MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H C Chai

Royal Brunei offers "domestic" flights between BKI, KUL & KCH

This may seem bizarre, but it is true! Flights between the three Malaysian cities served by Royal Brunei - Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur and Kuching, are now bookable via the airline's website. These routes may have been bookable some time ago, but I am pretty sure it is only until recently that Royal Brunei has started promoting them on their Malaysian site.

http://www.bruneiair.com/malaysia/

Screenshot2010-08-08at110610.png

Screenshot2010-08-08at165021.png

At first glace, their fares seem to be unbelievably low for a non-LCC. A dummy booking proved that these fares are in fact too good to be true - they are shown exclusive of taxes and surcharges. BKI - KCH return, for example, advertised as RM90 return is in fact close to RM350 all inclusive.

Screenshot2010-08-08at113144.png

Screenshot2010-08-08at171206.png

With such fare and lousy frequency/timing (some flights have long layover and may include a night stop at BWN), I don't think neither MH or AK will feel threatened. Nevertheless, it is interesting to know that we now have a "third" option of flying between KUL, BKI and KCH. ;)

Any takers? I wonder if one needs a passport in order to perform these flights.

transit may be a problem here. Most would prefer a direct route.

Thats an interesting development. Before this, it cannot be done online. I'm wondering if there's a legal backdoor that allows the sale of domestic flights via another country by a non-local airline.

Perhaps a scrutiny of the taxes and surcharges will reveal some finer details, such as if Brunei airport tax is charged (which shouldn't be, if it is a transit through fare.)

Passport is required for transit in BWN, as technically you're flying 2 legs of international flights between 2 countries.

Second reason is (touchwood!) in case there is AOG B)

Passport is required for transit in BWN, as technically you're flying 2 legs of international flights between 2 countries.

Actually, if all goes well, there is no need for a passport at transit point

I've done BKI to KUL both via BWN and SIN without needing to flash my little maroon book

Good point about the AOG scenario though - goodness knows what would have had happened to me if we had been grounded overnight. SIN I think would have been a treat, BWN something else :D

Reminder to all about passport, :clapping:

Actually, if all goes well, there is no need for a passport at transit point

I've done BKI to KUL both via BWN and SIN without needing to flash my little maroon book

Good point about the AOG scenario though - goodness knows what would have had happened to me if we had been grounded overnight. SIN I think would have been a treat, BWN something else :D

In previous yrs where MH routed KUL to BKI or KCH vv via SIN, there's always the potential "threat" of being stranded at SIN without a passport for domestic pax, notwithstanding the many flights to "evacuate" the stranded pax. But like BC Tam said, there are tons to do at Changi (without necessarily spending anything), but a mental torture at BWN (which is a really third world airport, if you check out the appalling conditions of its toilets in the holding area).

Overall, an interesting development that BI is officially offering the domestic link via a through fare. So, perhaps, this will be one of the ways to get on a B777 to BKI, now that MH will soon stop 777 services to Japan via BKI.

Also, if you look at the BI schedules, quite a bit of the connections require an overnight at BWN, either way. Will hotel be provided at BI's expense?

Also, if you look at the BI schedules, quite a bit of the connections require an overnight at BWN, either way. Will hotel be provided at BI's expense?

Perhaps a way to generate business for those few day-use rooms they have in area adjacent to the washrooms ? :D

Last time I was there, I was tempted to try out novelty of paying for a room by the hour ;)

from KUL to BKI one need to transit for almost 18 hours. I'd rather pay more, and arrive earlier at the destination

Depart:

22:05

Arrive:

00:25

Wednesday, 25 August 10

Kuala Lumpur , MY (KUL)

Thursday, 26 August 10

Bandar Seri Begawan , BN (BWN)

Royal Brunei Airlines

Non-Stop / BI 876

Cabin: Economy / Airbus A319

flight info

Connecting Flight

Depart:

18:35

Arrive:

19:15

Thursday, 26 August 10

Bandar Seri Begawan , BN (BWN)

Thursday, 26 August 10

Kota Kinabalu , MY (BKI)

Royal Brunei Airlines

Non-Stop / BI 827

Cabin: Economy / Airbus A320

Perhaps a scrutiny of the taxes and surcharges will reveal some finer details, such as if Brunei airport tax is charged (which shouldn't be, if it is a transit through fare.)

Good point... looking at the surcharges for KCH - BWN - BKI & vv, they are made up of RM192 fuel surcharge (US$60) and RM76 taxes. The taxes consist of 1x KCH departure tax (RM26), 1x BKI departure tax (RM26) and 2x BWN departure tax (B$5 x 2 = B$10 or RM24). Makes little sense since passengers are not required to pay airport tax at for transit in BWN.

Edited by H C Chai