MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

AK to charge for counter check-in

Agree that AK has successfully tied themselves to low-cost (don't want to use the word cheap here) but one of these days your brother may just find out that some full service carrier may offer the same price or cheaper.

Exactly. These extra charges are a real nuisance. If you purchase early, premium carriers are often 'cheaper' (ie more value added). I managed to get better deals with MH, BR, CI compared to AK/AKX. For travel to Australia via SIN, you will often find QR and EK to have extremely enticing prices. Peace of mind in travelling long haul with premium carriers often outweigh the slightly lower price of LCC.

Exactly. These extra charges are a real nuisance. If you purchase early, premium carriers are often 'cheaper' (ie more value added). I managed to get better deals with MH, BR, CI compared to AK/AKX. For travel to Australia via SIN, you will often find QR and EK to have extremely enticing prices. Peace of mind in travelling long haul with premium carriers often outweigh the slightly lower price of LCC.

I agree. I value "peace of mind" when I'm travelling internationally. What also annoys me is that people who insist on using LCCs complain when things go wrong. Well, you chose to use a LCC knowing the kind of reputation they have so talk with your money and fly with a full-service airline. If things go wrong when you fly a full-service airline and they don't solve the problem properly for you then, you have a right to complain. I learnt this early on so that's why I don't fly LCCs any more.

19 September 2010 Last updated at 09:53 GMT

Southern Railway to axe toilets from new train

A train company has been branded a "disgrace" by union chiefs after it emerged some of its new fleet will have no toilets on board.

Southern Railway opted to forgo the facilities on its latest trains running on the Portsmouth to Brighton service.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers' union (RMT) called the decision "unacceptable" because of the one-and-a-half-hour-long journey.

from the BBC

So, you think the airline bean counters will latch on upon this eventually ? :D

Tony Fernandes' Tweet:

I paid 600 on MAS kl to singapore. Flight was delayed. Only got orange juice. Poor announcements. And why did I fly MAS. No seats on airasia

Moral of the story - not everyone can fly AirAsia, especially those who cannot plan their travels well in advance and need to do last minute bookings.

Edited by flee

Here's another "tweet"...(fictitious, of course)

Paid 100 on AK from KL to Singapore. Flight was cancelled. Got nothing. No announcements. Tried calling help line. Cost me 50 to get through. Told nothing they could do. Paid 200 for last minute hotel because I had nowhere to stay. And why did I fly Air Asia? Because they were supposedly cheap. Wish I'd gone with MAS...

To me TF's tweets are just reporting the situation. But yes, he is a show off in such situations - I remember he did the same when he could not get on the KUL-STN flights and had to go by SQ instead. But SQ treated him better in that episode...

But my main intention of posting the Tweet was to show that AirAsia is not for everybody. So, fly on the airline that most meet with your requirements.

I am actually more interested in the reasons TF chose MH instead of SQ/MI/3K/TR.

Well, he wouldn't earn any FF points with 3K or TR and SQ would be even more expensive than MH. I'd love to know if TF has an Enrich account... :finger:

Tony Fernandes' Tweet:

Moral of the story - not everyone can fly AirAsia, especially those who cannot plan their travels well in advance and need to do last minute bookings.

What about AK jump seat?

A few ways he could get on the plane.

- Get the guy seated on the jump-seat off the plane. Give the seat to your boss!

- Replace one of those air crew but he'll have to work.

Well, he wouldn't earn any FF points with 3K or TR and SQ would be even more expensive than MH. I'd love to know if TF has an Enrich account... :finger:

Thought I read somewhere his account was terminated, no?

A few ways he could get on the plane.

- Get the guy seated on the jump-seat off the plane. Give the seat to your boss!

- Replace one of those air crew but he'll have to work.

Thought I read somewhere his account was terminated, no?

LOL! I imagine it must be somewhat frustrating for TF. He has to be seen to be flying his own airline but he won't get to fly "proper" business class and earn lots of frequent flyer points like other CEOs. So, he has to make it look like he can't get any seats on his own airline and get seats on others. <_>

Based on TF's tweets,he just got only orange juice in the flight.This mean that he flew in economy class bacause bussiness class pax will get a light snack.Do you believe that a public figure like him fly in economy class?

Edited by dean hizudy

I think it's not about TF. It seems logic that he relate/tweeted on someone else experience. Let's admit that we do that too sometimes hehe :pardon:

I find it refreshing that there are as yet no reports of any retaliatory tweets nor facebook response from any of the MH bigwigs :good:

Based on TF's tweets,he just got only orange juice in the flight.This mean that he flew in economy class bacause bussiness class pax will get a light snack.Do you believe that a public figure like him fly in economy class?

My guess is that he needs to be in SIN by a certain time and MH was the only/ best option. And he couldnt leave earlier or later due to other commitments.

On the KUL-SINvv leg, it is not uncommon to see corporate big wigs flying in coach, as the smallish J cabins of the 734 or 320/319 (of MI) do become full quite easily.

(And SQ's 772/ 333 only operates 3x a day and that too, only during the weekdays - and 2 of those are after "office hours"). I've seen some corp chiefs head to the rear cabin due to last minute purchase and J was already packed.

Btw, did TF state that the orange juice was "free"? And he did not have to climb stairs to board the plane (I wished it was raining then)?

And, only orange juice? No more salted peanuts for KUL-SIN flights?

I don't think that matters to him. What class will he be flying if he took AK on a 50 min flight to SIN? When he is in the EU, he gets on EasyJet flights after he arrives in STN on D7. So I don't think he is bitching about whether he has Enrich points or not...

I think that he is trying to emphasise that he had to pay RM 600, whereas on other airlines, he gets a courtesy seat as CEO of another airline. He is also bragging the MH service ain't that great compared to his All Stars service...

OT - you just have to give it to TF. Not just for his entrepreneurship, but for the blatant below the belt tweet hit (as an airline CEO) on another airline. Very cordial indeed!

OT - you just have to give it to TF. Not just for his entrepreneurship, but for the blatant below the belt tweet hit (as an airline CEO) on another airline. Very cordial indeed!

Yes...and I remember when I tried to raise some concerns about AK's practises on their blog and it never got published! I wasn't even trying to be negative about AK. I just raised issues like free seating and my safety concerns with that practise, discriminating against disabled passengers for charging them to use wheelchairs and why when they charge for checked baggage that passengers don't get the same allowance as on full-service airlines! As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Anyway, does anyone notice the link of AK counter check-in fee (http://www.airasia.com/my/en/myflights/ccifee.html) no longer works? Also, I can't seem to be able to find anything regarding the airport counter check-in fee in their fee schedule. Does it mean they have abandoned the plan of implementing the fee?

What? Renege on ancillary income? They just want to hide it so passengers will get caught out and end up paying the fees... <_>

Sign in to follow this