MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Skidded Off Runway in Kuching - 11 January 2011

My friend said, the left wing seems in damage, or broken based on the photo...can any of you guys notice that??? I can't apparently...Is he right and i didnt look the photo carefully?

This plane looks severely damaged. I guess it is up to the insurance company to determine if it is to be repaired or written off.

If this were to happen to QUANTAS.. they'd fixed it regardless of the figures stated in the bill hahahaha :p

I think it is repairable/fixable.. :good:

During the previous incident in KK, it was pretty much the work of my friends in MH Engineering who got the AK aircraft out of the way so that operations can resume.

The AK crew didn't know what to do. They were at a lost and they did not have the equipment. It was MH who came to the rescue.

In the end Tony crowed that it was all the work of the AK crew. The friend of mine who worked on it is really peeved by it.

Watch this.

According to the info I have, MH2505 the 7.30 flight from Kuching was cancelled. In fact the only scheduled flights for MH are MH2515 - 2.05 pm & MH2597 - 8.00 pm. All KCH-KUL flights.

If I am not mistaken 2505 did take off; I suppose from intersection Alfa 2 thereby avoiding the stranded bus

i'm also no expert on aircraft operation, is there any possibility due to technical or parts fatigue problem at the nose gear as Air Asia always using PIPO for quick turn-around at LCCT?

This from my cousin pics...

164024_1391828374335_1790910872_779640_1757849_n.jpg

164698_1391828574340_1790910872_779642_7765914_n.jpg

thanks for the photos.

Judging from the two pics above, one can see the Four Point Sheraton Hotel and the new section of the parallel taxiway (the one with the barriers - red and white). It means that the incident happened at the new portion of the extended runway. I'm very sure the old section of the runway are grooved, how about the new section (extended)? Grooved runways will minimize aquaplaning. Just curious.

latest update: they're in the process of lifting the front section using 2 cranes..and its still raining..

i dont think it will be finished in 90mins

It will be interesting to know the traffic information during the time of the incident such as if any other traffic had been holding or diverted. There is a general feeling that AK seem to take a bit more risk when landing in bad weather especially during their early days. There were a few incidents that I recalled, BKI and MYY comes to mind but it is also thought that AK has improved safety wise in the past couple of years. Fortunately there was no fatality in this incident and hopefully it will be a warning and lesson to all that landing in bad weather is a very serious matter. Safety must always come before schedule and $$$.

Side track a bit:

My mom was suppose to take AK6034/11JAN KCH-BKI

This is what happen between me and AK chk in staff (in KCH) phone conversation:

AK chk in staff: Your mom don't have booking and her booking is on 25DEc....blah blah (with her loud voice)

Me: Listen to me, can I give you ....(before I can finish)

AK chk in staff: No, you listen to me. YOUR MON DON'T HAVE BOOKING........BLAH BLAH BLAH (louder voice)

Me: (Listen and let her finish) Can I give you her new booking number?

AK chk in staff: What is it?

Me: EP9MKX

AK chk in staff: Next time give me the booking number.

(she hang up the phone without let me to talk to my mom)

To add thing worse, she is borrowing a phone from a pax next to her.

Now every can fly and everyone get fired from AK too!!!

I dont see any groove runways there.. i think Kch airport runways is ungrooved <_>

Edited by Ignatius

It is reportedly kch runways are grooved type runways.. but from the photo given , i cant see it!!?? where's the groove at all? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blink.png" alt=":blink:">

..so it means that the new extended section grooveless lah..the old runway section confirm got groove

..so it means that the new extended section grooveless lah..the old runway section confirm got groove

Nick, unless my eyes are not as good, i cant see the grooves on the pics given.. but wait a minute.. according to Kuching Intl Airport , it is grooved asphalt. Maybe they are referring to the old portion? I have a bad feeling it isn't grooved at all on the new extended portion especially after they resurface it due to complaints during the initial operating days of the new extended runway :blink: :blink:

Nick, unless my eyes are not as good, i cant see the grooves on the pics given.. but wait a minute.. according to Kuching Intl Airport , it is grooved asphalt. Maybe they are referring to the old portion? I have a bad feeling it isn't grooved at all on the new extended portion especially after they resurface it due to complaints during the initial operating days of the new extended runway :blink: :blink:

Thats what I thought too. But usually the runways are grooved on the main carriageway and not the shoulder part (the photo shows the shoulder part only, 7.5m each side). Even if its groove, it might suggest that the surface are not even which have created water ponding.

Aha! We can now easily blame this incident to the company who did the runway extension works at KCH. Do you think a probe will be conducted into this? Who's the VIP behind the company that did the runway extension work? Is he 'untouchable'?

If it were due to aquaplanning, because it was ungrooved after the resurfacing work of the extended runway ho ho ho.. Global Upline may be renamed Global Downthedrain. TF will be launching lawsuits before TPK can even blink his eyes :p But we must not at this stage come to any conclusion harshly ;)

Originally it can be grooved/non-grooved but as time goes by maybe due to unforeseen circumstances due to lack of research or lack of funding due to purchase of whatever then it may not groove/non-groove. It happen everywhere.

i wondered if the emergency slides did deploy? cant see evidence of any deployment there.. , although it seems very low to just jump off the plane <_>

164024_1391828374335_1790910872_779640_1757849_n.jpg

Deployed...see the storage compartment just above the wing, missing a panel, 320 overwings slides are stored there....

RT: @tonyfernandes: Good progress on moving plane. Plane should be cleared in 90 mins. We are trying to ensure everyone who wants to go to kuching will go. Good cooperation from MAB and MAS. Thank you

Ahhh ... much better tweet.

Was at the new road leading up to the runway...plane is still there...a 734 was allowed to land...cranes were used to lift the plane onto trucks, just like the 73F last time....

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

List of MH flights cancelled today. 27 flights by MH. http://updates.malaysiaairlines.com/

And the same from the red team. 40 AK flights are cancelled due to the incident. http://www.airasia.com/my/en/latestnews/kuchingflightcancelled.page

In total 67 flights are cancelled!

So possibly (27 x 144 + 40 x 180) = 11,408 passengers are affected by the incident.

That will be needing at least 30 MH's Boeing 747-400s to ferry them all.