MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

Kota Bharu Airport upgrading.

Kota Bharu airport will be upgraded to accommodate full code 4C aircraft operation .The main works will include the upgrading of the infrastructures in the airside. The work on the extension of runway will start on the 3rd October 2010. All works are slated for completion by September 2011. When completed, the runway length will be 2400 metres.

From the Malaysian AIC:

KUALA LUMPUR FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION

KOTA BHARU / SULTAN ISMAIL PETRA AIRPORT

UPGRADING OF KOTA BHARU AIRPORT

1. INTRODUCTION

1.1 The Kota Bharu Airport will be upgraded to accommodate full Code 4C aircraft operation. The main works will include the upgrading of the infrastructures in the airside. All works are slated

for completion by September 2011.

2. PURPOSE

2.1 The purpose of this Aeronautical Information Circular (AIC) is to provide advance information and advice regarding the scope of works pertaining to the Kota Bharu Airport upgrading programme. This AIC will be followed by a number of AIP Supplements that will provide details of the upgrading works, introduction of new facilities and revision to the existing procedures.

3. AIRCRAFT MOVEMENT AREAS AND ANCILLARY FACILITIES

3.1 The existing runway length of 1981m x 45m will be extended from Threshold Runway 28 by 491 meters. When completed the runway length will be 2400m x 45m. Runway End Safety Area (RESA) of 90m x 90m provided at both runway ends.

3.2 A new partial parallel taxiway will be introduced to connect the Parking Apron to Threshold Runway 28 and, in order to improve aircraft movement, a connecting taxiway will be provided at 2000 meters from Threshold Runway 10.

3.3 The existing VDGS at Bay 1, 2 and 3 will be repositioned to meet separation distance requirement Code C aircraft.

3.4 A new apron for helicopter operation will be provided.

3.5 The existing meteorological station will be relocated to a new site

3.6 Airport drainage system, security fencing and airside perimeter road for the extended area will be provided.

4. NAVIGATIONAL AIDS AND VISUAL AIDS

4.1 A new Aerodrome Ground Lighting (AGL) will be provided for the extended runway, new parallel taxiway and connecting taxiway.

4.2 The Simple Approach Lighting System for Runway 28 will be relocated at new position for the extended runway.

4.3 PAPI for Runway 28 will be relocated to the new position. New threshold lighting and markings for Runway 28 will also be provided.

4.4 The existing ILS Localizer will be relocated at new position for the extended runway. Detail of downtime of the ILS Localizer will be published in AIP Supplement.

5. AIRSPACE STRUCTURES AND PROCEDURES

5.1 The upgrading of Kota Bharu Airport incorporates the revision of existing airspace, arrival and departure procedures consistent with the extended runway. SIDS and

STARs will be introduced to improve traffic flow. Non precision approach and landing procedures will be made available including RNAV procedures. Air routes will be adjusted with relevant charts revised.

DATO’ AZHARUDDIN ABDUL RAHMAN.

Director General

Department of Civil Aviation

Malaysia

AIC 03/2010

Edited by Radzi

Interesting news. What's the definition of full code 4C aircraft btw?

Is Rwy 28 the one adjacent to the main road to the apt or is that Rwy 10?

Wish KBR could handle widebodies but with TGG looks like that's not gonna happen... :sorry:

Nice,After SBW Terminal Expansion Project,now it's KBR Runway Extension Project.

And BTW,May i know what are the 4C aircraft operation?

KBR totally deserved this from years ago.. The number of domestic flights from KBR is among the highest in malaysia..

KBR totally deserved this from years ago.. The number of domestic flights from KBR is among the highest in malaysia..

Yup, KBR one of highest domestic traffic in Malaysia. At the same time perhaps Kota Bharu Airport will upgrade to International Airport and able to conduct international flights such as route for KBR-SIN, KBR-MED and within Thai. It's good bisness prospect for FY, MH and AK.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

So it was amazing that Brunei's A342 operated some mths back from the existing KBR runway.

Mush, u watched that video? It was amazing!

Where to watch that video?? :o Omg i've heard the story a million times but never actually watch it...

Where to watch that video?? :o  Omg i've heard the story a million times but never actually watch it...

I believe this is the one:

I wish they take the video of its approach and landing...

