MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Skidded Off Runway in Kuching - 11 January 2011

i wondered if the emergency slides did deploy? cant see evidence of any deployment there.. , although it seems very low to just jump off the plane <_>

“As we were seated in front, my wife and I were among the first to get off the plane. In fact my wife went out after me. I had to save the iPad."

Smart man, iPad must be saved at all costs!

===

Aircraft skids on KIA runway

Posted on January 11, 2011, Tuesday

KUCHING: Passengers of an AirAsia flight last night (Monday night) experienced a rude shock when the aircraft skidded on the Kuching International Airport runway upon landing.

The incident happened around 10.15pm during a heavy downpour.

Initially, sources said four of the over 100 passengers were unwell. Some of those involved are said to suffer from asthma and heart problems, but the seriousness of their conditions could not be established.

Ambulances were, however, seen rushing to KIA to attend to passengers.

After the plane stopped moving, passengers said a flight attendant instructed them to calm down.

At some point smoke became visible inside the plane, leading to the opening of exit doors and activation of emergency slides.

The Borneo Post received a call from Balai Ringin assemblyman Snowdan Lawan, who was on the plane with his wife Melinda Claudia, regarding the incident around 10.30pm.

He said the first thing he grabbed was his iPad as it contained important documents.

“As we were seated in front, my wife and I were among the first to get off the plane. In fact my wife went out after me. I had to save the iPad,” he said.

Snowdan, who is Parti Rakyat Sarawak (PRS) deputy secretary, said he travels regularly and had never had such a bad experience before.

He even lost his shoes in the mud. He and several others had to walk barefooted to the fire and rescue centre where they received attention from airport staff.

Snowdan said there were several children on the plane and most passengers were badly shaken by the ordeal.

He said it was possible the plane’s front tyre might have been damaged because he felt the plane was tilted at the front.

Around 11.30pm at the airport lobby, relatives and friends of the passengers as well as members of the media were seen waiting for news.

The flight had taken off from Kuala Lumpur around 7.40pm.

Prior to the incident, Snowdan said he had a premonition something bad was going to happen.

The first sign, he said, was when a disco ball dropped on the stage of the Anugerah Juara Lagu concert in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday night.

The second was when a child started crying in the plane a few minutes before landing.

He said there was turbulence during the flight, probably because of the heavy rain.

“Fortunately, there was no report of fatality. However, most of us passengers were shaken,” he said, jokingly adding that there would not be a by-election because he had survived.

Meanwhile, a few AirAsia flights were reportedly cancelled today (Tuesday).

A regular traveller said no reason was given for the cancellations.

“If it was not because of last night’s incident, then it should be due to the heavy rain today,” he said.

http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=86109

Actually it does not look like there were any emergency vehicles surrounding the plane either! No fire trucks and no emergency chutes. A real low cost "emergency"! ;)

Actually it does not look like there were any emergency vehicles surrounding the plane either! No fire trucks and no emergency chutes. A real low cost "emergency"! ;)

To be fair, the pics were taken the day after obviously.

To be fair, the pics were taken the day after obviously.

yes, incident happened 10.15pm last night.

yes, incident happened 10.15pm last night.

Hence my thoughts on why it took 12-14 hrs for the media to pick it up.

OK these photos show the aftermath... :) Good to know that there were no fatalities. I wonder if the plane is going to be repaired or written off? If repaired, here is another excuse for a new paint job! :)

Hence my thoughts on why it took 12-14 hrs for the media to pick it up.

I don't think the media has many journalists in Kuching. So everyone is relying on Bernama!

OK these photos show the aftermath... smile.gif Good to know that there were no fatalities. I wonder if the plane is going to be repaired or written off? If repaired, here is another excuse for a new paint job! smile.gif

I don't think the media has many journalists in Kuching. So everyone is relying on Bernama!

I think you are right about relying on Bernama.

Looks lke everybody had a lucky escape :)

I am no a320 expert here, but i seem to notice in photo 1 & 5, showing panels missing from fuselage where the wings connect to the fuselage. I assume those house the emergency slides?, or was the result of the crash landing? Engines seems to have scooped up some soil, and nose gear seems damage pretty badly. I think she's going to need engine replacements and also the nose gear.. She might be grounded for a looong long time.. :rolleyes:

Well one reason why the media took such a long time to respond to this incident is because they were comfortably snug in their beds when it happened? heavy rain, strong wind equals super nice sleeps..everything can wait till morning :p hahaha..

Edited by Ignatius

I was browsing AK page on FB re:KCH, and spotted this ... so I had a quiet chuckle. :D

"Pek Hong: airasia is collecting money for luggage, seats, etc etc... and the fare aint cheap nowadays too... the services bad! when i flied from sibu to kl last 2 weeks, there was a bad turbulence and one of the pilots sat behind me and slept all the way from sibu to kl... i never know the job of the pilot is to sleep in the plane... wearing sunglasses somemore... you are suppose to handle the plane, not acting cool in the plane and sleep! and this is airasia! value for money, not value for LIFE!"

14 minutes ago

AK must have managed to get Airbus to customise its A320s....cockpit located behind pax cabin, and full auto capabilities so that pilot can doze off!

And AK obtained special dispensation from DCA for its pilots to wear cool shades.

This poor pax probably didnt pay for the good-weather add-on fee, hence the turbulence suffered. AK should make this fee more obvious on its website so that pax can opt to enjoy a much more pleasant flight.

This accident is exactly like what happen in BKI .

http://mymalaysia.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/air-asia-plane-crash/

How similar is this latest incident to the 732 landing accident many months back at KCH? The 732 was a write-off...

RT: @tonyfernandes: U2. I have spoken to bono many times but he wants to bring whole stage. That's 7 jumbo jets. Cost would be huge.

And the boss is more concerned with his music than his stricken plane in Kuching and countless suffering 'guests'.

“..... All passengers are home,” Fernandes said in his tweet.

Not those pax stranded elsewhere cause they cannot fly into KCH, plus those pax stuck in Kuching cause they cannot fly out from KCH :D

But there was MH2505 allowed to depart at 07:30 apparently, must have been very very important flight :p

Edited by BC Tam

My friend said, the left wing seems in damage, or broken based on the photo...can any of you guys notice that??? I can't apparently...Is he right and i didnt look the photo carefully?

I am quite displeased with many news in this thread. Something which is very common in Malaysia.

- Mainstream newspaper took ages to report an incident of this nature due to 'connection' at the top level. Remember the incident a few months back where a passenger died onboard MH aircraft's toilet because the cabin crew did not check the toilet before they all went home? That news took 5 days to be reported and it was first reported in Facebook.

- AK cabin crew failed to handle the evacuation smoothly. Passengers are allowed to collect their 'iPad' and if the evacuation slides were used, shouldn't shoes be removed before going down the slide?

- The tidbits about the sleeping pilot in shades is just so disturbing (if it is true).

- And the reported MH 2505 that was allowed to take off for 'special' reason. We can clearly see how bad the runway's condition is near the aircraft and how close 9M-AHH to the runway for another aircraft to be allowed to pass beside it in such a tremendous speed. Must be a job by some VIPs. Kalau urgent sangat pegi naik heli ke Sibu then naik flight from therelah. Always bend the rules for their own sake urgh!

RT: @tonyfernandes: Good progress on moving plane. Plane should be cleared in 90 mins. We are trying to ensure everyone who wants to go to kuching will go. Good cooperation from MAB and MAS. Thank you

Ahhh ... much better tweet.

- The tidbits about the sleeping pilot in shades is just so disturbing (if it is true).

Discount this one lah, just an ignorant pax whining.

if the evacuation slides were used, shouldn't shoes be removed before going down the slide?

High heel shoes is advised to take off as sharp points located behind the shoe may damage the escape slides, plus enable evacuation without any difficulties, e.g falling down due to instability. So, normal wear of shoes with flat surface doesn't affect a lot. :p

Edited by Michael Chai

- Mainstream newspaper took ages to report an incident of this nature due to 'connection' at the top level. Remember the incident a few months back where a passenger died onboard MH aircraft's toilet because the cabin crew did not check the toilet before they all went home? That news took 5 days to be reported and it was first reported in Facebook.

What happen? Didn't know about that.

RT: @tonyfernandes: ..... Good cooperation from MAB and MAS. Thank you

Unlikely he has seen their bills yet :p

But still nice to see the civility when circumstances dictate

- And the reported MH 2505 that was allowed to take off for 'special' reason. We can clearly see how bad the runway's condition is near the aircraft and how close 9M-AHH to the runway for another aircraft to be allowed to pass beside it in such a tremendous speed. Must be a job by some VIPs. Kalau urgent sangat pegi naik heli ke Sibu then naik flight from therelah. Always bend the rules for their own sake urgh!

According to the info I have, MH2505 the 7.30 flight from Kuching was cancelled. In fact the only scheduled flights for MH are MH2515 - 2.05 pm & MH2597 - 8.00 pm. All KCH-KUL flights.

expect alot of flights in and out of kch once airport had the green light to operate again.. :clapping: