MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Loh Wilson

Penang Airport 2011

First spotting session from 2011, we have Yong in town with us. Using a calculator today because I sent my telelens for service.

We have 3 Fedex today, two MD-11F and one A310F. However did not see Air Hong Kong(DHL) or UPS

P1020754s800.jpg

Only today I found Wings has changed their equipment to an ATR

P1020792s800.jpg

Some good news to update, now you can spot without a ladder at the bus stop by standing on the rock or even spot in front of the crash gate itself. Another alternative, you can learn from Yusoff by balancing himself to stand on the water pipe

P1020727s800.jpg

Yusoff also climbed on top the tong sampah to get better shots :p Oh wait, if you don't know, he could even stand on his motorbike :rofl:

P1020777s800.jpg

Gosh, imagine the skills we all need to acquire in order to continue to enjoy our hobby. :(

Great shot Wilson. You could take good pictures even with your calculator. Got good weather too as i was there almost 2 weeks ago were gloomy.

Have u seen at the "toilet" for the bus driver. There is a 3 story storage box where i used to climb up and spot near the water pipe.

Loh Wilson, good to see you are back in spotting and started for PEN in 2011. :drinks:

Useful info too for any future spotters in PEN. :good:

Wonder why the "creative" way of connecting the water pipe there ? :nea:

Yusoff also climbed on top the tong sampah to get better shots :p Oh wait, if you don't know, he could even stand on his motorbike :rofl:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/wilson88/PEN%20Spotting/P1020777s800.jpg

:lol: I missed that motorbike.

FYI, the tong sampah [dumpster] is clean as they use it to dump papers for recycle...

See the water tank at the back? Yong even suggested to climb on it. I said later we need to run very fast. Why, he asked. Because the water tank already terbalik [toppled] because both of us badan 'sedikit' besar ['a bit' heavy built]... :D :D

Wonder why the "creative" way of connecting the water pipe there ? :nea:

Further inside, there's a fire hydrant thingy, probably used by the bomba for training or some other water usage. So to read the meter (there's a gauge on the pipe), it is conveniently placed outside by the huge pipe. My guess... :unknw:

Wow... 'bus stop' location has become very strategic...

how's the 'welcoming committee (aka bulis)' now?

Good shot LW... :clapping:

Not really Norman. Right behind the sign board where the pipe is, they put a big cabin, complete with roofing. You either need to be tall (even by standing on the rock) or bring your own ladder (into someone's properties).... or some balancing act... ;)

As for the bulis, only one passed by this time... but we still hide the ladder when there's no plane.

Edited by Yusoff

The plane that I really want to nail in PEN... that CX Cargo.. B)

LW... on my Mac ... the yellow saturation a bit over,

probably can tone down a bit, as well as tone down the cyan a bit..

Thanks for the feedback. I was really confused with the colour by comparing with my mac and my other M$ computers :p

Only the Fedex MD-11 and Wings ATR72 were taken with my dad's Lumix, the rest from my Sony Alpha. I was told that my tele-lens could not be serviced because the oil have corroded the lens coating :(

Some update to other RWY04 morning spots, sand mining area is now completely inaccessible. Moo Moo spot is a goner as well, both spot now are now covered by tall lalang-lalang (need some help in the translation to english please :sorry: ) Just beside the Moo Moo spot is the tractor/crane maintenance facility, you can snap from there but it is a private property. This spot should able to get RWY04 touchdown but it is quite some distance away, not an ideal spot to me.

Further down the perimeter road which near to Dell, there is a spot for catching the Jumbo on rotation. The CX Cargo above was taken from this spot, It will be better if you have a ladder to clear to fence else just panjat[climb] on your kereta or motorbike :p You can hide under the tree when there is no traffic but the river nearby have some bearable smell.

LW,

Thanks for kicking PEN off in 2011! Very nice catches you have there.

Hardcore spotters will overcome whatever problems there are. Maybe it is time to spot in "hides" (just like wildlife film makers) so that the bulis don't see u! ;)

Sorry to hear about your lens problems. Now you have an excuse to get a new lens! :)

Translation - Lalang is equivalent to lavender, minus the sweet sweet smell.

Here's my share while spotting with Yong and Wilson.

Saturday 8th - The Bus Stop:

N606FE. 1st Fedex of the day. 'Charles & Teresa'

P1060230.jpg

B-6187

P1060231.jpg

PK-CKA 'Kasih'. Dog on runway!!

P1060259.jpg

N608FE 'Colton'. The 2nd Fedex, 30 minutes later.

P1060262.jpg

HL-7482

P1060282.jpg

9V-TAS

P1060289.jpg

EVAaaaa.... B-16406

P1060297.jpg

9M-FYB. She was at the apron since I arrived at 8-something, and not to depart until 10.35am

P1060300.jpg

An hour later, a 3rd Fedex! N805FD.

P1060308.jpg

Sunday 9th - The Beach

9M-AFZ, the last of the F series.

P1060355.jpg

B-LDA

P1060370.jpg

Yong's JAL :D

P1060373.jpg

9M-MLE

P1060382.jpg

N454UP. Unexpectedly!

P1060390-1.jpg

Star of the day, B-HUS

P1060398.jpg

The moo moo at the Moo Moo spot :D

P1060404.jpg

Thanks for viewing. Cheers! :drinks:

Edited by Yusoff

Beach spot not bad for taking photos !!!

How many mm needed from there ? :huh:

70-200mm is more than enough for beach spot. I like that spot, we can sit under a shade, enjoy the sea breeze and eating peanuts while waiting for the aircraft to arrive.

Very nice Yusoff, I did not know each Fedex plane got a name.

70-200mm is more than enough for beach spot. I like that spot, we can sit under a shade, enjoy the sea breeze and eating peanuts while waiting for the aircraft to arrive.

Very nice Yusoff, I did not know each Fedex plane got a name.

I surprised to see that too... but I couldn't manage to get the portside head shot of the A310 to get its name though... :(

Tempting, huh?... wanna spot at PEN? :p

I didn't go spotting on Monday. Something came up. Flightstats ahh? selalu tipu sikit... :p :D [lied a bit]