MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sim Lim Shen

EK or QR

I am planning a business trip to the Middle East (Doha, Dubai, Kuwait) around mid November, and basically down to either Emirates or Qatar.

I have not flown both, so is there any recommendations?

Regards

Heard Doha can be quite boring... but Qatar's service is slightly better (from a friend who has flown both airlines).

Personally I would go for EK via DXB.

Assuming you are traveling in economy.. If you don't mind EK's 3-4-3 77W (I do..!!!), then take EK because they have better food, better IFE and better airport.

QR's food and IFE ain't far behind, but the airport is just terrible. Still, if connecting time is about 2 hours, it's not too bad.

I am extremely bothered by EK's 3-4-3 setting, and that's the main priority for me. So if I were you I'd pick QR.

I don't know which cabin class you will be flying (assuming economy?) but I share the same view with Jani - the seat width on Emirates 777 is far too tight for me. However, that is not to say it will bother you too. A friend of mine actually finds EK 77W to be a lot more comfortable than MAS 744. blink.gif I can't comment on Qatar as I have not flown with them. Most of my friends who tried them said they are better than Emirates except the transit at Doha Airport.

I guess on a business trip the flight timing will be a major decision making factor? Emirates does offer more flights than Qatar ex-KUL with minimum connection time at Dubai to other Gulf destinations. This will obviously make them more attractive than Qatar.

As for me, I would take Qatar as long as the timing is not too inconvinient and I don't have to spend too much time at Doha Airport. I would trade a few hundred tv channels over an extra 2" seat width anytime!

Edited by H C Chai

How about EY, Ethihad?

Tell me about EK's 77W 3-4-3 seats if you fly before I do. Well, I am not looking forward to it either, but then again I got it through a good deal, can't complain too much.

If you're looking for cabin comfort, better inflight service, or anything inflight go with QR

EK's inflight service has somewhat deteriorated or overrated, usually crowded flight

But DXB has got more things to do/see during transit & can also take metro to Deira City Centre, Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, Ibn Battuta Mall, etc, if you have ample transit time

DOH has no aerobridge & got almost nothing to see/do during transit

My opinion: QR > EK, but DXB > DOH. It's a see-saw choice to make.

But I'd go with EK because QR is only marginally better than EK, while DXB is WAY BETTER than DOH.

Edited by Arthur W.

Sim,

A few questions first:

- are you travelling Y-class or C-class ?

- how long is your transit-time if you go via DOH/DXB ?

You can trace back 2 trip-reports here, both C-class on EK (by T Azahan) and on QR (by me) for comparison...they were made almost at the same time too and of about the same length of miles (just Azahan's layover at DXB was way longer than mine at DOH)...

After your replies, I'll do my best to give you an advise (have flown both airlines in Y-class too)...

Never flown Oman, but have heard great stories about them, esp. in C-class...

QR over EK, anytime.

I've been on both and I find QR very comfortable and the crew are extremely friendly,consistently unlike EK which simply had crappy crew and were always busy chatting away amongst themselves. DOH may not be the best place to transit now due to the fact that the airport has and old style of bus-ing from the plane to the terminal but at least you get really close to some aircrafts. Its also not messed up like Dubai where people sleep on the walkways.

QR 1, EK 0 from me :)

Hi SLS,

Having flown both on my return trips to M'sia from the UK, I would fly QR. The only thing which I dislike about the journey is Doha airport. If you don't mind a bit of a stampede when you arrive in Doha to get into the terminal then QR. Dubai has a much better airport. The other option which you may want to consider as suggested by SVC is EY. Flown them a few times and have never been dissapointed. Again airport in AUH is not the greatest.

Good luck.

Just to chip in, if you need to work during the journey, all EK's Economy Class seats are equipped with power point each to its own. I have no idea about the seats onboard QR.

On the other hand, if you would like to rake in some Enrich miles, fly to DOH with QR by purchasing the ticket from MH (it's their code share flights with QR) but you have to buy separate tickets to DXB and KWI from there onwards. Alternatively, you could fly to KWI with EY on MH coded flight or better, to DXB and KWI from MCT with Oman Air using MH coded flights.

I have not flown with Qatar Airways - but quite few of my friends have and loved it - but I would not travel on the Emirates B777s if I am the one making the choice.

The 10-abreast seating is horrible, even for a person with a relatively small physique like me. I had a Caucasian passengers "overflowing" from his seat on my left and an even larger Arab one on my left. And as the crew came down the aisle with the service carts, you need to watch your elbow, shoulder, ear and head. And I am being very very nice when I describe the crew as being aloof. I did not get the feeling that the meal was served - it was more like being handed out, chucked in your face etc. If you happened to be sitting one seat or more away from the aisle, be prepared to s-t-r-e-t-c-h and put your cup for hot beverage in front of the crew standing in the aisle. He/She just stands there ram-rod straight - fearing that leaning forward by an inch will cause unsightly stretch-marks.

And as suggested by others before me, try Etihad. I keep hearing great things about this airline. But then again, if you choose to fly EK, it would be interesting to hear your feedback about its cabin and its crew.

KC Sim

Dear members,

Thank you very much for all the enthusiastic reply. To give you a background of the proposed trip,

I work in furniture industry, so the purpose of the trip is to visit some of our customers in Dubai, Kuwait, and Doha (and also to attend the trade show there). For your information, I will travel on Y class, as I always do.

I will be spending minimal time at the airport, as most of my time will be on the road visiting customers.

I have heard good things about QR and EK, but I too also heard some not so friendly comments about EK.

Does anyone know what the temperature is going to be like in the Gulf States around mid November?

I might sound bias since I'm based here in Doha, but I would go for QR if given the choice. The current airport might be crap and crowded, but being bussed (everytime) from the airport to the plane is definitely an awesome experience ( to me at least). Normally QR deploy A333 for DOH-KUL route and the economy class would be 2-4-2. It would be a bonus if its upgraded to 777-300ER which has 3-3-3 seating arrangement. The QR crews are friendly esp the Asians. If you're lucky enough, the Malaysian crew will make you feel at home by chit chatting with you in Malay (happened to me everytime with QR for DOH-KUL route).

I have nothing against Emirates or the other airlines, ie Etihad, Gulf Air. In fact, I've flown with the 3 mentioned airlines few times too for DOH-KUL-DOH route before.

Does anyone know what the temperature is going to be like in the Gulf States around mid November?

The weather in November here would be warm and bit windy. The day time temp would be around 25-35. It depends actually because the period from November to December the climate will change. Expect some light showers and perhaps sandstorm. Night would be bit chilly.

Edited by Fairul

For your information, I will travel on Y class, as I always do.

I will be spending minimal time at the airport

Thanks for answering my questions... :pardon:

Since your transit-times will be short, the worse DOH airport compared to DXB would not be a big disadvantage...note, the New Doha International Airport (NDIA) will be opened next year (don't know how long this stint of yours will last)...besides, being bused is always nice and will give you an experience of being real close to your airplane...

What would you prefer: 2-4-2 or 3-3-3 versus EK's 3-4-3 ? Especially, if you compare the fare aswell ?

Wishing you lot's of success with choosing... ;)

P.S. 5 years ago my flights were 1-EK 1-QR; now it's 1-EK 30+ QR: do I have to say more ?

Sign in to follow this