MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

We don’t need aerobridges, AirAsia tells MAHB

I don't follow the argument that with aerobrigde you can only use one exit.

I can't remember where (BHX? DUB? EDI? FRA?) but I have experienced passengers in front using aerobridge, passengers in the back take the steps onto the tarmac and then back up the steps of the aerobridge into the terminal.

Really, what it all boils down to is that TF is just being cheap! We now have proof that aerobridge fees at KLIA are not expensive at all. In fact, it looks downright cheap to me! It costs hardly anything in the scheme of things. As for his excuse that aerobridges slow down turn-around time, that's complete nonsense. Lots of LCCs use aerobridges but they also use the back stairs as well (like Virgin Blue in Australia). There are quite a number of people who actually require the aerobridge to get on the plane. The elderly and the handicapped are the best examples.

I agree with a lot of people here. I vote with my feet and my money. I refuse to fly AK now and I have also convinced my family and friends not to fly with them either. MH now gets all my business (and there's plenty of it!). :finger:

Really, what it all boils down to is that TF is just being cheap!

I also think it should ties back to the most basic element of LCC model - cost.

From the Statistic Thread, AK operated 84,568 flights from 1 January - 30 September 2010. That translated into 9,396 flights per month or 313 flights per day.

Assuming all flights are subject to the RM 85 aerobridge charges, by refusing it, AK can save (RM 85 x 313 flights x 365 days) = RM 9.7 million in a year. Taking into account AK has started not to use the Check-in counter as well (RM 42 charge per counter and assuming 1 flight will use 1 counter), AK will save another (RM 42 x 313 flights x 365 days) = RM 4.8 million.

So by not using the check-in counters and aerobridges at the LCCT, AK can easily saved RM 14.5 million from its cost in a year. This is crucial in maintaining AK's lead as the airline with the lowest cost per whatever basis in the world.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

I suppose it's all about making the biggest profit. Hey, if people are prepared to put up with his cost-cutting measures, so be it. I don't, so I choose not to fly with them. It really is as simple as that.

You are not forced to fly with them. If you want aerobridges, just fly with MAS, Firefly or other airlines at the MTB.

Yeah u r right.Everybody have a choice on which airline to fly.By the way FY doesn't need an aerobridge.Maybe a slide from th terminal straight into the plane.Whoosh!

how much would aerobridge costs add to your plane tix? a few sen? that's why we need firefly around.

At the begining, yes, it could be a few sens to the tix but we wouldn't know later on.It will be like the Malaysian teh-tarik syndrome.Assuming that Petrol prices go up by 10 sen and the cost for other things including usage of the aerobridges will go up by ???? %.

hahahaha everyone seems to know how to run an airline. MAB. You , MPs. Why don't you try.

Hehehehe, he is issuing a challenge to keyboard warriors... :)

If politicians are good in business, they should be CEO of company. Record has shown, few politicians have successful business without privilege or support from the gomen.

After aerobridges issue now TF said KLIA2 would be delay again? In Malay newspaper..

Benarkah KLIA2 bakal lewat siap?

Oleh AINUL ASNIERA AHSAN

ainul.ahsan@utusan.com.my

KUALA LUMPUR 21 Dis. - Isu berkaitan pembinaan Terminal Lapangan Terbang Tambang Murah (LCCT) di Sepang, Selangor atau kini dikenali sebagai KLIA2, timbul lagi.

Kali ini, Ketua Pegawai Eksekutif Kumpulan AirAsia Bhd. (AirAsia), Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes mendakwa pembinaan terminal itu bakal lewat setahun berbanding sasarannya pada April 2012.

Kelewatan itu dikatakan menjejaskan operasi AirAsia yang sedang berkembang pesat.

Namun timbul persoalannya, benarkah KLIA2 itu akan lewat siapnya atau orang kuat syarikat penerbangan tambang murah itu sekadar mahu memberikan tekanan tidak langsung agar Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd. (MAHB) menyegerakannya lagi.

Seperti biasa, peneraju pengendali lapangan terbang itu lebih gemar untuk menutup mulutnya dan membiarkan orang kuat AirAsia bercakap semahunya.

Barangkali, MAHB lebih senang membiarkan hanya tangannya yang lebih banyak membuat kerja berbanding banyak berkata-kata. Sebagai pelaksana projek itu, ia pastinya akan berusaha untuk siapnya seperti yang rancang.

Lagipun, setiap syarikat yang dilantik terlibat dalam projek terminal itu mempunyai perjanjian dengan MAHB, di mana sekiranya berlaku sebarang penangguhan projek, mereka akan dikenakan penalti.

Ketika projek KLIA2 masih lagi mempunyai tempoh selama 15 bulan untuk disiapkan, kenyataan Fernandes dilihat tidak mempunyai asas untuk menyatakan bakal berlakunya kelewatan.

Sememangnya tidak menafikan terdapat kerja-kerja pembinaan yang tertangguh tetapi mana-mana syarikat yang terbabit pastinya akan menyegerakannya.

Seperti mana-mana pelaksanaan projek mega lain, syarikat yang menjadi pengendali projek akan mengambil kira sebarang kemungkinan kelewatan projek.

Meskipun Fernandes menyuarakan kebimbangan dalam kegagalan MAHB menyiapkan landasan kedua, KLIA2 masih boleh beroperasi kerana Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuala Lumpur (KLIA) memiliki dua landasan.

Sebagai syarikat yang mempunyai rekod cemerlang, pengendali lapangan terbang tempatan itu dan terkenal di luar negara, pastinya kelewatan atau kegagalan untuk menyiapkan projek itu bukan satu pilihan.

