MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Joseph Foong

The procedure of turn around

Dear MW members

I just would like to ask all the experts here, in what condition the pilot will make turn around about 360 degree which is around the airport airspace area and what the procedure in order to proceed the following turn around ?

Don't quite get the question... but a 360 might be a hold for traffic or to lose altitude if they're coming too high? hehe

the turn around or what other calls it the holding pattern might be due to traffic or to lose some of your altitude..the procedure is fairly simple,standard holding pattern is always right turns,otherwise stated on your chart or governs by the ATC.during the old days,we used to have the so called 'holding stacks' where aircraft are holding like 'UNO STACKO' while waiting their turn to make an approach to land..haha..u'll come across later with the holding entry,holding speeds etc.

maybe someone can add more from my reply.. :D

Too much of Airport Madness ? :p

Haha, Maybe i getting the influence by the Airport madness.. But seriously since Rwy 14 in use on past few days, i had notices that many of the approaching level air traffic are requested to proceed turn around when during the peak hours.. That is why bring out this questions. :rolleyes:

Edited by Joseph Foong

Joseph, 360 degree truns as known as "ORBIT" which is seperatly from "HOLDING". HOLDING points are describes on necessary airport charts and every holding points has own itself enter and exit procedure by incoming direction. (one of 4 enter types in a holding). Orbits are just only order by air traffic controller which is when needed by getting under traffic control or safety. Orbit points are not describe on charts and ATC maybe order anytime in anywhere with " ABC123 make an orbit right hand side(or left hand side) due traffic seperation". When ATc gives that order, they know your speed, altitude and position is available for making to do. Generally this order does work for getting better seperation between two aircraft, or waiting for a VFR traffic for approach queue between IFR/airliner traffics. In this case ATC can be give order to a VFR traffic example "9M-ABC make right hand side orbits east of airport 2 nm out , I'll call you for short final for visual approach rwy 14L". Order format can be change in depends on traffic situation or by countries by orbit order can be use almost all airports when necessary.

Turn around normally means the process of receiving the aircraft on ground and preparing it for flying again. basically, all that need to be done between landing and next takeoff.

Thanks for all experts here, who very willing to explain about the holding point for the air traffic questions, now i can understand about it, by the way i still got many question needed all the experts here for helping me. Thank You to all the master here :clapping:

Sign in to follow this