MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
kinkajou

Becoming a pilot

I'm currently doing A-levels (ARTS,also taking mathematics) and I'm thinking of doing piloting(commercial airline) after A-levels.

I'm thinking of getting into the pilot cadet program (if there are any) from AirAsia or MAS with my A-levels results(I didn't get an A for SPM in maths,but I got an A for a-levels,weird right).

My main concern is my eyesight, 700/450 right/left eye power and 100 astigmatism on both eyes,I'm wearing contacts.With this as my main liability,should I withdraw my dream on being a pilot?

Hi,

Hopefully, I can answer your question and offer you advice at the same time. With regards to your eye-sight - it doesn't look all that good - but I'm no doctor - so my best advice to check if you are medically fit, is to visit a DAME (Designated Aviation Medical Examiner) for a FULL check to see whether you qualify for a "CLASS 1" medical - a requirement for ALL CPL/ATPL holders (i.e. Airline pilots in short).

Here is a link to the DCA registered DAME list:

http://www.dca.gov.my/Division/Flight_Operation/notices/AIC%2009-2004%20-%20Aviation%20Medical%20and%20List%20Aviation%20Doctor.pdf

Also, think about a university/college programe post-SPM - always good to have a fall back plan and you're still young! That's what I did and I have no regrets. Do your flying after this if possible :) don't worry, if your hearts in it, the years will go by quickly!

All the best, and hope i've been of some help.

Regards

Hi,

Hopefully, I can answer your question and offer you advice at the same time. With regards to your eye-sight - it doesn't look all that good - but I'm no doctor - so my best advice to check if you are medically fit, is to visit a DAME (Designated Aviation Medical Examiner) for a FULL check to see whether you qualify for a "CLASS 1" medical - a requirement for ALL CPL/ATPL holders (i.e. Airline pilots in short).

Here is a link to the DCA registered DAME list:

http://www.dca.gov.my/Division/Flight_Operation/notices/AIC%2009-2004%20-%20Aviation%20Medical%20and%20List%20Aviation%20Doctor.pdf

Also, think about a university/college programe post-SPM - always good to have a fall back plan and you're still young! That's what I did and I have no regrets. Do your flying after this if possible :) don't worry, if your hearts in it, the years will go by quickly!

All the best, and hope i've been of some help.

Regards

Thanks for the help.

Besides my eyesight I don't think I have any other physical problems.

And I've read that you might conduct these tests with corrections(I wear contacts)? Is that true?

Thanks for the help.

Besides my eyesight I don't think I have any other physical problems.

And I've read that you might conduct these tests with corrections(I wear contacts)? Is that true?

With and without, expect both :) Recommend you wear glasses on the day\

With and without, expect both :) Recommend you wear glasses on the day\

What about contacts? Hmm... I feel like wearing contacts to the medical exam.

Aww the eyesight problem is giving me a headache.

What about contacts? Hmm... I feel like wearing contacts to the medical exam.

Aww the eyesight problem is giving me a headache.

Dear Kinkajou,

Although I don't wear glasses, everytime when I go for my Class 1 medical the question they ask is whether I wear contacts or not. I recommend wearing your glasses for your medical check. Or to play safe, ring up one of the DAME and ask whether you should wear your glasses or contact lenses.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have another question. I'm just starting the AS at the end of september and A2 is on June 2011 for me,should I continue A-levels or leave it after AS and get into the pilot program next year?

I'm kind of worried because I didn't take Physics for SPM,I only did Add Maths and Maths,I'm also taking Maths/Stats for A-levels,how relevant and important is physics to get into the program?Is SPM General Science enough? Is the subject Physics,stated in the requirements important? Cause what I'm thinking is (might be naive) that if I could do A-level Maths how hard could SPM Physics be? =X

Edited by kinkajou

I have another question. I'm just starting the AS at the end of september and A2 is on June 2011 for me,should I continue A-levels or leave it after AS and get into the pilot program next year?

