MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Loh Wilson

Penang Airport 2011

Hi all,

I'm Tek from BKK

Now I'm in Penang looking for places for spotting. Could you recommend a location for afternoon if RWY22 in use?

Thanks

Hi Tek, very sorry the reply is few days late. Usually we spot from someone's house compound.

link to google maps

Click on the link and switch to satellite view. It is a small road beside Engineering Department building. You need at least a 4 step ladder to clear the double fencing.

How is the upgrading of the terminal? Any news?

Still ongoing......n as the day goes by, the arrival n departure area (now combined into 1) gets more and more confusing, dirty, dusty and at times look like Puduraya duing rush hour

10April113.jpg

Caught Korean Air Cargo landing while waiting for my CX flight to take-off. Pix was taken in April 2011.

Edited by Raymund Yeoh

HEADS-UP FOR PENANG SPOTTERS

Air Hongkong's only B747-444BCF B-HUS is heading your way this afternoon to conduct crew training as LD095. It will depart Singapore at 1300hrs and return to Singapore at 2000hrs.

Hope someone gets it doing its multiple touch-n-go.

KC Sim

Many thanks for the heads-up. Managed to get down in time despite driving through very heavy rain in the Green Lane area. Weather at the airport was cloudy but dry.

Spotted the B744 on approach at 14.20. it did a full-stop landing off that approach and then sat on the taxyway for about 25 minutes before starting the first session of touch & gos.

Managed a few shots.

5814805872_96e145e18e_z.jpg

20110609-IMG_4104 by Janner88, on Flickr

5814237533_967c8a5df9_z.jpg

20110609-IMG_4110 by Janner88, on Flickr

5814806810_9740126999_z.jpg

20110609-IMG_4160 by Janner88, on Flickr

5814238425_ed86bce1f0_z.jpg

20110609-IMG_4164 by Janner88, on Flickr

Good News!!! The same Air Hongkong B744BCF is again headed to Penang tomorrow (10 June) departing Singapore at 1030hrs and returning to Singapore at 1730hrs. This means it is spending a longer time in Penang doing many touch-n-gos.

Wish you better luck with weather and more chances to get good action shots.

KC Sim

Laurie,

Great shots of the 747 !!!

Wish they would operate into AMS... :pardon:

Departed SIN at 1047hrs and so should be over Penang in less than half an hour. Good luck and hope to see some great pictures soon.

KC Sim

My house seems to be right under the flight path for planes taking off and heading north... Usually at 8pm I can hear the magnificent sound of the 747 flying over directly. :good:

Found this video of the new upgraded terminal of Penang International Airport. Sorry a slight off topic but cant find a suitable place to put this.

Seems like Malaysia Airports Berhad has expectation of a major Air France presence at Penang Airport in the near future. Since this video was uploaded in May 2011, I wish they had taken the additional trouble to update the MAS livery depicted - not doing so immediately makes the video dated.

And that MAS A380 seems to be taking off rather close to the terminal building ... nice and sleek video though.

KC Sim

PEN - upcoming AF SE Asia hub ! :p

Can you believe it ? Two AK birds with aerobridges attached, at a domestic airport - must be some occasion worthy for them to break the bank in such (wanton) manner :p

Btw, those two MH A343's - wet leased from AK or some transitional arrangement resulting from AK/MH merger ? :lol:

'Diraja One' expected to arrive PEN this Friday between 1045-1100, departs to TGG the next day around 1615. Subject to change.

Fokker-70 (9H-AFS) expected to arrive PEN either tonight or tomorrow. Callsign: SXI 1028

SC.jpg

Edited by MIR

Where on earth is NAG ?

Sounds likely a place where all wifes originate from :p

Nagpur, central India.

Edited by MIR

Virgin Australia's first ATR-72(VH-FVH),has begun its delivery flight from Toulouse today. Rumoured that the ATR-72 might stop-over at Penang or Subang this week. I guess the delivery flight route could be Toulouse-Trabzon-AlAin-Ngapur-Penang-Kupang-Brisbane.

Rumoured that VH-FVH might arrive Penang this afternoon or evening. Departing to Brisbane via Kupang tomorrow.