MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Guest Rahim Rani

RAMADAN - FAST BREAK IN MID AIR

Guest Rahim Rani

Hi,

Since now is Ramadhan month. I would like to see if any real pilot can give information on how to calculate break fast in mid air during Ramadan month. (Ramadan, the holy month for Muslims).

Hope you can share some informations and stories.

Regards...

As far as I know, if you are making a trip more than 100km you are "journey situation" (in Turkish "seferi" means who is being moving ). In this case fasting is discreation in person responsibility. Taking time from start point by daily fasting time is not reliable becouse if you fly(or move)west; according by sunset time fasting time would be increase, if you fly(or move) eastbound, fasting time would be decrease.

So I don't think so pilots can be calculate fasting break time fully correctly.

input coordinates + altitude, and the gps system can calculate exact sunrise/sunset times.

I go back to basic, when I see the sun is under the horizon, it is the time to break fast.

On widebody aircraft they have a chart for breaking fast based on coordinate and altitude, but even that involves a lot of guesswork as you need to know the location before you can get the timing, but the location will keep on moving.

Anybody can post the formula for calculation of sunrise, sunset and / or prayer times?

well..I agree with Capt.Radzi there..as soon as the sun is under the horizon,that's the visual cue..for the calculations of prayer times,it depends on quite a few factors and it also depends on which prayer times of the day..basically we need to know the (Lat) and (Long) of the area together with local time zone for that area (LMT)..by putting in all this info on the specific given chart,we can get the estimated time of the prayer times.. :D

here's a link for reference: http://www.tanzil.info/praytime/doc/calculation/

I'm no expert in the exact hukum hakam, so I opt for a practical approach instead of being technical about it. The last time I flew on KUL-LHR morning flight during Ramadan, I break fast mid-air based on the number of fasting hours, i.e. until Malaysian local time of around 19:30, although it was still daytime at that point (possibly near Ukraine). Otherwise, I would have had to fast for close to 20 hours if I were to wait for sunset in London. Ramadan is all about abstaining from food and other desires within a reasonable/normal amount of hours, and since time is 'distorted' when flying longhaul, I don't see why it has to be restricted by the exact time of sunset.

use i phone app...PFMA E6B...sunrise sunset calculator with altitude correction..helps me alot when passenger asking for prayer time..usd5 for this apps.

I'm no expert in the exact hukum hakam, so I opt for a practical approach instead of being technical about it. The last time I flew on KUL-LHR morning flight during Ramadan, I break fast mid-air based on the number of fasting hours, i.e. until Malaysian local time of around 19:30, although it was still daytime at that point (possibly near Ukraine). Otherwise, I would have had to fast for close to 20 hours if I were to wait for sunset in London. Ramadan is all about abstaining from food and other desires within a reasonable/normal amount of hours, and since time is 'distorted' when flying longhaul, I don't see why it has to be restricted by the exact time of sunset.

Another option will be to defer fasting to another day when one is not traveling.

Was on MH389 (Shanghai - KUL)this week , and the Capt there managed to calculate the break fast time to 6.27pm (accurate to the minute!). After which the Cabin Crew began to serve meals to the Muslim passenger , approx 1 hour after we had ours

Ramadan is all about abstaining from food and other desires within a reasonable/normal amount of hours, and since time is 'distorted' when flying longhaul, I don't see why it has to be restricted by the exact time of sunset.

I like this approach. I don't know the origins of the sunrise-sunset rule, so I am just guessing here - in those days when watches and clocks are not easily available, if the intention is to fast for half a day, then sunset is a reasonable and practical implementation of the intention. To follow the rule blindly causes problems not just for travellers (solved by excusing them), but also for people who live in the far north or south for example (very long fasting times in summer but very short, kinda purposeless fasting times in winter).

Anyway, I flew KL-Penang once during sunset and the captain announced the time thus allowing us to devour our biscuit and drink our orange juice.

Guest Rahim Rani

For all who share their knowledge & experiences, thank you very much. Really appreciate it. Happy Ramadhan for muslims and have a good day ahead for the rest...cheers.