I'm kind of worried because I didn't take Physics for SPM,I only did Add Maths and Maths,I'm also taking Maths/Stats for A-levels,how relevant and important is physics to get into the program?Is SPM General Science enough? Is the subject Physics,stated in the requirements important? Cause what I'm thinking is (might be naive) that if I could do A-level Maths how hard could SPM Physics be? =X

Hi Kinkajou,

Being a pilot is a great ambition. However, it is always good to make your decision with a series of "what-if" scenarios. Ask yourself what is your Plan B if you don't get to be a pilot for whatever reason, and do you have the right qualification for that Plan B.

As for your subsequent question, I did not take physics as well, and I now hold a CPL/IR. Having some physics background helps, but not a prerequisite to be a pilot. You can pick it up along the way. If you do your flight training in Australia, there are some flying school that even offer courses on physics and mathematics specifically tailored for aviation. As far as DCA is concerned, so long as you fulfill the SPM with 5 credits inclusive of English, Mathematics and a Science subject requirement, you're ok, unless they make any changes that I'm not aware of. Personally I didn't do SPM so I can't comment whether General Science is good enough. Maybe fellow Malaysian SPMers can comment and correct me if I'm wrong.

Physics for piloting an aircraft is not too difficult. If a person like me who almost flung all subjects in high school can now hold a CPL, you can too! I'm not suggesting it's as easy as a walk in the park. It's a lot of hard work and dedication and commitment. And you must have the interest. If you're interested in the subject, you will naturally want to go and find out more.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Hi Kinkajou,

Being a pilot is a great ambition. However, it is always good to make your decision with a series of "what-if" scenarios. Ask yourself what is your Plan B if you don't get to be a pilot for whatever reason, and do you have the right qualification for that Plan B.

As for your subsequent question, I did not take physics as well, and I now hold a CPL/IR. Having some physics background helps, but not a prerequisite to be a pilot. You can pick it up along the way. If you do your flight training in Australia, there are some flying school that even offer courses on physics and mathematics specifically tailored for aviation. As far as DCA is concerned, so long as you fulfill the SPM with 5 credits inclusive of English, Mathematics and a Science subject requirement, you're ok, unless they make any changes that I'm not aware of. Personally I didn't do SPM so I can't comment whether General Science is good enough. Maybe fellow Malaysian SPMers can comment and correct me if I'm wrong.

Physics for piloting an aircraft is not too difficult. If a person like me who almost flung all subjects in high school can now hold a CPL, you can too! I'm not suggesting it's as easy as a walk in the park. It's a lot of hard work and dedication and commitment. And you must have the interest. If you're interested in the subject, you will naturally want to go and find out more.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Lol you actually made me feel better there.I want to get a sponsorship from Air Asia or MAS that's why I think it'll be harder for me,as the fees for CPL training etc. is pretty high =\ ...

As for my eyesight,I might consider doing LASIK/Laser eye surgery,I hope everything goes well!

I definitely have the interest to be a pilot,although people might say it's a really bad job,I on the other hand think otehrwise!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Lol you actually made me feel better there.I want to get a sponsorship from Air Asia or MAS that's why I think it'll be harder for me,as the fees for CPL training etc. is pretty high =\ ...

As for my eyesight,I might consider doing LASIK/Laser eye surgery,I hope everything goes well!

I definitely have the interest to be a pilot,although people might say it's a really bad job,I on the other hand think otehrwise!

Some airlines may not want you to do lasik on your eyes so do check it out first before investing $$ on it. If you want to be a pilot then I suggest you take good care of your eyes and ears from now onwards. Go easy on your ipod.

Those people who say pilot is a really bad job tends to be those who can't be pilots.

Some airlines may not want you to do lasik on your eyes so do check it out first before investing $$ on it. If you want to be a pilot then I suggest you take good care of your eyes and ears from now onwards. Go easy on your ipod.

Those people who say pilot is a really bad job tends to be those who can't be pilots.

May not want me to do LASIK on my eyes? As in ... Let me get the CPL with glasses/contacts?

