MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Georg Burdicek

Garuda to join Sky Team

http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/2314989-garuda-indonesia-join-skyteam

Garuda Indonesia has signed an agreement to join Skyteam, with the joining ceremony scheduled for 2012.

The Indonesian airline will add some 30 new destinations to the alliance’s network.

Emirsyah Satar, President and CEO of Garuda, said the airline’s signing with Skyteam is part of a long-term development strategy.

“For years we have been upgrading our service and actively forging cooperation with SkyTeam member airlines with this objective in mind,” he said.

“As the first Indonesian airline to join this world-class alliance, our strategic target is to continuously strengthen profitability and boost international market competitiveness.”

I think MH wants to join Sky Team.. But for some reason it's not happening. I'm really curious to know what's holding them back.

I think MH wants to join Sky Team.. But for some reason it's not happening. I'm really curious to know what's holding them back.

MH 5 star status is too prestige to downgrade to join lowly 3 or 4 star Alliance :pardon:

:drinks:

MH 5 star status is too prestige to downgrade to join lowly 3 or 4 star Alliance pardon.gif

drinks.gif

Maybe MH should start their own alliance of so called "5 Star" airlines....n see who will follow them...rofl.gif rofl.gif

MH better do something as my Enrich card is collecting quite a lot of dust due to the fact they are not part of any alliance ....

Maybe MH should start their own alliance of so called "5 Star" airlines....n see who will follow them...rofl.gif rofl.gif

MH better do something as my Enrich card is collecting quite a lot of dust due to the fact they are not part of any alliance ....

You know, you're on to something. An alliance with Emirates! :lol:

MH 5 star status is too prestige to downgrade to join lowly 3 or 4 star Alliance :pardon:

:drinks:

This is obviously not the case. Believe they had been in talks with ST for the past few years. Unless we get hold of insiders' info, we can only speculate the reasons why MH is still not joining ST (or why ST is still not accepting MH) after so many years of negotiation.

If joining ST makes no economic sense to MH, obviously they would not want to join just for the sake of joining. It has to be a win-win situation for both MH and ST.

This is obviously not the case. Believe they had been in talks with ST for the past few years. Unless we get hold of insiders' info, we can only speculate the reasons why MH is still not joining ST (or why ST is still not accepting MH) after so many years of negotiation.

If joining ST makes no economic sense to MH, obviously they would not want to join just for the sake of joining. It has to be a win-win situation for both MH and ST.

I think the door to Sky Team has closed for MH. They already have two South East Asian airlines as members, so explain to me why they need another? I believe Oneworld is MH's best, and possibly last chance to be part of an alliance.

I think the door to Sky Team has closed for MH. They already have two South East Asian airlines as members, so explain to me why they need another? I believe Oneworld is MH's best, and possibly last chance to be part of an alliance.

I just hope Oneworld will consider searching viable partner in this region, could MH be a potential partner?

Looks and sounds like both teams (ST/AF and MH) do not agree with each other. And MH want to keep their business going, they probably have to let it go.

I just hope Oneworld will consider searching viable partner in this region, could MH be a potential partner?

Only time will tell......pardon.gif .....MH do codeshare with some OW airlines for some ruotes though but this does not mean anything...but who knows...

As long as toon kutty the grand old man is still influential, MH is unlikely to be allowed to partner with American, British or Aussie :pardon:

As long as toon kutty the grand old man is still influential, MH is unlikely to be allowed to partner with American, British or Aussie pardon.gif

Why ?...Does any partnetship or alliance makes MH less Malaysian.....how influential is the grand old man in MH ? ....

As long as toon kutty the grand old man is still influential, MH is unlikely to be allowed to partner with American, British or Aussie :pardon:

The grand old man is hardly influential in MH now is he? Besides, Najib's government has proven to be more pro-American than his predecessors

hi, its been a long while i was here. Can see alot of changes here.

The CEO of MH actually came to my college to give a talk. I asked him about whether anot they are planing to join an alliance..

The answer from him is a no...

I can tell you one of the main reason is: (i cant remember it as it was sometime ago)

-if you join a alliance, you are expected to contribute... If not why first place the airline was allowed to join.

I can tell you one of the main reason is: (i cant remember it as it was sometime ago)

-if you join a alliance, you are expected to contribute... If not why first place the airline was allowed to join.

Oh, thinking that since you join a group, then other group members expect you to give your cooperation and contribution. Kind of like, "OK, we want to see if this person can be cooperative or just menumpang (being a passenger)".

Actually, why the 'grand old man' didnt allowed MH to join oneworld? :huh: Talking about partnering with American,British and Aussie,I suppose that our nation during his leadership era has a good relationship with those countries right? Could someone explain here....

hi, its been a long while i was here. Can see alot of changes here.

The CEO of MH actually came to my college to give a talk. I asked him about whether anot they are planing to join an alliance..

When exactly was this? Just a few months ago he (Tengku Azmil) said MH are interested in joining an alliance..

..... Talking about partnering with American,British and Aussie,I suppose that our nation during his leadership era has a good relationship with those countries right? Could someone explain here....

American : zionist ally etc

British : "buy British last policy"

Aussie : 'recalcitrant' comment

Probably not topics within scope of sejarah syllabus, but can google nevertheless :)

Precisely Jani, when was this 'talk' ?

This illustrates the flip flop direction(s) that MH seem to exhibit each time a newbie takes charge

Look at it from the potential alliance partners side and you'll go a long way to understanding why alliances are not welcoming MH with open arms, just yet, despite 5* status ;)

..... -if you join a alliance, you are expected to contribute... If not why first place the airline was allowed to join.

No big deal in the real world - no free lunches, period :)

The thing is, if what you hope to reap is greater than what you 'contribute' then it's a viable partnership

The fact that most majors are 'in' mean there must be something, somewhere within these alliances that individual airlines find beneficial beyond what they are required to contribute (it's called a symbiotic relationship)

Those who are left isolated, ....... think the school playground during recess :D

Edited by BC Tam

I suppose it's looking less and less likely that MH will end up joining SkyTeam. I'm sure MH feels that the benefits that they would reap are not as great as one would expect. From a frequent flyer's point of view, there is one advantage...MH's lounges won't be crowded! Star Alliance and One World lounges are always crowded because passengers in Business class of partner airlines, elite members of the partner airline's FF programme and members of clubs like Qantas Club or UA's Red Carpet can all access the lounges. I love MH's lounges because they feel so exclusive!

I suppose it's looking less and less likely that MH will end up joining SkyTeam. I'm sure MH feels that the benefits that they would reap are not as great as one would expect. From a frequent flyer's point of view, there is one advantage...MH's lounges won't be crowded! Star Alliance and One World lounges are always crowded because passengers in Business class of partner airlines, elite members of the partner airline's FF programme and members of clubs like Qantas Club or UA's Red Carpet can all access the lounges. I love MH's lounges because they feel so exclusive!

Consequently, KUL is not crowded and pax can feel serene and exclusive.

hi sorry no reply,

The talk was given around September & the speech was given by CEO which is Tengku Azmil...

Sign in to follow this