MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

Suspect Luggage Pilferage at Airport

My luggage is a Samsonite Oyster with luggage strap (similar to photo). Knowing scanner at airport is very sensitive, I don’t keep any valuable item in the luggage.

Last March, while picking up my luggage at STR, I noted the strap was loosen, combination lock was broken and the luggage was opened. As transit at AMS was quite long, I assumed the luggage was broke in at AMS. Since nothing was lost, I kept quiet.

In October, on arrival at NUE via FRA, my luggage strap was again loosen and luggage was opened. Again, nothing valuable inside and nothing was lost.

The common denomination of both incidents is the departure airport. Hence, suspect luggage pilferage at the departure airport is rampage.

Believe they opened my luggage because my camera battery charger appeared as a camera or ipod on scanner.

Posted my experience to advise not to keep any valuable item in check-in luggage.

ls_001.jpg

Very common for me when travelling in/out of the US. Probably it is the same with Europe? Especially coming from Malaysia.

However they do leave a note inside saying something like "Your bag was searched for security bla bla.."

Had same experience two days ago .. i was traveling on Business Class from KUL to CMB and my bag makes an appearance on carousel after half an hour waiting in between economy class baggage. To my surprise, my padlock gone. Combination lock was on use (which was not on use during checked-in). Nothing has been touched as it's all my personal belonging and no valuable items.

I just hate it when people does this sort of thing! Such an invasion of privacy!

Saw on the net how easy it was to open the zippers with just a ballpoint pen, therefore I always lock my luggage with a padlock and double secure it with a the combination lock.

I' thinking of getting a 3rd strap-lock!

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Speaking about luggage, I found that luggage handlers at KUL didn't take much care about your bags. Whenever I got my bags back, they would be very dirty and cuts were everywhere. It didn't happen when I checked in at other airports.

I just hate it when people does this sort of thing! Such an invasion of privacy!

Saw on the net how easy it was to open the zippers with just a ballpoint pen, therefore I always lock my luggage with a padlock and double secure it with a the combination lock.

I don't think there is a difference how secure you want it to be. If the authorities decide they want to open up your bag and go through your stuff, they will.

But as everyone here has said, no one has lost anything so hopefully these people are just doing their job and are indeed doing so for the sake of security.

That will only attracts attentions and interest for the wrong reason.

Get a bag with 'TSA' lock, esp. traveling to US. Then they won't damage your conventional locks to inspect bag.

Sign in to follow this