MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Norman

Qatar Airways pilot dies in-flight

KUALA LUMPUR: A Qatar Airways aircraft enroute from Manila to Doha made an emergency landing at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) Wednesday, after one of its pilots died of a heart attack mid-air.

A spokesman for the airways said the pilot, a 43-year-old Indian national, complained of chest pains and the co-pilot requested to land at KLIA around 11.30am.

"The plane, an A330 Airbus with about 250 passengers on board, landed here while a medical team was on standby.

"The pilot was pronounced dead and the airlines took immediate steps and changed the entire crew before the aircraft took off at 1.15pm," he said.

Sepang police chief Supt Zahedi Ayub, when contacted, said the pilot's body was taken to the Serdang Hospital for a post mortem and the results showed that he had died of heart failure.

That "pilot incapacitated" training sure comes in handy....

R.I.P.

Good to see the copilot was able to land the fully loaded A330 safely on KLIA's runway... :good:

The rego is A7-AEH

A Qatar Airways Airbus A330-300, registration A7-AEH performing flight QR-645 from Manila (Philippines) to Doha (Qatar), was enroute near Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) when the captain showed symptoms of a heart attack and passed away in flight. The first officer diverted to Kuala Lumpur for a safe landing.

The airline confirmed the captain passed away in flight, the flight diverted to Kuala Lumpur. A replacement crew boarded the aircraft, that reached Doha with a delay of 4.5 hours

AVHerald

Rest in peace, captain.

Why KUL is the diversion airport & not BKK? I thought the flight path will be nearer to BKK.

BKK is further from MNL compared to KUL. So it would be more sensible to land in KUL, comparing KUL's traffic is lesser than BKK and SIN.

BKK is further from MNL compared to KUL. So it would be more sensible to land in KUL, comparing KUL's traffic is lesser than BKK and SIN.

Maybe Qatar got crew night stopping in KUL and can get replacement crew , since the opreating capt already pass away inflight .

The late captain has passed away within 2 minutes, as he experienced some sort of heart attack and vomited.

Luckily, there was another senior FO onboard, traveling back to DOH. He assisted to land the aircraft together with the FO.

There were only 2paxs onboard in Jclass, crew had placed the body of the pilot at 1 of the Jclass seat. They have to remove the strap from the pilot's shoulder as nobody onboard know that their pilot has passed away.

Aircraft registration: A7-AEH, A330-300 with 2class config - 30J/275Y.

The late captain is an Indian nationality, born in 1967. Currently, the body is in Serdang hospital, and scheduled to be sent back on tonights flight, QR625.

Edited by nastar

RIP, Captain.

Does an aircraft carry a defibrillator?

If I'm not mistaken, yes. But only certified medical personnel on board are allowed to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The late captain has passed away within 2 minutes, as he experienced some sort of heart attack and vomited.

Luckily, there was another senior FO onboard, traveling back to DOH. He assisted to land the aircraft together with the FO.

There were only 2paxs onboard in Jclass, crew had placed the body of the pilot at 1 of the Jclass seat. They have to remove the strap from the pilot's shoulder as nobody onboard know that their pilot has passed away.

Aircraft registration: A7-AEH, A330-300 with 2class config - 30J/275Y.

The late captain is an Indian nationality, born in 1967. Currently, the body is in Serdang hospital, and scheduled to be sent back on tonights flight, QR625.

2 FOs landed the a/c, :good:

Luckily there was a senior FO onboard.

If one pilot is incapacitated, can the other pilot land the plane himself if there are no other pilots onboard? Or must he get some assistance from someone else e.g. cabin crew?

Edited by c.lee

If one pilot is incapacitated, can the other pilot land the plane himself if there are no other pilots onboard? Or must he get some assistance from someone else e.g. cabin crew?

Part of the pilot training is to be able to land the aircraft with the other pilot incapacitated. As such, unless there is other, major, malfunction of the aircraft, they were never in the slightest of danger.

Lets pay our respect to Captain Ajya Kukreja. Captain Kukreja's family is now with him in his homeland of India. RIP

Disclaimer - I am mentioning the Captain's name in case anyone in Malaysianwings knew him professionally/personally, without any other intention.

Edited by nastar

Did the co-pilot sit on pilot's seat during landing and leave his seat empty? Or did anyone sit with him in case something happened during landing?

If I'm not mistaken, yes. But only certified medical personnel on board are allowed to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The first 1-2 minutes following cardiac arrest are the most critical stage to revive him. In Japan and many western countries, train stations and malls are equipped with defibrillators and staff are trained to use them. Airlines can train the most senior FAs to use the equpment, let say IFS and this will do if no medical personnel was on board.

Sign in to follow this