MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

AK to charge for counter check-in

Wow, AK does listen to its passengers and they acted fast! Just look at the angers posted at their wall in Facebook when this news was first announced.

Yes, they do listen to feedback and investigate matters if there is a need to do so.

They need to continue to improve their web and kiosk check in to make it more reliable, pervasive and accessible at all their airports before they think about doing this again.

At least AK have learnt that they can't push passengers too far with rubbish like that. There will be a backlash and then they can say hello to lots of negative press!

Surprise, surprise, AirAsia has postponed this plan indefinitely...

:clapping: :yahoo: :good:

Bravo to consumers power! However, AK will find other way to increase their ancillary income.

:clapping: :yahoo: :good:

Bravo to consumers power! However, AK will find other way to increase their ancillary income.

At least they'll think twice before trying to implement something as offensive as charging people to check in at the airport! :finger:

I boycotted AK since it started to suck blood from a low income earner like me and since then I never regret.

Today, I only fly MH/FY and will only fly AK again in an emergency situation only .........

:hi:

I like to think I have a role to play in it...hahaha! Not by a mile!...

Whyever not ?

If someone who has lent his name to one of your planes makes a constructive suggestion, you very well sit up and take serious attention ....... :p

I boycotted AK since it started to suck blood from a low income earner like me and since then I never regret.

Today, I only fly MH/FY and will only fly AK again in an emergency situation only .........

:hi:

I may not be a low income earner but I still don't like having my blood sucked either! I haven't flown AK for a few years now too. :drinks:

Maybe they'll raise all air tickets prices across board. :p

I bet they're just waiting for this furore to die down before trying to implememnt it again. By then several other budget airlines will have done this, so they won't be seen as one of the first. <_>

This is the reason given on AK Facebook:

"... the charges has been postpone indefinitely until we have able to support all infrastructure in the airport that we served."

http://www.facebook.com/AirAsia?v=wall&story_fbid=474269047386

Bollocks! :angry: WHat infrastructure? Every airport has check-in counters and not everybody has internet. Are they going to wait until everyone has internet? I relly hate it when AK make up lies like this. Just tell the bloody truth for once! :finger:

Bollocks! :angry: WHat infrastructure? Every airport has check-in counters and not everybody has internet. Are they going to wait until everyone has internet? I relly hate it when AK make up lies like this. Just tell the bloody truth for once! :finger:

Maybe they want to make sure the airports are all equipped with self check-in kiosks? Last time I was at KBR (on Syawal 2) the airport had yet to be equipped with kiosks.

And BTW I did a dummy booking yesterday for KUL-KBR vv and found FY to be significantly cheaper than AK's. It has been a while since I last flew AK as I tend to find FY to be the same if not cheaper.

Maybe they want to make sure the airports are all equipped with self check-in kiosks? Last time I was at KBR (on Syawal 2) the airport had yet to be equipped with kiosks.

Probably. Instead of forcing all passengers to use web/mobile check-in, it would be good if passengers have the option to check-in at the airport using the self check-in kiosks.

And BTW I did a dummy booking yesterday for KUL-KBR vv and found FY to be significantly cheaper than AK's. It has been a while since I last flew AK as I tend to find FY to be the same if not cheaper.

Agree. The same applies to other routes as well. For e.g, for PEN-SIN vv, 3K, TR and even MH are often cheaper, if not significantly cheaper, than AK.

Agree. The same applies to other routes as well. For e.g, for PEN-SIN vv, 3K, TR and even MH are often cheaper, if not significantly cheaper, than AK.

The thing that really gets me about AK is that they are preying on the non-savvy traveller who doesn't know about these things and simply book with AK assuming that they're going to be cheaper simply because they are known as a LCC. :angry: I've done plenty of dummy bookings with AK and they're not always cheaper and, if they are, it's often not by much (well, amounts that I wouldn't consider significant anyway).

The thing that really gets me about AK is that they are preying on the non-savvy traveller who doesn't know about these things and simply book with AK assuming that they're going to be cheaper simply because they are known as a LCC. :angry: I've done plenty of dummy bookings with AK and they're not always cheaper and, if they are, it's often not by much (well, amounts that I wouldn't consider significant anyway).

Exactly. Most of my friends actually fall into that category. When I told them I booked my airtickets on MH/FY/3K/TR etc, their first comment was "Why didn't you book AirAsia? Cheap and good!" and I was like :mellow:

In fact, whenever I do medium/long haul, more often than not, I will choose MH/CX/TG, simply because D7 is cheap only if booked during their promo period, and the fares on the airlines I mentioned are just slightly more expensive, if not cheaper than AK-D7 combo. (I am not based in KUL, hence I would have to fly to KUL first before transferring to D7)

MH can actually use this situation to win some customers from AK. They should "educate" the public through TV, newspaper etc, and show them MH is actually not expensive compared to AK for popular routes. However, what they have at the moment is only this:http://apps.malaysiaairlines.com/valuecalculator/ValueCalculator.aspx

And to that I say kudos to AK as that means their branding and promotions leave a really big impact on customers. When people are looking for them for cheap fares, that shows they did something right in convincing the customers. I cannot stress more to my families and friends to check for other airlines if they booked their tickets, especially last minute, but most of the time they go straight to AK.com. And shouldn't MH be looking for or tapping the other type of customers? But then again Malaysians always go for the cheaper option.

Postponed? That mean this plan is still not totally cancel. Cannot feel happy too early.

Correct. First try failed. Now second try..

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/11/26/business/20101126082849&sec=business

AirAsia to charge passengers who check in at its counters

PETALING JAYA: AirAsia would start charging its passengers who check in at its counters within the next three months.

Web check-in is free but we will start charging counter check-ins within the next three months. We want to drive everyone to the website, Fernandes said In a teleconference on Thursday.

He did not disclose further details.

Charging passengers for checkin in at the counters is offensive! Well, people want cheap so they don't have the right to complain. If you don't like it, go to another airline. I do my talking with my money and AK will never get their hands on mine, even if their tickets are supposedly "free".

Charging passengers for checkin in at the counters is offensive! Well, people want cheap so they don't have the right to complain. If you don't like it, go to another airline. I do my talking with my money and AK will never get their hands on mine, even if their tickets are supposedly "free".

They will think twice later after future Firefly take their customer. :D

Sign in to follow this