MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Malaysia Airlines Offers More Direct Flights To Sydney And Brisbane

They can't do anything about the night service's departure time eh? Not a great arrival time, at 3.20am

Yeah.. why must arrive at 3.20am? Must the aicraft go somewhere before 5am?

Let's refine this piece of news.

Current schedule:

KUL-SYD

Arrives 1 hour later from 03 Oct

- - 1234x6x Dep 0900 Arr 1850 MH141 772 CY NONSTOP

- - 1234567 Dep 2210 Arr 0800+1 MH123 744 FCY NONSTOP

SYD-KUL

- - 1234567 Dep 1400 Arr 2030 MH122 744 FCY NONSTOP

- - 1234x6x Dep 2020 Arr 0545+1 MH140 772 CY 1 STOP (in BNE)

New schedule:

KUL-SYD

- - 1234567 Dep 0900 Arr 1955 MH141 772 CY NONSTOP

- - 1234567 Dep 2240 Arr 0935+1 MH123 744 FCY NONSTOP

SYD-KUL

- - 1234567 Dep 1540 Arr 2050 MH122 744 FCY NONSTOP

- - 1234567 Dep 2155 Arr 0320+1 MH140 772 CY NONSTOP

So, this news is actually telling us that there will be 14 weekly non-stop KUL-SYD-KUL flights from 31 October 2010 onwards, which is a huge improvement from the present 7 weekly (as the remaining 5 flights on the B772 flight MH 140/141 is operated in a triangular KUL-SYD-BNE-KUL manner). BNE will be de-tagged from the SYD-KUL routing for flight MH 140/141.

The new schedule for BNE is:

KUL-BNE

- - 1x3x567 Dep 0940 Arr 1955 MH135 330 CY NONSTOP

BNE-KUL

- - 1x3x567 Dep 2350 Arr 0610+1 MH134 330 CY NONSTOP

SYD is now served 14 weekly non stop from KUL using B744 and B772, while BNE is now served 5 weekly non stop from KUL using A330.

Due to curfew at Sydney Airport.

Curfew at Sydney airpiort starts at 11pm. The summer schedule is even more annoying! The flight leaves SYD at 8:20pm and arrives in KUL at 3:00am! The timing would be much more reasonable if the flight left SYD at 10:20pm (which leaves plenty of time for unexpected slight delays) in order to arrive into KUl at 5:00am.

They can't do anything about the night service's departure time eh? Not a great arrival time, at 3.20am

If they can't do anything about departure time, how about reducing the cruise speed? If I am not wrong, this can save some kerosene at the same time.

Not sure if this works though..

Anyway, back to the A$599 special...

That is so cheap! It's worth getting that just for a weekend away. I checked the MH site and they haven't advertised it yet...but I'll definitely be checking on Monday. :good:

If MH listened to pax and local stations a few years ago, MH need not flip flop and lost substantial market share on this route. What make sense on paper may not necessary practical.

If MH listened to pax and local stations a few years ago, MH need not flip flop and lost substantial market share on this route. What make sense on paper may not necessary practical.

They have a monopoly on this route - so their market share is 100%

Perhaps you meant that pax who do not wish to travel by MH for various reasons might fly on other airlines via SIN or BKK?

What about AirAsia X on this sector, slimmer now?

D7 is still trying to barge her way past the Malaysian licensing authorities into SYD, don't think she has even got her foot into the doorway yet

Hence, market share presently is an ultra slim 0% :p

Thanks BC Tam. According to Osran of AirAsia X via FB, he told me that Sydney and Auckland still waiting for respective approval, no North American sector on sight as yet and 3 new routes in 2011. Wonder where?

Edited by Eugene Koh

MH used to operate 2 times sometime back before? As if MH only needed 1 daily flight n now 2 daily for the time being - wonder how to fill its A380 to SYD as then likely just 1 x daily with the A380.

Woohoo! :yahoo: I just scored myself flights for A$600! The outbound had to be on MH140 but I got the return on MH123. I initially thought it was only supposed to be on MH140/141. I think these are the cheapest tickets I've ever managed to get on MAS. :drinks:

They have a monopoly on this route - so their market share is 100%

Perhaps you meant that pax who do not wish to travel by MH for various reasons might fly on other airlines via SIN or BKK?

I think when you talk about the Australia routes, you need to consider the whole kangaroo routes, i.e., Europe to Australia. You can't fill up European routes and Australia routes by Malaysian traffic only. Most of the market share that MH lost is I believe due to the passengers transiting in the middle east instead.

Well, Sydneysiders may be rejoicing, but woe for us in Brisbane.

Swapping down from B777 on an ageing A330, no flat beds, just 5" of recline in so-called Golden Club Class. This is an overnight flight, 8:20, so it's not just a short flight to put up with.

Why, oh why, Brisbane has always been a good market for MH, our planes are usually full in C cabin, out of 35, not surprising to find upwards of 30 seats taken. GRRRRR! Not Happy Jan!

Edited by Lemuel Tay

Well, Sydneysiders may be rejoicing, but woe for us in Brisbane.

Swapping down from B777 on an ageing A330, no flat beds, just 5" of recline in so-called Golden Club Class. This is an overnight flight, 8:20, so it's not just a short flight to put up with.

Why, oh why, Brisbane has always been a good market for MH, our planes are usually full in C cabin, out of 35, not surprising to find upwards of 30 seats taken. GRRRRR! Not Happy Jan!

I don't know if I'd be rejoicing when the overnight flight from Sydney arrives into KL at 3am! <_ and yes even though the brisbane service has been downgraded to old a330 you guys will get brand new a330s when they arrive we still be stuck with b777s. mind i suppose getting a380s... src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_drinks.gif" alt=":drinks:">

MH have finally come to their senses about the timing of MH141 from SYD to KUL! :yahoo: They've just revised the departure time from 8:20pm to 9:40pm, which means that arrival into KUL is no longer at 3:00am but at 4:20am now. If only they delayed the departure time by another 30 mins or so, it would be perfect! :good: Obviously, lots of people complained about the ungodly arrival time!

This is great for the Australia Tourist

The thing is, if they are delayed say 30 minutes, they would eat into Sydney's curfew, which I have been told is one of the world's strictest curfews around. Thus, they only have about 20 minutes (I think winter is 10pm - 5am, summer is 11pm - 6am) to play with if they were to have any delays. Hence, pushing departure back is great but they are getting very close to a point where they don't want to be at and that's running into any sort of delay.

Guess MH141 load must have been very poor for them to change. Hope they will keep this schedule long enough to convince pax before bean counter decide not worth paying for extra parking charge at SYD.

:drinks:

The loads look pretty good on those flights, thanks to all the promotions they've had for the 2nd daily flight. First there was the $590 return, which is just fantastic IMO, and now they have a $660 return fare for the MH140 departure. They are trying to increase the profile of their alternative flight to London because most people only know the MH122/123 and MH1/2 combination. Now there's the MH140/141 and MH3/4 combination (although the transit time for this one is longer at 6 hours vs 3 hours). I actually prefer this combination, as it allows me to arrive into London in the afternoon rather than early morning but also allows me to depart SYD after working the same day.

I actually prefer this combination, as it allows me to arrive into London in the afternoon rather than early morning but also allows me to depart SYD after working the same day.

Believe busy executives prefer EK419/EK001, leave SYD at 1950 hour and arrive LHR at 1135 hour the following day. Taking MH140/MH4 would spend a whole working day in the air :pardon:

:drinks:

Sign in to follow this