By the way I noticed there is a new building built around their GA area... A new heli company?

Edited by Syukri

So it was amazing that Brunei's A342 operated some mths back from the existing KBR runway.

an mh tow tug did a very long pushback to position the aircraft for its take off....

Kelantan airport to soar

KOTA BARU: The Sultan Ismail Petra Airport here is set to soar to become a regional hub for international flights after the upgrading of the runway and other facilities at a cost of RM45mil.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said the runway had been extended from 1,981m to 2,400m, which could accommodate Airbus 320 and Boeing 737-800 series aircraft.

Several new taxiways have also been constructed to accommodate more aircraft, while facilities have been created for helicopter parking services and rescheduled visual docking guidance system.

“I am happy to note that the project is going on schedule since works started in June last year.

“The project is almost completed, and it will be operational by Sept 9,” he told reporters after being briefed on the project by Malaysia Airports Berhad officials at the Sultan Ismail Petra airport here yesterday.

Kong said the runway needed to be expanded to accommodate bigger commercial aircraft.

He added that the better facilities would make the airport a regional hub for direct flights to Singapore or South Thailand.

“My ministry welcomes plans by any airline to start direct flights from anywhere because the airport here is ready to take in more traffic,” he said.

“This airport is ready for international flights from Asean countries. At the same time it can generate economic activities for locals in the tourism and transport sectors,” he added.

Malaysian Airlines, AirAsia and FireFly make an average of five to 10 flights each from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Baru daily.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/20/nation/9338356&sec=nation

Regional hub???? What's their definition for regional hub?

Regional hub???? What's their definition for regional hub?

It means EK, EY and QR to launch flights to the newly expanded KBR airport soon. Just like to Malacca airport, which nows sees EK doing a double daily.

It means EK, EY and QR to launch flights to the newly expanded KBR airport soon. Just like to Malacca airport, which nows sees EK doing a double daily.

:rofl: :rofl: Extend runway, build taxiways, expand terminal and voila, you get an instant "hab".

It is just a political milestones for politicians.

Announcing this and that, here and there, so people can vote during the election!

Agreed, we can see after next GE result either KBR will be regional hub or not for international flight. Maybe before GE, they can launch KBR-SIN-KBR first before move to others international routes.

He added that the better facilities would make the airport a regional hub for direct flights to Singapore or South Thailand

I suppose if someone uses the same aircraft to do KBR-KUL-anywhere else in the world, you can by some stretch of one's imagination claim it's a direct flight from KBR :p

But is there really a demand for flights from Kota Bharu to southern part of our northern neighbour ? :D

Malaysian Airlines, AirAsia and FireFly make an average of five to 10 flights each from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Baru daily

There are on average twenty flights KUL/KBR daily ? :blink:

There are on average twenty flights KUL/KBR daily ? :blink:

Yup, current operator flights by MH (KBR-KUL), FY (KBR-SZB, KBR-PEN and soon KBR-MKZ) and AK (KBR-KUL)

IMG_1445.jpg

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Announcing this and that, here and there, so people can vote during the election!

I believe (eligible) people can already vote during elections

Such announcements though are (I suspect) meant to sway direction unto which the votes go to :D

With 2400m runway length, it is going to be 'weight restricted' to most of widebody jets. Coupled with a narrow taxiway and no turning pan at the end of both runways, this airport is good for narrowbody jets only.

KBR's international pax are mostly JED bound throughout the year and with present spec of the runway, I don't foresee any direct flight to/fro JED in a near future.

:hi:

With 2400m runway length, it is going to be 'weight restricted' to most of widebody jets. Coupled with a narrow taxiway and no turning pan at the end of both runways, this airport is good for narrowbody jets only.

KBR's international pax are mostly JED bound throughout the year and with present spec of the runway, I don't foresee any direct flight to/fro JED in a near future.

:hi:

Not to mention the terminal itself. While the current terminal, completed in 2002, is adequate for typical domestic traffic, it's going to be crowded during peak traffic period, especially during Hajj. Plus, the terminal simply was not designed to handle regular int'l traffic - they do not have immigration control, and their boarding lounge can be pretty crowded if there are two full flights (on A320/737) being handled simultaneously.

And if I'm not mistaken KBR doesn't (or no longer) have fuel farms, or does it?