MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sri Ramani K.

Air Atlanta Icelandic bites the dust?

Last week while talking to a friend, was informed that Air Atlanta Icelandic has ceased its operations. Thought it was just a rumour until I spotted one of the four 747s parked in front of MAS hangar in KLIA being torn into pieces. These birds were already on LTP there and was told that the engines were returned to the respective owners and the airframes are not being sold. Anyone with any news at all mind sharing some light?

Bro, u mean the 4 white B747 parked near the cargo terminal? Seems like they were there for ages.

Not heard of them going down the drain, however, these 747 Freighters were very old and too costly to operate them (after the lease), so it was better to get the good parts off and scrap them (just my 2 cents)...

Air Atlanta has not been flying for MasKargo since early this year; MasKargo contract is now with Southern Air. A few aircraft thought to belong to Air Atlanta is still in KUL and not flying since then. Maybe these will be scrapped. As for the Iceland-based Air Atlanta, I wonder what contracts they are flying nowadays. My guess is that they are alive and well somewhere else.

Air Atlanta has not been flying for MasKargo since early this year; MasKargo contract is now with Southern Air. A few aircraft thought to belong to Air Atlanta is still in KUL and not flying since then. Maybe these will be scrapped. As for the Iceland-based Air Atlanta, I wonder what contracts they are flying nowadays. My guess is that they are alive and well somewhere else.

What was common then are now rare at KUL. :(

I would believe Air Atlanta Icelandic is still flying as never heard of the airline biting the dust. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the posting below in CH-Aviation will provide some answers on their 5x 747-200F

"29.08.2010 - Air Atlanta Icelandic (CC/Reykjavik Keflavik) has lost a contract with Malaysia Airlines (MH/Kuala Lumpur Intl) to provide B747-200F freighters to Southern Air (9S/Hartford). It has retired all but two B747-200F freighters that are currently wet-leased to Cargolux (CV/Luxembourg) and Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV/Jeddah)."

I would believe Air Atlanta Icelandic is still flying as never heard of the airline biting the dust. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the posting below in CH-Aviation will provide some answers on their 5x 747-200F

"29.08.2010 - Air Atlanta Icelandic (CC/Reykjavik Keflavik) has lost a contract with Malaysia Airlines (MH/Kuala Lumpur Intl) to provide B747-200F freighters to Southern Air (9S/Hartford). It has retired all but two B747-200F freighters that are currently wet-leased to Cargolux (CV/Luxembourg) and Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV/Jeddah)."

Thank you very much Chaity for the link. Both the 747F leased to CV and SV are in KUL till this very moment, so I am wondering if they are still in business? That particular friend of mine did tell me that the only 2 747F already have a new owner. If you happen to take off or land on 32L, you'll be able to see all these 5 birds in front of the MH hangar.

Do u have any idea if i want to buy 1 unit of B747 before they scrap it into pieces? To whom should i contact to talk about this..

At Subang now I believe the 1 near Transmile apron is currently taking off it useable items and will slowly scrapped, i believe.

Do u have any idea if i want to buy 1 unit of B747 before they scrap it into pieces? To whom should i contact to talk about this..

Spotted 1 scrap unit chopped with the cockpit (could be a F27) without the cone head somewhere in kota kemuning scrap yard this morning while jalan-jalan.