MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
c.lee

Cathay Pacific new business class

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/business-travel/cathay-pacific-to-revamp-business-class-20101208-18pav.html

Cathay Pacific to revamp business class

Cathay Pacific Airways, Hong Kong's biggest carrier, will spend more than HK$1 billion ($131 million) introducing new business-class seats to fend off competition for lucrative premium travellers.

The wing-back seats will be fitted in 50 long-haul planes by February, 2013, the carrier said in a statement. They will first be used on flights to Sydney from March.

Incoming chief executive officer John Slosar will oversee the revamp as Emirates and Singapore Airlines woo Hong Kong travelers with Airbus SAS A380s, and US carriers add China flights on surging economic growth. British Airways and Deutsche Lufthansa have also unveiled new first-class cabins this year as travel rebounds from the global recession.

Advertisement: Story continues below "The premium carriers in this region have to be very mindful of what's going on in the Middle East," said Derek Sadubin, chief operating officer at consultants Centre for Asia- Pacific Aviation. "And, there's obviously some very strong transpacific rivals."

Cathay will install the new business-class seats in 30 Boeing 777-300 ERs and 20 Airbus SAS A330-300. The carrier will also roll out new cabin-crew uniforms as part of the revamp.

The airline is overhauling its business-class offering as Singapore Airlines and Emirates fly their flagship A380s to Hong Kong. In September, it opened The Cabin, its fourth airport lounge in Hong Kong, which offers Apple iPads and a health bar. The airline is also working on renovating its main lounge, The Wing.

A few pictures from CX Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=264717&id=11279153466

154811_475321293466_11279153466_5669294_2328586_n.jpg

67180_475320178466_11279153466_5669282_3647421_n.jpg

72636_475321668466_11279153466_5669301_4567462_n.jpg

65749_475314218466_11279153466_5669216_4152116_n.jpg

67180_475320163466_11279153466_5669279_4829874_n.jpg

65749_475314208466_11279153466_5669214_208638_n.jpg

I just hope MH unveils a really good business class product with the arrival of their new A330-300s next year so they can compete with CX's new product and the current offerings from SQ and EK.

Good seat design, everyone has direct aisle access, no need to climb a person seated next to. Wonder what kind of business seat that will be install in MH new aircraft (A380,A330) to compete with new generation of business seat offered by SQ,NH,KE,CX etc.

Just wondering, is the config really 1-2-1? With such a seating layout, its wonderful that everyone has direct access to the isle but how would it be for couples travelling together. The Cant really see the window seats in the pictures, but if it is as it seems, couples or even business partners would not be able to talk to each other very well, right?

Looks like the Business Class passenger has to tuck his feet into that little "cubby hole" at the sharper end of his personal space. I gather this is unavoidable but as long as one could stretch out and lie flat, it does not matter.

The centre row of Premium Economy seats are quite awkward for a couple travelling together, especially one that is lovey-dovey. They are perhaps better off seating across the aisle from one another where they could at least still see one another without pinching a nerve on their necks.

Personally, I am not thrilled about the predominance of grey tones in the cabin ... very lacking in warmth.

The stake and competition is high for well-heeled passengers in the premium cabins. And Cathay Pacific is finally realising that its existing not-so-old Business Class seats just don't measure up.

The carriers from the Middle East are really giving Far Eastern carriers a run for their money. I just returned from a Munich-Doha-Singapore flight with Qatar Airways and I was mighty impressed by its inflight service. The best of its crew members are certainly those from the Philippines. And the IFE in the B777-200LR is wonderful ... very easy to navigate - even for an IT-d10t like me. Only disappointment was the super small food portion served on a plastic tray that I swear looked similar to my niece's play kitchen set from years ago. I hope that Cathay Pacific - just like SQ - continues to entice with superior meal services.

KC Sim

I just hope MH unveils a really good business class product with the arrival of their new A330-300s next year so they can compete with CX's new product and the current offerings from SQ and EK.

It would not surprise me if MAS is 3-4 generations behind CX/SQ/EK as far as product is concerned .............. :rolleyes:

I hope I am wrong this time ......... :)

:hi:

I just returned from a Munich-Doha-Singapore flight with Qatar Airways and I was mighty impressed by its inflight service. The best of its crew members are certainly those from the Philippines. And the IFE in the B777-200LR is wonderful ... very easy to navigate - even for an IT-d10t like me.

Glad to hear that, KC !!!

So, I'm not the only one liking QR :pardon:

Windowseats on CX are fine, however, I don't like the set-up of the middle-row at all... :finger:

Very Air NZ no?

Ok...my bad...not really...

ANZ-premium-economy.jpg

This is for Premium Economy, not business...

Kenneth, do u mean this is CX Premium Y seats....looks very white though

The new seats in my opinion looks still like the existing long haul J seats but at different angle....even the seat fabric n colour in my opinion is still the same as what they use now but I have no complains if CX upgrades me fr Y to J when I fly thempardon.gif

I hope they will change their regional J seats as it is getting pretty worn out

Just wondering, is the config really 1-2-1? With such a seating layout, its wonderful that everyone has direct access to the isle but how would it be for couples travelling together. The Cant really see the window seats in the pictures, but if it is as it seems, couples or even business partners would not be able to talk to each other very well, right?

It really is on a 1-2-1 layout. US is already using this kind of seat on their 332.

Kenneth, do u mean this is CX Premium Y seats....looks very white though

That's the NZ Premium Economy Class seat on their 77W.

Sign in to follow this