May not want me to do LASIK on my eyes? As in ... Let me get the CPL with glasses/contacts?

That's right. There's nothing wrong with flying with glasses. Contact lenses not recommended though. Air is rather dry up there.

That's right. There's nothing wrong with flying with glasses. Contact lenses not recommended though. Air is rather dry up there.

My eyes are definitely correctable to meet the requirements with glasses/contacts.

What if I wore contact lenses and brought glasses along? LOL I mean everything has a plan B. xD

I have to ask, what about those who have a Degree in something other than Science? Like myself, I have a Degree in Mass Communications, but my SPM was in Science (not bad grades, As and Bs). So is Cadet Pilot too much to hope, since in the requirement they said either SPM or Degree. Am I correct to assume they'll look at the higher qualification then?

I have to ask, what about those who have a Degree in something other than Science? Like myself, I have a Degree in Mass Communications, but my SPM was in Science (not bad grades, As and Bs). So is Cadet Pilot too much to hope, since in the requirement they said either SPM or Degree. Am I correct to assume they'll look at the higher qualification then?

That's what I was thinking about ;O Cause I kind of want to apply with my Cambridge A-levels results (I didn't do really well with Maths in SPM,for some reason,I got B's for both Math and Add math),I'm definitely working harder for my A-levels.

That's what I was thinking about ;O Cause I kind of want to apply with my Cambridge A-levels results (I didn't do really well with Maths in SPM,for some reason,I got B's for both Math and Add math),I'm definitely working harder for my A-levels.

Well according to the requirements for MH Cadet Pilots I got here, minimum B3 in Physics, Mathematics (although they didn't mention Add Maths) and English. Well, no worries then for you!

My eyes are definitely correctable to meet the requirements with glasses/contacts.

What if I wore contact lenses and brought glasses along? LOL I mean everything has a plan B. xD

Looks like you can't do without your contacts. I don't wear glasses / contacts, so I wouldn't know, but what I understand is that you constantly need to put eye drops otherwise the dry air will irritate your eyes. It's obviously a distraction you can do without, especially in critical stages of flights.

Yes, by all means bring spare glasses along. I bring a pair of spare sunglasses whenever I fly.

Well according to the requirements for MH Cadet Pilots I got here, minimum B3 in Physics, Mathematics (although they didn't mention Add Maths) and English. Well, no worries then for you!

Maths B+

Add Maths B+

General Science A-

English/1119 A+/A1

I hope Add Maths would contribute to that matter =\

I'm kind of afraid of getting the cert from DAME,medical stuff etc. lol.

I kind of have this heart disability(Not really a disability,it got better after birth) called VSD and it doesn't have any side effects and I'm 100% healthy,I even do extreme sports,the only difference is that my heartbeat creates a different sound.I hope this VSD doesn't crash my chances of getting that cert......OMG

Looks like you can't do without your contacts. I don't wear glasses / contacts, so I wouldn't know, but what I understand is that you constantly need to put eye drops otherwise the dry air will irritate your eyes. It's obviously a distraction you can do without, especially in critical stages of flights.

Yes, by all means bring spare glasses along. I bring a pair of spare sunglasses whenever I fly.

I've never really felt discomfort whenever I wear contacts(unless I wear it for 24 hours straight),but maybe flying would be different =\

I will! Thanks for the advice,you're awesome help.

Edited by kinkajou

Hi Fariz,

Educational background depends on who you are referring to. If you do your training in Malaysia, or you intend to fly with a Malaysian CPL, you have to meet the DCA SPM (or equivalent) requirement. They don't give a toss about your degree. I have a bachelor and a masters degree, yet I can't convert my licence because I don't have the SPM requirement.

After that you have to meet the airline requirement, and that depends on which airline you are applying to. For example Cathay will look at your degree if you don't have the necessary high school requirement. I suppose from their point of view is that if you are good enough to earn a degree, high school doesn't really matter that much, although it will still be part of their consideration I'm sure.

Hope that helps.

