MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Skidded Off Runway in Kuching - 11 January 2011

RT: @tonyfernandes: No overshoot or crash in kuching. On landing due to rain aircarft veered to the right and ended in grass. Captain did good job. All passangers safe and aircraft being recovered and towed. Will take a while due to soft soil. Try to get airport reopen by tomorrow morning.

http://tmi.me/5i9Fn

TF.jpg

Edited by Naim

Doc,

See also Observation Hill - Kuching; Kenneth reporting there...

It's been raining here in Sarawak since yesterday afternoon;perhaps that's the cause of the incident.

Is it me or are the media ignoring this?

Its looks pretty bad to me with front uc gone or sunk into the ground

Edited by Robert

Apparently the airport is still closed at this time. This looks like a major incident, one that deserves its own thread in general aviation.

I don't see any slides. No evacuation necessary?

Please keep the pictures coming.

Is it me or are the media ignoring this?

Its looks pretty bad to me with front uc gone or sunk into the ground

I saw reports on Bernama and Borneo Post, think the rest should come along

Edited by Walter Sim

I saw reports on Bernama and Borneo Post, think the rest should come along

The media are very slow today. The Quantas A380 incident was on the news within minutes

Here from Bernama reports in Malay.

Pesawat AirAsia terbabas ketika mendarat di KIA

11/01/2011 10:11am

KUCHING 11 Jan. - Sebuah pesawat milik syarikat penerbangan tambang murah AirAsia terbabas ke tepi landasan ketika mendarat dalam keadaan hujan lebat di Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuching (KIA) malam tadi.

Bernama difahamkan, empat orang dari pesawat AK5218 yang tiba dari Kuala Lumpur itu digegaskan ke Hospital Umum Sarawak, dipercayai mengalami cedera ringan.

Kejadian dipercayai berlaku kira-kira pukul 10.20 malam dan jumlah mereka yang berada dalam pesawat itu belum dapat disahkan.

Ketua Pengarah Jabatan Penerbangan Awam (DCA), Datuk Azharuddin A.Rahman ketika dihubungi Bernama hari ini mengesahkan kejadian.

Beliau berkata, pihaknya telah pun menghantar pegawai bersama jurutera AirAsia untuk siasatan lanjut punca kejadian.

"Tunggu kenyataan daripada Menteri Pengangkutan hari ini kepada pihak media,” katanya yang enggan mengulas lanjut. - Bernama

Here report from The Borneo Post : http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=86109

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

maybe because news were controlled by these people as well? Non appear on the star.. so far local newspaper does report them, but fairly brief <_>

Bernama has a story:

===

January 11, 2011 10:57 AM

Airasia Plane Skids Off Runway In Kuching

KUCHING, Jan 11 (Bernama) -- An AirAsia aircraft from Kuala Lumpur skidded off the runway as it landed here during heavy rain last night, slightly injuring four passengers.

A passenger, Balai Ringin Assemblyman Snowdan Lawan, said the plane veered sharply to the left and right after it touched down at 10.20pm and then skidded off the runway onto soft ground.

"I was not sure at which section of the runway it skidded as it was raining and dark. When I alighted from the plane, I noticed that the nose-wheel tyre seemed to have been damaged," he told reporters.

Flight AK5218 of the budget airline had originated from the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Kuala Lumpur.

It is learnt that the four injured passengers were sent to the Sarawak General Hospital for treatment.

Department of Civil Aviation Director-General Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, when contacted, said the department had been notified of the mishap and it had sent its officers, along with AirAsia engineers, to investigate.

He declined to comment further, saying it was understood that the transport minister would issue a press statement on the matter today.

Up to early Tuesday, Bernama was unable to verify from the AirAsia representative at the airport here on the number of passengers who were on the flight.

-- BERNAMA

http://bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=555638

maybe because news were controlled by these people as well? Non appear on the star.. so far local newspaper does report them, but fairly brief <_>

Out in The Star

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/1/11/nation/20110111112517&sec=nation

And looks like the front gear has collapsed. :sorry: :sorry:

Edited by Walter Sim

Quoted from the Staronline

AirAsia plane skids at Kuching airport.

By SHAUN HO

KUALA LUMPUR: An AirAsia flight to Kuching skidded off the runway on Monday night and landed on the grass verge leaving four passengers with minor injuries.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said flight AK5218, which is an Airbus A320, was carrying 124 passengers and six crew members.

“The plane was landing during a downpour and that is when it skidded,” he said.

Kong said the plane had landed on soft soil on the verge of the runway. AirAsia and Kuching International Airport staff have been working to remove the plane for checks.

As a result of the incident, services at the airport was disrupted, with up to 11 flights to the Kuching International Airport affected.

“I expect services at the airport to resume by noon,” he said after opening the National Maritime Conference in Kuala Lumpur.

AirAsia Group Chief Executive Datuk Tony Fernandes tweeted the incident and said that his staff were working to remove the plane.

“Working hard to remove aircraft. All passengers are home,” Fernandes said in his tweet.

Taken from theStaronline

The flight that skidded off yday, blocking all traffic & shut down KCH Airport.

AirAsia - Now Everyone Can't Fly.

By Kenny Sia

TF should appologise to passengers on what happening, not only just tweet on his twitter like this.

“Working hard to remove aircraft. All passengers are home,” Fernandes said in his tweet.

TF should appologise to passengers on what happening, not only just tweet on his twitter like this.

Tweets are informal pieces of communication. I am sure their PR department is going to make a media release in due course, when all the facts are known.

It does look like the aircraft aquaplaned off the runway on landing.

It is fortunate that this is not a major incident. Iran Air aircraft crashed in bad weather!

I was browsing AK page on FB re:KCH, and spotted this ... so I had a quiet chuckle. :D

"Pek Hong: airasia is collecting money for luggage, seats, etc etc... and the fare aint cheap nowadays too... the services bad! when i flied from sibu to kl last 2 weeks, there was a bad turbulence and one of the pilots sat behind me and slept all the way from sibu to kl... i never know the job of the pilot is to sleep in the plane... wearing sunglasses somemore... you are suppose to handle the plane, not acting cool in the plane and sleep! and this is airasia! value for money, not value for LIFE!"

14 minutes ago

I was browsing AK page on FB re:KCH, and spotted this ... so I had a quiet chuckle. :D

"Pek Hong: airasia is collecting money for luggage, seats, etc etc... and the fare aint cheap nowadays too... the services bad! when i flied from sibu to kl last 2 weeks, there was a bad turbulence and one of the pilots sat behind me and slept all the way from sibu to kl... i never know the job of the pilot is to sleep in the plane... wearing sunglasses somemore... you are suppose to handle the plane, not acting cool in the plane and sleep! and this is airasia! value for money, not value for LIFE!"

14 minutes ago

:rofl: Sometimes ignorant people are really funny.

Got info that rescue team from KLIA flew to Kuching through Sibu this morning.

Reported that the aircraft is in pretty bad condition where the whole nose gear were gone. Currently they're going to dig new track and get the aircraft out of the runway mud.

This accident is exactly like what happen in BKI .

http://mymalaysia.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/air-asia-plane-crash/

Edited by Liew Hon Kit