MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH in Apples, AK in Berries

They said 'mobile' is the way forward.

On a very rare occasion, our 'glorious' 5 star flag carrier has created a positive buzz in the aviation industry by becoming among the very first airlines in the entire world, which utilised Apple products and applications as sales channel.

http://mobile.malaysiaairlines.com/

This is the demo on how to use MH's free application using the iPhone, which MH dubbed as an augmented reality experience.

During the airline's 39th Annual General Meeting on 21 June 2010, it was revealed that MH will utilised the recently launched and a current worldwide sensation - the iPad - as a sales channel. And guess what, it has already being implemented at MH's ticketing office in KL Sentral. Here is the demo on how to use the iPad MHKiosk.

iPad MHKiosk is the world's first kiosk to sell airline tickets using the Apple iPad.

I sure hope this interesting development between MH and the ever engaging Apple products and applications will help the airline to win back the battles it has lost in the past. This could be the thing that will catapult MH back into the game. We shall see.

For once, when it comes to technology, AK is pale by comparison. But then again, I sense a 'counter attack' is imminent.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?pid=6796748&id=18801397386&comments

Looks like AirAsia is not going to lose out, from their FB page, think they're gonna introduce an Air Asia App soon.

AirAsia Hi Guys this is a sneak view of what we are going to introduce this early September. It will come with Brand new Mobile Check in function. Stay tuned

Ipad is cost effective, friendly and perfect for touch screen interface.

Kudos MH to lead in IT for a change :good:

Hope MH will also improve their website. I feel that should be priority as it's one of the main access for people. Their website is still not so "smart". Very frustrating when booking connecting flights. Many more can be improved.

Since MH chose Apple, it is just natural that AK chooses the Berry to launch its smartphone application.

capture0_46_34.jpg?w=480&h=360

AirAsia application is now available for BlackBerry users.

The world’s best low-budget airline AirAsia has just released their new application for BlackBerry. In their e-mail, they said, “This application is for ‘Demo’ purposes only it has no direct connection to the live AirAsia systems. It currently points to a test server. Please take the time to browse through its functions.”

So far, in demo version, it seems that the application is easy to navigate. Step-by-step instruction is clear and whoever familiar with web-version of AirAsia website would also find the same menu in BlackBerry application. Main menu: Book a Flight, My Bookings, Mobile Checkin, Boarding Passes, Flight Status and About.

Read more here. http://kristupa.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/airasias-new-application-for-blackberry/

Although MH was among the first airlines that introduced the 2D mobile boarding passes, the implementation of it was not pursued in a serious manner.

Take a look at this demo of Qantas' Next Generation Check-in Experience to educate their travelers on how to use the airline's latest mobile and IT offerings to the maximum. The demo includes a 2D mobile boarding pass, a self service check-in kiosk, a self service baggage drop counter, a smart card frequent flyer card and a smart luggage tag. Among the 5, only the first 2 are offered by MH for the time being.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/next-generation-checkin/global/en#/intro

I hope MH can do something similar on their website and promote and educate their travelers to travel 'mobile' and savvy.

I am particularly impressed with the smart card that replaced the frequent flyer card that is being used to check-in and the smart luggage tag that is being used for baggage drop service for premium travelers. Quite a simple but genius invention.

Although MH was among the first airlines that introduced the 2D mobile boarding passes, the implementation of it was not pursued in a serious manner.

Take a look at this demo of Qantas' Next Generation Check-in Experience to educate their travelers on how to use the airline's latest mobile and IT offerings to the maximum. The demo includes a 2D mobile boarding pass, a self service check-in kiosk, a self service baggage drop counter, a smart card frequent flyer card and a smart luggage tag. Among the 5, only the first 2 are offered by MH for the time being.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/next-generation-checkin/global/en#/intro

I hope MH can do something similar on their website and promote and educate their travelers to travel 'mobile' and savvy.

I am particularly impressed with the smart card that replaced the frequent flyer card that is being used to check-in and the smart luggage tag that is being used for baggage drop service for premium travelers. Quite a simple but genius invention.

I see that you've done some publicity for QF here

It is very impressive indeed.

From Facebook:

AirAsia

Hi guys, finally! The wait is over! The AirAsia BlackBerry app is ready for download.

Go on, give it a try and let us know what you think of the app!

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/12237

AKBerry.jpg

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

From Facebook:

AirAsia

Hi guys, finally! The wait is over! The AirAsia BlackBerry app is ready for download.

Go on, give it a try and let us know what you think of the app!

Would like to share the apps here...Just my 2 cent of trying...

Here some comments left by user after they try it...

munch_2010_10_31_115633.jpg

munch_2010_10_31_115752.jpg

and its true,

munch_2010_10_31_115823.jpg

The apps still can't provide the time depart, arrive from airport A to airport B and gate when it arrive at airport B...

The interface:-

munch_2010_10_31_115917.jpg

Doing some dummy booking, 8 steps to complete purchasing...

munch_2010_10_31_120213.jpg

Selection please:-

munch_2010_10_31_120310.jpg

munch_2010_10_31_120348.jpg

Agree with the ticket price, then can proceed :-

munch_2010_10_31_120447.jpg

As usual, Xtra revenue :-

munch_2010_10_31_120646.jpg

I skip the MYR15 for insurance 'page', after that, if you wish select to select your seat:

munch_2010_10_31_120854.jpg

munch_2010_10_31_120925.jpg

And as your request:-

munch_2010_10_31_121755.jpg

On last step,

munch_2010_10_31_121858.jpg

munch_2010_10_31_121935.jpg

Finish...I can't view what will be next since I just doing dummy booking.

When the apps detact some error:

munch_2010_10_31_121045.jpg

For mobile check in page:

munch_2010_10_31_122037.jpg

munch_2010_10_31_122059.jpg

Personally, I never try another apps so far, so can't comment so much...But I believe using this apps much easy than using normal online booking/purchase...The only thing is, can be trusted made purchase via phone?? Ya some BB or apples apps need to purchase if want to use, but can be trusted and realiabe??

That all, thank you. :) :) :)

All these booking via ipad or whatever to me is just very gimmicky. For me, spend the money in PROPER upgrading of their legacy and IT system to be more efficient.

Just downloaded an application for the MAS Going Places Inflight Magazine on the iPad from the Apple iTunes App Store.

Looks like they have separated the magazine from the Select inflight entertainment guide and the MH general info. I guess this is to improve the download time.

Saw a couple of videos in the magazine. One is on the 738. The other on the Panamera. Cool.

MH going places.