MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Lee

iPad as IFE

Read this in Flight Global

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/runway-girl/2010/06/jetstar-to-launch-ipad-in-flig.html

Qantas unit Jetstar has emerged the trial carrier for BlueBox' iPad for in-flight entertainment (IFE).

The Australian low-fares airline - understood to be a customer of Airvod - in a statement says the trial will begin later this month on selected domestic routes across Australia.

It says the iPads will provide IFE with movies, TV programs, eBooks, music videos, games and CDs. Jetstar passengers can pay $10 to rent the iPad on board.

Specific details about content are not immediately available. However, the trial is being carried out under partnership with Stellar Inflight, which specializes in film and television programming/licensing.

Key quote from Jetstar CEO Bruce Buchanan:

"We are really excited to commence the trial of the iPads, as we're always looking for ways to enhance our customer's Jetstar experience. Given the demand for the iPad so far, I anticipate it will have strong appeal amongst our passengers. In addition to offering low fares, great customer service and more choice, it's important that we can provide the latest in innovative technology to entertain our customers on board.Based on demand for the iPads as part of the trial, we'll be looking to roll out the devices across our entire domestic and international network later in the year."

So Jetstar is mulling rolling out the devices on its entire domestic and international network? Well that's rather huge. Jetstar's fleet consists of Airbus A320s, A321s and A330s. The carrier also holds an order for 15 787s. A bit of in-flight connectivity would go nicely with this deal, eh?

Unquote

Ever since I got mine. I take it everywhere.

Wouldn't it be cool. It is the best entertainment device ever.

Edited by Tim Lee

In-flight entertainment has been taken up a notch with the introduction of iPads on board Jetstar's flights. The low-cost carrier held its inaugural iPad flight on an A320 from Auckland to Melbourne on November 8, where passengers were offered to try out the tablets for free.

This option is now available on selected Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft serving routes longer than two hours, including Jetstar’s trans-Tasman, Australian domestic, and short- and long-haul international services. The rate for hiring the iPad, subject to availability, ranges from A$10 to A$15 (US$10 to US$15) for the whole journey. Jetstar's A320 aircraft will have 24 iPads available for hire.

According to a spokesperson from Jetstar, the iPads will be available on all of Jetstar’s remaining Australian and New Zealand A320 and A321 services, and selected A330 routes, in the coming month. While Jetstar's A320 will only have 24 iPads for hire, the A321 and A330 aircraft will have 30 and 160 iPads available respectively.

Passengers will be able to enjoy movies, TV shows, music, as well as play a selection up of games, e-magazines and ebooks with the device. The carrier has worked with major motion picture houses such as Disney, Universal, Sony and Warner Brothers, to equip the iPads with the latest blockbusters.

During the initial stage, 3,000 iPads will be rolled out, and the number will increase when the iPads are introduced to the airline's Asian subsidiary. “Jetstar intends to roll out iPads on Jetstar Asia flights longer than two hours in 2012, subject to a successful roll-out on Jetstar’s domestic Australian and New Zealand networks,” said the spokesperson. The iPads were originally scheduled to be rolled out last year (see story here), following a successful pilot run, however was delayed due to contract negotiations between Apple and media outlets.

Both the first-generation iPad and iPad 2 will be available on board.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/jetstar-rolls-out-the-ipad-on-flights

Jetstar hosted a flurry of freeloading journalists to sing the praises of the iPad 2 as the new in-flight entertainment system. The gambit worked. Now the airline is making iPad's available to passengers -- who, unlike the journos, will have to pay for the privilege.

Qantas’ budget carrier is in the process of rolling out 3,000 iPads on its flights. By December, they’ll be on all trans-Tasman A320/A321 services, as well as A330 services, which includes domestic, short-haul international and long-haul operations to and from Australia and New Zealand.

That being the case, a maximum 160 of the 330 passengers on A330 flights will get an iPad -- others will either miss out or save a buck.

Renting an iPad will set travelers back between $10 and $15. For that, they’ll get access to films, magazines, games and TV shows.

Punters traveling with kids can even keep them occupied with a “kids’ zone.”

All the entertainment will be streamed by a Jetstar app created by Bluebox Avionics and will be not be able to access the Internet.

The airline made the move as “it would best suit our in-flight entertainment,” chief executive of Jetstar David Hall told scribes who had just enjoyed a free flight.

Read more: Jetstar launches iPads for in-flight entertainment | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/sydney/visit/jetstar-launches-ipads-flight-entertainment-249292?hpt=itr_t1#ixzz1efjRhJpL

I've read that IFE's are one of the most expensive components of an aircraft. I wonder how much cheaper/expensive is it to just use an iPad instead?

I've read that IFE's are one of the most expensive components of an aircraft. I wonder how much cheaper/expensive is it to just use an iPad instead?

Probably not by much once content licensing cost is factored in.

Furthermore they need to consider methods to prevent passengers from 'forgetting to return the iPads' after the flight...

Edited by Y. J. Foo

Furthermore they need to consider methods to prevent passengers from 'forgetting to return the iPads' after the flight...

It has to be secured against the back of the front seat. Otherwise, quite troublesome to watch movie or play games whilst having meals :)

Far cheaper:

• Installing IFE is an absolute pain. And because there are only a couple of IFE providers, it is usually very expensive and it is the vendor's market to charge whatever they deem fit.
  • If installing IFE on an aircraft that is already in service, it usually means that the aircraft has to be pulled out of service, resulting in severe disruption to flight operations.
  • I doubt they will uplift the same number of iPads as the number of seats on board. Thus less iPads compared to IFE boxes = less weight = less fuel = more savings to the airline. Whether that savings are passed on to passengers or not, :pardon:
  • Many passengers nowadays already have their own iPads / tablets, so airlines do not need to cater to them anymore.

Edited by alberttky

Qantas becomes launch customer for Airbus iPad flight bag

By australianaviation.com.au | 30 November 2012 Friday | 11:19 am

Qantas has become a launch customer for Airbus’s iPad cockpit applications. The electronic flight bag (EFB) will be used aboard all Airbus aircraft in the Qantas fleet.

The system will enable flight crew to consolidate paper manuals into electronic form and to compute aircraft performance calculations.

Qantas and Airbus have been collaborating on EFB design and functionality since the intention to acquire the technology was first announced mid-year.

Qantas’s head of flight technical, Capt. David Oliver, said: “We’re pleased to be working with Airbus on this innovative new EFB application, which will form part of the broader roll-out of iPads to all Qantas pilots over the coming months. Qantas is committed to new technology that reduces paperwork in the cockpit and improves access to information for our pilots, and this app very much meets that requirement.”

http://australianaviation.com.au/2012/11/qantas-becomes-launch-customer-for-airbus-ipad-flight-bag/

Edited by xtemujin

Sign in to follow this