MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ibrahim

Long-awaited Sibu Airport Terminal Expansion Project is ON (at last)!

Maybe high time to visit Sibu again. :-)

.ny

+++

July 10, 2006 12:41 PM

Sibu Airport Can Now Accommodate Airbus

SIBU, July 10 (Bernama) -- With the lengthening of its runway completed recently, the Sibu Airport can now accommodate bigger aircraft like the Airbus A320 series instead of just the Boeing 737.

The first airbus, an AirAsia flight AK 5260 from Kuala Lumpur with more than 100 passengers and piloted by Capt Fritzland and Capt Hashim, landed there at 9.05am Monday.

It returned to Kuala Lumpur with some 170 out of its maximun capacity for 180 passengers about half an hour later.

On hand to welcome the inaugural flight were AirAsia Sibu station manager S. Shanmugamnathan, Sibu Municipal Council deputy chairman Daniel Ngieng Kiong Ann and other invited guests.

Ngieng described the occasion as very historical and important as it ushered in a new era of the town becoming the air travel hub for more than 800,000 people in the state's central zone comprising the Sibu, Kapit, Sarikei and Mukah divisions.

Shanmugamnathan meanwhile told reporters that AirAsia had an overall plan to gradually phase out its Boeing 737 aircraft with the bigger and more economical Airbus.

He said Sibu was the latest town in the state to be served by its Airbus besides Kuching, Miri and Bintulu on their Kuala Lumpur routes.

He said the Sibu/Kuala Lumpur Airbus flight would leave here at 9.25am daily and added that the company was now operating three other flights daily by Boeing 737.

From July 25, AirAsia would also begin its first daily Boeing flight from here to Kuching which would leave at 10.35am and add another one from Aug 1 which would leave at 9.45pm.

Shanmugmanathan said AirAsia was prepared to increase the number of such flights depending on the demand.

-- BERNAMA

YEAHOO!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Welcome to the Swan City,Airbus A320!!! Hope that they're sending the Red Devil to Sibu!

It's good that the airport is being utilized by A320,unlike TWU,boastin that they can accomodate 747 and only 734 and AK 733 fly there all these days, :angry:

even AK A320 isn't present,and the new ILS equipped runway seem to be wasted as the last flight departs at 2200 if I'm not mistaken.But AK did something 'crazy' a few years back when they serve an extra flight for the festive season,TWU-KUL flight at around 3am. :clapping:

I think the runway is capable of accommodating A330. Anyway, good to see AK has finally used A320 to SBW. More choice for people in Sibu.

i think its time for me to book tat flight ? Raymond... can spot me or not ? hahaha

so what's Sibu Airport runway length? I dun think u need a much longer runway to accomadate A320 than that for B733. Even MyTravel A333 landed in Sandakan with 400++ pax :D

so what's Sibu Airport runway length? I dun think u need a much longer runway to accomadate A320 than that for B733. Even MyTravel A333 landed in Sandakan with 400++ pax :D

i was about to ask the same thing ;)

before AK could deploy their A320 to SBW few months ago, the company i worked with did the PCA ( pavement condition assesment) at the airport....AK request MAB to undergo the test at the airport...so i guess that AK is pretty happy with the runway condition there afterall..

Glad to hear that AK is now sending the A320 instead of Baby Boeings :lol: Now SBW do have interesting traffic nowadays...Always hoping that MH will send their A333 if there any extra flights for the festive season ^_^

..... the company i worked with did the PCA ( pavement condition assesment) at the airport .....

Fairul,

Can I assume you're with IKRAM ?

I've seen them testing on roads around Kota Kinabalu as well (yes, during peak hours too - imagine the chaos !) Obviously not commisioned to assess the road that collapsed at Sepangar recently !

Fairul,

Can I assume you're with IKRAM ?

I've seen them testing on roads around Kota Kinabalu as well (yes, during peak hours too - imagine the chaos !) Obviously not commisioned to assess the road that collapsed at Sepangar recently !

I'm not working with IKRAM...work with other company..but we do the same thing as IKRAM do..i.e testing

I'm not working with IKRAM...work with other company..but we do the same thing as IKRAM do..i.e testing

OK noted - thanks for clarifying :)

At last... :clapping:

Work on Sibu Airport Terminal to start soon

By Philip Wong

Federal govt has approved project with first allocation of RM75 million under second package stimulus: Lau

SIBU: Deputy Minister for Housing and Local Government Datuk Robert Lau Hoi Chew was confident that the extension work on Sibu Airport Terminal will start soon.

Lau said the federal government has approved the project with the first allocation of RM75 million to be released soon under the second package stimulus.

“If everything goes as planned, it will not be long before work on the extension commences.”

He said this at the opening of Kohler showroom at Jalan Lanang here yesterday morning.

Among those who turned up for the event were Derrick Tay, president of Asia Pacific Region Kitchen and Bath Group, Kohler Co; Crwn Idea advisor Yek Tiew Chiong; Crwn Idea (Bintulu) Sdn Bhd managing director Andy Yek; Crwn Idea Miri branch manager Eric Yek and Crwn Idea Sibu branch managing director Marcus Yek.

Lau said he has no idea when the tender would be called but was confident it would be implemented soon.

He said Sibu Barisan Nasional team under the leadership of Second Finance Minister Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh had worked hard to get the approval for the extension of Sibu Airport Terminal.

“Wong (Dato Sri Wong), myself and Sibu Municipal Council chairman Datuk Tiong Thai King have seen the prime minister and deputy prime minister and the duo promised to look into the project as a priority in Sibu.”

Lau said he will make sure the extended airport becomes one of the most environment friendly in Malaysia with escalators, lifts and other basic amenities.

“We have already relayed the basic requirements to the designers and hopefully, when completed, Sibu Airport Terminal will be ranked one of the most friendly in the country.”

Earlier Lau said Kohler was a brand in US known for its quality innovatively-designed and environment-friendly kitchen and bathroom products.

He said American culture may not always be applicable here but when it comes to products, there is lot for us to emulate, and he was certain that Kohler could improve the quality of life for users of its products.

Article from The Sunday Post-www.theborneopost.com

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

oh no, don't tell me it'll be the 'swan-like' airport... akai inai...

Yes it is...it's the 'swan-like' airport.

I think the project had started;if you notice the construction site on the ATC Tower site:

DSCN2872.jpg

(sorry for the pic quality;the weather at that time was wet)

I think the project had started;if you notice the construction site on the ATC Tower site:

DSCN2872.jpg

(sorry for the pic quality;the weather at that time was wet)

My first time seeing STOP text alongside BERHENTI in Malaysia. Is this common in Sarawak or I just don't travel intraMalaysia enough?

i think it is only one in SIBU ...

coz i also nvr seen this b4...

btw, yea i saw it too at 9/2/2009

Edited by prosibu

airport-1.jpg

SWAN-like airport??? Hahaha! Would love to see SBW new terminal...

Hehehe,honestly i really like the proposed design of SBW new terminal..Lain dari yang Lain! (Different than others!)

Since SBW is a sister City to FOC,perhaps it's FOC Chengle Airport wannabe :rolleyes: