MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

AK to charge for counter check-in

Very true Josh T.

I did some analysis by doing dummy booking to BANDUNG (BDO), one of the famous spot for Malaysians to shop till they drop and the price is as listed below:

KUL - BDO (19.11.2010)

BDO - KUL (21.11.2010)

MH = RM645 incl tax (free mysterious snackbox, seat allocation, 20kg luggage allowance)

AK = RM627 incl tax (after adding meals, seat booking, and 20kg luggage) and add another RM5 x 2 = RM10 for counter check-in service. Total is RM637.

MH is a bit expensive by RM8. Both airlines fly their 737 to BDO (AK can fly 320 there?). So it's up to the consumers to decide. As for me, I will definitely pay extra RM8. How about you?

MH's extra RM8? I think you forgot to add a hidden RM50 to AK's fare for the stress of departing and deplaning at the LCCT, which is usually a mess.

Very true Josh T.

I did some analysis by doing dummy booking to BANDUNG (BDO), one of the famous spot for Malaysians to shop till they drop and the price is as listed below:

KUL - BDO (19.11.2010)

BDO - KUL (21.11.2010)

MH = RM645 incl tax (free mysterious snackbox, seat allocation, 20kg luggage allowance)

AK = RM627 incl tax (after adding meals, seat booking, and 20kg luggage) and add another RM5 x 2 = RM10 for counter check-in service. Total is RM637.

MH is a bit expensive by RM8. Both airlines fly their 737 to BDO (AK can fly 320 there?). So it's up to the consumers to decide. As for me, I will definitely pay extra RM8. How about you?

So will I! I wouldn't even consider AK unless their fares were at least 20-30% cheaper. I said I'd consider it, not actually get it. :p

MH's extra RM8? I think you forgot to add a hidden RM50 to AK's fare for the stress of departing and deplaning at the LCCT, which is usually a mess.

Errrrrrrrrrrr extra 50?

where does the cost comes from?

clinic?

IKMAN

it is the cheapest one you can get. No matter it is GTD or Low fare....

Edited by affendi osman

Just a tip, never ever underestimate until you've flown with a LCC (or maybe AK in particular) and faced such a problem. You'll be shocked for yourself on how many times AK also had a separate plane waiting to take the pax to their scheduled destination. But hey, you're the consumer, and I totally agree that you have your own rights to choose and you're free to have your own opinion. :drinks:

I understand that. I suppose you hear all the time about LCC cancellations or other problems and passengers getting stranded. That's not to say that the same thing doesn't happen on full-service airlines but the risk is greater with LCCs and paying a little bit more for some peace of mind is well worth it in my opinion.

LOL! So true. I hate the LCCT. KLIA is so serene and clean. I love going through it rather than Changi too, where you have to walk until your legs fall off!

I actually prophesied this last month. My Post

Now, for BTU, TGG, BWN and JHB, you can only do self check in, no counter check in available.

For guests travelling to Bintulu, Kuala Terengganu, Johor Bahru & Brunei

Effective immediately Counter Check-Ins at Kuala Lumpur LCCT will no longer be available for flights to Bintulu, Kuala Terengganu, Johor Bahru (Senai) & Brunei (Bandar Seri Begawan). We would like guests to utilise our Web Check-In after this period.

For guest who wish to check-in their baggage, please proceed to the Baggage Drop-off counter at S13, S14, S15, S25, S26 and S27.

If there is no baggage to be checked, please make your way to the Departure Gates after Check-In.

Source

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

The old saying LCC = Low Cost Carrier not Low Price Carrier.

It is my experience it is always worth paying a small premium to fly MH or SQ. Look on it as insurance for when things go wrong.

I missed an SQ flight last year with just the cheapest non-rufundable no changes economy ticket. Went up to desk and they just put me on the next flight - no fuss and nothing to pay. Compare this with the response you'd get from an LCC!

Geoff

The old saying LCC = Low Cost Carrier not Low Price Carrier.

It is my experience it is always worth paying a small premium to fly MH or SQ. Look on it as insurance for when things go wrong.

I missed an SQ flight last year with just the cheapest non-rufundable no changes economy ticket. Went up to desk and they just put me on the next flight - no fuss and nothing to pay. Compare this with the response you'd get from an LCC!

Geoff

Now that you have mentioned this, the better airline is one that really takes care of you when something goes wrong. In such a situation, SQ, more often than not, trumps MH by a mile. AK? They're not even worth comparing to SQ.

Now that you have mentioned this, the better airline is one that really takes care of you when something goes wrong. In such a situation, SQ, more often than not, trumps MH by a mile. AK? They're not even worth comparing to SQ.

I have to agree that generally, service on the ground with SQ is better than MH but it does depend on where you are. MH have always been very helpful on the ground in Sydney more than in KL. I've also had run-ins with SQ in the past. Without a doubt, they both trump AK, and that in itself is worth the price difference.

The more savvy passengers seem to just accept this as the new reality - but at some point, I think consumers should vote with their Ringgits / Dollars and make it a point to go for other options. Airlines such as these have become so hooked on ancillary revenue and spend tonnes of energy dreaming up new fees. Among the fees that one pay on airlines such as Ryanair are fees for booking through the internet, payment via credit card, online check-in and counter check-in, seat assignment, priority boarding (to secure the overhead locker space), every single piece of checked baggage, sports / musical equipment ... you wonder when you might be charged for using the reading lights, toilets (Ryanair promises that this is already in the works), aircraft steps etc.

Don't give them more ideas..... <_ .. offence meant maybe tf read this forum as well...who knows>

It would hilarious if an airline did end up charging peple to use the toilets and then a pasenger urinated on the floor or on the seat because they didn't have the money on them to pay for the use of the toilet mid-flight!

Don't go giving them more ideas!

I'd say, let's come up with more creative ideas!

How about having everybody on board chip in for fuel? Pay enough, and you have enough fuel to the destination. Pay less, and you might end up ditching. That could be fun.

I'd say, let's come up with more creative ideas!

How about having everybody on board chip in for fuel? Pay enough, and you have enough fuel to the destination. Pay less, and you might end up ditching. That could be fun.

But we don't really know much about the calculation here. I'm about 50kg so most likely I'll choose to fly with kids!

Although I do not condone extra charges, however lets get creative. Lets see what can be charged:

• Check in at counter (soon)
  • Online check in
  • Double the charges for changing name, itinerary
  • Double the charges for extra baggages (both online and over the counter) and excess baggages.
  • 1st bag fee during non-peak season
  • 1st bag fee during peak season
  • 1st bag fee for popular tourist destinations
  • Every second or subsequent bags charges per kg carried.
  • Self check in at the kiosk
  • Using the staircase to get into the plane
  • Each toilet usage (charge per minute use)
  • Using toilet papers, tissue papers and hand shampoo usage
  • Each baby bassinet use (charges per hour)
  • Each carry on luggage with double charges for every extra weight: charge per milligrams
  • Each musical instrument carried
  • Using overhead compartments (as mentioned)
  • Carrying infant rollers and sports equipment
  • Using Oxygen mask during emergency
  • Using Oxygen release mechanism
  • Reading safety card
  • Reading the inflight magazine
  • Bring back admin fee (double it)
  • Priority Boarding fees (double it)
  • Hot seats selection (double it)
  • All pax must buy at least minimum of RM15 worth of merchandise or duty free
  • Double the food and beverages charges (eating nasi lemak at 40K feet is a whole new experiences, ok?)
  • Using cutleries to eat or drink

...to add to the list, the above charges will be charged per way/sector.

Now EVERYBODY CAN FLY LOW COST!!!!

Although I do not condone extra charges, however lets get creative. Lets see what can be charged:

• Check in at counter (soon)
  • Online check in
  • Double the charges for changing name, itinerary
  • Double the charges for extra baggages (both online and over the counter) and excess baggages.
  • 1st bag fee during non-peak season
  • 1st bag fee during peak season
  • 1st bag fee for popular tourist destinations
  • Every second or subsequent bags charges per kg carried.
  • Self check in at the kiosk
  • Using the staircase to get into the plane
  • Each toilet usage (charge per minute use)
  • Using toilet papers, tissue papers and hand shampoo usage
  • Each baby bassinet use (charges per hour)
  • Each carry on luggage with double charges for every extra weight: charge per milligrams
  • Each musical instrument carried
  • Using overhead compartments (as mentioned)
  • Carrying infant rollers and sports equipment
  • Using Oxygen mask during emergency
  • Using Oxygen release mechanism
  • Reading safety card
  • Reading the inflight magazine
  • Bring back admin fee (double it)
  • Priority Boarding fees (double it)
  • Hot seats selection (double it)
  • All pax must buy at least minimum of RM15 worth of merchandise or duty free
  • Double the food and beverages charges (eating nasi lemak at 40K feet is a whole new experiences, ok?)
  • Using cutleries to eat or drink

...to add to the list, the above charges will be charged per way/sector.

Now EVERYBODY CAN FLY LOW COST!!!!

LOL! Air Asia's new theme: Now everyone can fly...but it'll cost you!

LOL! Air Asia's new theme: Now everyone can fly...but it'll cost you!

Perfect!

Perfect!

PLUS

- RM10 for rubbish u dispose during rubbish collection

- to recline your seat-pls buy release pin @ RM10 to recline your seat

- Rm5 for trolley usage at LCCT

- Fast track immigration line RM50

- airport toilet Rm1 per entry

Take off fee pay by passenger

Landing fee pay by passenger

Aircraft parking fee pay by passenger

Luggage carry fee from aircraft to airport terminal if not carry it yourself

My brother who has ditched premium carriers for his leisure travels, responded like this when I told him about this charge : "So, check in online la... what is the big deal? You want cheap ticket, then be prepared to do something extra". The response really irritated me, but I am afraid this may be the sentiment of many others who opt to fly with LCC. It would be those who are have no choice (namely no online connection, unaware of policy) that will be slammed with this totally unnecessary extra charge.

My brother who has ditched premium carriers for his leisure travels, responded like this when I told him about this charge : "So, check in online la... what is the big deal? You want cheap ticket, then be prepared to do something extra". The response really irritated me, but I am afraid this may be the sentiment of many others who opt to fly with LCC. It would be those who are have no choice (namely no online connection, unaware of policy) that will be slammed with this totally unnecessary extra charge.

This is not clear. What about those who go for Kiosk Check in with printed boarding line who goes directly to the baggage drop? What about those doing the mobile check? Are they also slammed with the check in fee of RM5, given they have already checked in via a different way, not the counter check in?

Agree that AK has successfully tied themselves to low-cost (don't want to use the word cheap here) but one of these days your brother may just find out that some full service carrier may offer the same price or cheaper.

One more.

Have your picture taken with the cabin crew. Chargeable, of course. :yahoo:

Hold on, does this mean that all passengers who booked before Oct 6 have to pay to check-in at the airport? For example, my D7 flight from Melbourne on Nov 11? Or does this apply on bookings on or after Oct 6?

They should also sell seat 0C, higher class than First Class. Also flight deck visit is chargeable. :yahoo:

Sign in to follow this