MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Timothy

MasWings Twin Otter

When MH were in charge of the Rural Air Services (RAS) in Sarawak & Sabah, how did they choose the pilots for this ? I'm quite sure not many ambitious pilots would take to flying the Fokker 50 or Twin Otters.

And being from the area, I've had to use the F27's & F50's for 20 years now :) so just curious about how thing worked before (and maybe now with the ATR ? )

The Fokker captains were usually at least 40+ and not mainly Malaysians (Japanese,Philippines,Dutch etc) but First Officers were always young Malaysians. Not quite sure about the Otters though since I'm seldom on them ...

When MH were in charge of the Rural Air Services (RAS) in Sarawak & Sabah, how did they choose the pilots for this ? I'm quite sure not many ambitious pilots would take to flying the Fokker 50 or Twin Otters.

And being from the area, I've had to use the F27's & F50's for 20 years now :) so just curious about how thing worked before (and maybe now with the ATR ? )

The Fokker captains were usually at least 40+ and not mainly Malaysians (Japanese,Philippines,Dutch etc) but First Officers were always young Malaysians. Not quite sure about the Otters though since I'm seldom on them ...

I believes the pilots are inducted through MAS Cadet Pilot Programme and are distributed to the main fleet and MasWing thereafter. Some are inducted through Direct-Entry programme by MasWing itself.