be no effect. I am sure that MH (and even AK) might use wide bodies to clear the backlog of pax.

Actually KCH still have extra flight using wide-body aircraft unlike BKI where there is hardly any chance to use one. :(

Apparently the airport is still closed at this time. This looks like a major incident, one that deserves its own thread in general aviation.

I don't see any slides. No evacuation necessary?

Please keep the pictures coming.

all emer. evac slides were removed last night itself and all d pics here were taken only today..

I was browsing AK page on FB re:KCH, and spotted this ... so I had a quiet chuckle. :D

"Pek Hong: airasia is collecting money for luggage, seats, etc etc... and the fare aint cheap nowadays too... the services bad! when i flied from sibu to kl last 2 weeks, there was a bad turbulence and one of the pilots sat behind me and slept all the way from sibu to kl... i never know the job of the pilot is to sleep in the plane... wearing sunglasses somemore... you are suppose to handle the plane, not acting cool in the plane and sleep! and this is airasia! value for money, not value for LIFE!"

14 minutes ago

u will see many of them travelling on GD (general declaration) back to their hometown. to qualify they have to be dressed in office attire and they are not the flight crew for that sector

I am quite displeased with many news in this thread. Something which is very common in Malaysia.

- Mainstream newspaper took ages to report an incident of this nature due to 'connection' at the top level. Remember the incident a few months back where a passenger died onboard MH aircraft's toilet because the cabin crew did not check the toilet before they all went home? That news took 5 days to be reported and it was first reported in Facebook.

- AK cabin crew failed to handle the evacuation smoothly. Passengers are allowed to collect their 'iPad' and if the evacuation slides were used, shouldn't shoes be removed before going down the slide?

- The tidbits about the sleeping pilot in shades is just so disturbing (if it is true).

- And the reported MH 2505 that was allowed to take off for 'special' reason. We can clearly see how bad the runway's condition is near the aircraft and how close 9M-AHH to the runway for another aircraft to be allowed to pass beside it in such a tremendous speed. Must be a job by some VIPs. Kalau urgent sangat pegi naik heli ke Sibu then naik flight from therelah. Always bend the rules for their own sake urgh!

evac was done as per trained...pax were made to wait over 1 hour on the rwy no thanks to airport emergency services....blame whom in this case?

During the previous incident in KK, it was pretty much the work of my friends in MH Engineering who got the AK aircraft out of the way so that operations can resume.

The AK crew didn't know what to do. They were at a lost and they did not have the equipment. It was MH who came to the rescue.

In the end Tony crowed that it was all the work of the AK crew. The friend of mine who worked on it is really peeved by it.

Watch this.

dont really depend on hearsays...mas e&m services were only used after 9m-aap was brought into the police hangar...it was the ak guys who roughed it out with nothing to get it out of the ditch...

i'm also no expert on aircraft operation, is there any possibility due to technical or parts fatigue problem at the nose gear as Air Asia always using PIPO for quick turn-around at LCCT?

definitely not...the landing gear is also another llp (life limited part)...meaning it has life...and it must be changed or serived or lubricated whenever it is due....goes back a lot about legislation...low cost doesnt mean low cost in everything...you dont comply, you lose your aoc.

anyhow, 2 flights from kul already depart a while ago to kch and 3 more to come tonight...earliest for mh is tomorrow. :help:

Chances are, the OKU sticker on 9M-AHH will be removed - bad luck.

Perhaps that is why the engines are already draped with red blankets

Even the 'Air Asia' on fuselage still remain visible :D

(ok lah, more likely it's because the engines more easily damaged by debris) :)

anyhow, 2 flights from kul already depart a while ago to kch and 3 more to come tonight...earliest for mh is tomorrow. :help:

Welcome to MW

That was too irresistible eh ? Corporate culture is strong and kicking I see :D

There will be 2 mike romeos send to KIA by MH tomorrow.

MH5210 STD 1140lt on Romeo Golf

MH5228 STD 1500lt on Romeo Papa

Edited by airsiders

List of MH flights cancelled today. 27 flights by MH. http://updates.malaysiaairlines.com/

And the same from the red team. 40 AK flights are cancelled due to the incident. http://www.airasia.com/my/en/latestnews/kuchingflightcancelled.page

So possibly (27 x 144 + 40 x 180) = 11,408 passengers are affected by the incident.

not forgetting Maswings,Batavia,Silkair & Tiger...

..and this blardey Tiger wont be sending rescue flight while Silkair is expected to send MI642D tomorrow Wed..all 113 of today' s TR pax will be moved to tomorrow..& Wed load is 109.

way to go!! :finger: :finger: :angry: :angry:

Chances are, the OKU sticker on 9M-AHH will be removed - bad luck.

So sad.. 9M-AHH comes to Kch for second time of the day and will serving the last flight back to KUL showing he was tired running since early morning.

KUL-PEN-KUL-BKI-KUL-KCH-KUL-KCH..

Thanks for the info airsiders and welcome to the forum. It seems that we have quite a few new members caused by this incident and all seemed to be working in the industry. Do share with us more of the inside news regularly, MalaysianWings always hungry for that. *wink*

Perhaps that is why the engines are already draped with red blankets

Even the 'Air Asia' on fuselage still remain visible

I think so too LOL!

not forgetting Maswings,Batavia,Silkair & Tiger...

..and this blardey Tiger wont be sending rescue flight while Silkair is expected to send MI642D tomorrow Wed..all 113 of today' s TR pax will be moved to tomorrow..& Wed load is 109. way to go!!

Be prepared for a Tiger show in front of their check-in counters tomorrow. 222 passengers will fight for 180 seats... who'll be the unlucky 42? Kita tunggu LOL.

dont really depend on hearsays...mas e&m services were only used after 9m-aap was brought into the police hangar...it was the ak guys who roughed it out with nothing to get it out of the ditch...

I dont think hearing it from the guy who actually did the work is hear say.

Do you really think ALL flights were fully booked ? :pardon:

TF's original tweet

RT: @tonyfernandes: "

"No overshoot or crash in kuching". = aircraft didn't burst into a ball of flames

"On landing due to rain aircraft veered to the right and ended in grass." = aircraft skidded out of control off the runway and fortunately ended up in soft ground without hitting anything (AK will now cancel all flights if its raining)

"Captain did good job." - Really? Promotion coming his way then?

"All passengers safe" = no one killed

" and aircraft being recovered and towed." = Lots of people scratching heads wondering what to do

" Will take a while due to soft soil." - TF wasn't wrong on that one

"Try to get airport reopen by tomorrow morning." - but should have added "as long as MAS helps us"

Geoff

TF's original tweet

RT: @tonyfernandes: "

"No overshoot or crash in kuching". = aircraft didn't burst into a ball of flames

"Captain did good job." - Really? Promotion coming his way then?

"All passengers safe" = no one killed

"Try to get airport reopen by tomorrow morning." - but should have added "as long as MAS helps us"

Geoff

All pax safe does not equal to NO ONE KILLED.

Guys lets be compasionate here.We are talking about peoples life.

Captain did a good job means he brought the a/c to a complete stop without major injuries to pax. Does not mean he is getting promoted.

:rofl:

Good one Geoff !

iirc, there was a dedicated yuck speak thread here once - may be a chore to try it it out again though

Just to share. Because of this incident, a few Operations in Kuching General Hospital have to be postpone because they can't fly in the implants from KL.

Some of the comments made are indeed childish. I expected members of an aviation forum to be more mature when it comes to aviation and incidents like this. This is an example of why I have been not very active any more in MW.

I would like to see how AirAsia GoInsure worked out an insurance claims by victims/passengers involved. :D

The last time I bought GoInsure, the policy is underwritten by Multi Purpose Insurance - not sure if the same company is still offering the policies. As long as it is covered by the policy T&C, it should not be a problem for passengers to claim. As for other passengers affected by the closure of KCH, I guess they have to check their own insurance policies or they have to take what the airlines can offer to them.