Sama ada MAHB berjaya menyiapkannya atau tidak KLIA2 mengikut jadual, ia akan hanya diumumkan apabila sebahagiannya berjaya disiapkan. Lagipun, sekiranya projek itu ternyata berjaya disiapkan seperti mana tempohnya, Fernandes tidak akan rugi apa-apa.

Source : Utusan Malaysia

Yes it was reported in the English media too - he basically isn't confident that MAHB can meet their own deadline. Judging from the photos posted here on MWings, I would say that 2012 is a very optimistic date. Even if the building structure is up, fitting it out will take time as there are many systems that need to be installed. We also know that the runway is scheduled to be ready only 6 months after the scheduled completion date of the terminal.

If politicians are good in business, they should be CEO of company. Record has shown, few politicians have successful business without privilege or support from the gomen.

Well Sarawak's Chief Minister is doing very well...

Actually, the delay of KLIA2 has been expected by many quarters. From this report of an analyst/investment bank on MAHB, which was issued out on 12 August 2010, the concern about the delay of KLIA2 has been raised. Isn't MAHB = VERY slow = delay?

LCCTDelay.jpg

The March/April 2012 completion date that MAHB promised to AirAsia is actually 7/8 months delay from the initially agreed date. Then there was a delay to change the design of the terminal, then another 3 months delay in the tender exercise and still there are many other components of the project which have yet to be awarded. This cumulative delays will snowball and I think Uncle Tony has made his calculation right. It will be delayed by more than a year and burst its budget too LOL.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Ya, thought he should try to buy over MAHB for RM1 too.

AK is using aerobridge in BKK, HAN, SGN, DAC, VTE, SIN, etc. It seems only in Malaysia that AK is not using aerobridge :sorry:

It is more likely that MAB is charging exorbitant price for the use of aerobridge.

For SIN, AK is probably transferring the aerobridge fee to passengers. SIN-KUL for example, passengers flying on AK pay SGD$31 for "Airport charges & fees", whereas pax on 3K, MH, MI and SQ pay only $28.

For KLIA2, AK can do what it is currently doing at SIN. Use the aerobridges built by MAHB, and secretly include the charges under "Airport charges fees". It's not like they have no experience in imposing/increasing various fees.

For SIN, AK is probably transferring the aerobridge fee to passengers. SIN-KUL for example, passengers flying on AK pay SGD$31 for "Airport charges & fees", whereas pax on 3K, MH, MI and SQ pay only $28.

For KLIA2, AK can do what it is currently doing at SIN. Use the aerobridges built by MAHB, and secretly include the charges under "Airport charges fees". It's not like they have no experience in imposing/increasing various fees.

Yup, that's why AK operated at Terminal 1 Changi not at Budget Terminal. If they refuse using aerobridges at Changi they sure operated at Budget Terminal like Firefly, Tiger Airways.

Yup, that's why AK operated at Terminal 1 Changi not at Budget Terminal. If they refuse using aerobridges at Changi they sure operated at Budget Terminal like Firefly, Tiger Airways.

AK operated at terminal 1 Changi mainly due to the convenient connecting flights . As we know that Changi got a lot of flights and destinations to Europe,Australia,Japan and USA.Several well-known full service airlines such as Delta,British Airways,Air France and Qantas also operated at Terminal 1.What AK ( including its Thai and Indonesian unit) do is to fly as many as passengers from the regional destinations to Changi and then the passengers will connecting to the long haul flights with the full service airlines operating at the terminal 1....Can you guys see how AK help Changi in becoming a major aviation hub? They do the similar thing at Suvarnabhumi (BKK). Alas, AK do not has an intention to do the same thing at KUL ( as a complement to the full service carriers which operating at the main terminal building). Travelers definitely wont choose KUL as their transit point.

AK operated at terminal 1 Changi mainly due to the convenient connecting flights . As we know that Changi got a lot of flights and destinations to Europe,Australia,Japan and USA.Several well-known full service airlines such as Delta,British Airways,Air France and Qantas also operated at Terminal 1.What AK ( including its Thai and Indonesian unit) do is to fly as many as passengers from the regional destinations to Changi and then the passengers will connecting to the long haul flights with the full service airlines operating at the terminal 1....Can you guys see how AK help Changi in becoming a major aviation hub? They do the similar thing at Suvarnabhumi (BKK). Alas, AK do not has an intention to do the same thing at KUL ( as a complement to the full service carriers which operating at the main terminal building). Travelers definitely wont choose KUL as their transit point.

Believe it is more likely that CAAS/CAG see the potential of AK, offered special rate for AK to use T1 and transfer aerobridge charge to pax.

One of many reasons why AK was removed from KUL’s MTB was that MAB was unhappy to see less prestige pax (e.g. foreign workers) roaming and sleeping around MTB :pardon:

One of many reasons why AK was removed from KUL’s MTB was that MAB was unhappy to see less prestige pax (e.g. foreign workers) roaming and sleeping around MTB :pardon:

Wow, never heard such things... So MAHB prefer the quietness over roaming pax in MTB :o

Wow, never heard such things... So MAHB prefer the quietness over roaming pax in MTB :o

I don't think MAHB mind the so called "less prestige" pax, but you need to have some sense of decency. Not to say that it's okay to have them sleeping in the LCCT but don't forget, the airport would be the first thing a tourist sees once he/she steps off the airplane so a good impression is necessary.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Sign in to follow this