I hope so! The medical cert. would be an obstacle for me cause of my eyes =\. If they're stuff that require intelligence and stuff I have no problem with it,bring it on! LOL

I've never really felt discomfort whenever I wear contacts(unless I wear it for 24 hours straight),but maybe flying would be different =\

I will! Thanks for the advice,you're awesome help.

No worries. I'm trying to help those to achieve their dreams, just as I've achieved mine. Well, almost.

Hi Fariz,

Educational background depends on who you are referring to. If you do your training in Malaysia, or you intend to fly with a Malaysian CPL, you have to meet the DCA SPM (or equivalent) requirement. They don't give a toss about your degree. I have a bachelor and a masters degree, yet I can't convert my licence because I don't have the SPM requirement.

After that you have to meet the airline requirement, and that depends on which airline you are applying to. For example Cathay will look at your degree if you don't have the necessary high school requirement. I suppose from their point of view is that if you are good enough to earn a degree, high school doesn't really matter that much, although it will still be part of their consideration I'm sure.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that info, but I was thinking from a cadet pilot standpoint, especially for MH. I seriously can't afford to gain the licence using my own money.

If that's a problem, then well, all I can do is to imagine being a pilot on Flight Simulator X :D

Hi Fariz,

Hope that helps.

No worries. I'm trying to help those to achieve their dreams, just as I've achieved mine. Well, almost.

I hope we all furfil our dreams!

Thanks for that info, but I was thinking from a cadet pilot standpoint, especially for MH. I seriously can't afford to gain the licence using my own money.

If that's a problem, then well, all I can do is to imagine being a pilot on Flight Simulator X :D

LOL! That would be the same for me. Back to my Ace Combat days rofl

Don't forget there are cadet programs beyond our borders too. Cathay and SQ offer cadet scheme as well.

Hi Fariz,

Hope that helps.

Bro, really kah you cant convert your license because you dont have SPM requirement? Did they write to you on the requirements? Cause not all cadets in my ex-flying school were like top A1 students or something and they still did their ATPL papers. Hmm..

Well,just to share, talking about academic requirements for the airline, i have a batchmate who is 27 years old and his SPM results didnt meet the requirement for MAS, but he had a good degree and a good working experience for 6-7 years. Another batchmate is 26 and he has an engineering degree. SPM results would be very important if you are a fresh school leaver and probably if you are still in college or university. but if you have a degree and some workign experience it would really help,as they always look at your highest academic qualification.

I wear glasses, left and right eye power around 450, with 70 Astigmatism. When i went for the first medical check up, the doctor explained that for your first class 1 your eye power matters.i cant remember what the maximum power was. You will only know if you see a AME. But once you are selected, and when you are renewing your class 1 yearly in your career, there is no limitation to your eye power as long as you wear glasses and your eye is correctable to 6/60 .

Bro, really kah you cant convert your license because you dont have SPM requirement? Did they write to you on the requirements? Cause not all cadets in my ex-flying school were like top A1 students or something and they still did their ATPL papers. Hmm..

Well,just to share, talking about academic requirements for the airline, i have a batchmate who is 27 years old and his SPM results didnt meet the requirement for MAS, but he had a good degree and a good working experience for 6-7 years. Another batchmate is 26 and he has an engineering degree. SPM results would be very important if you are a fresh school leaver and probably if you are still in college or university. but if you have a degree and some workign experience it would really help,as they always look at your highest academic qualification.

I wear glasses, left and right eye power around 450, with 70 Astigmatism. When i went for the first medical check up, the doctor explained that for your first class 1 your eye power matters.i cant remember what the maximum power was. You will only know if you see a AME. But once you are selected, and when you are renewing your class 1 yearly in your career, there is no limitation to your eye power as long as you wear glasses and your eye is correctable to 6/60 .

it's 6/6 brenan. Good n clear explanation by the way.

I didn't do SPM because I was studying overseas and they deemed that qualification insufficient to convert. That's the "official" version anyway. I do have 2 university degrees and was working for an airline for 6 years.

Sign in to follow this